Archinect
anchor

when money is 'yes' object..

whenever i am browsing the award winning residences in the internets of design awards and architectural org's, i always see homes and detailings as if the money was no object.
yet, i am torn between eliminating a 5K fleetwood aluminum slider or fight for it to the end with 'my' clients in which i've chosen the latter.
why this industry never awards people like me who bust their ass to design something for avarage white man who can't afford 'cool' looking, large, frameless or stainless steel framed pivot doors which costs a cool 40k installed?

Feb 21, 06 6:51 pm
momentum

its easy to be award winning with those kind of budgets

Feb 21, 06 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

rubbish. there are huge numbers of very expensive houses that are also very bad.

Feb 21, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

$5K for a Fleetwood slider?!? Lately, we're seeing $8K for a Fleetwood slider...

If you really "need" the opening, see if the client will go for a Milgard slider (in aluminum of course - not that vinyl shit!) Way cheaper than a Fleetwood, definitely not great quality, but gets you your opening...

BTW, our firm does exclusively modern work and wins our fair share of design awards and get published pretty regularly. Our more expensive projects top out in the $300/sq.ft. range; sometimes cheaper...

Feb 21, 06 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

this award winning architect (name witheld) calls $475 per sq. ft. "a very restricting budget."
i wanna be sedated.

Feb 21, 06 8:54 pm  · 
 · 

dml955i,
the opening is 12'.
does milgard make 12' slider? no.
i could put a post in the middle but i wanna win an award and that compremise would save only 1500 dollars.shitling..

Feb 21, 06 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

shitling is not you btw. its about the choices..

Feb 21, 06 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I will put on my cynical hat and say: the award is based on a few photographs. So frame your photographs in your mind, then push the client to spend more on the items that will appear and scrimp on the stuff out of frame ;-)

I jest, but only partly. One good money shot of a 12' wide free opening is worth a struggle. Good luck Orhan.

Feb 21, 06 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
A

I hear what you are saying, but then again, what's so exotic and award winning about a house that can be made from the parts available at the local Home Depot? Unfortunately scarse and expensive materials are often the things that make a building stand out - thus win awards.

We do feel your pain though. Most archinecters aren't doing $400/sf private residences.

Feb 22, 06 9:16 am  · 
 · 

95% of the design magazine biz is supported by building parts industry. home depot does not need a zine ad when it gives away 500 page catalogs and sale booklets with your sunday paper and have mc donalds in the store.
btw my 5k door was approved this morning. bringing the const cost up to $160 psf. i am okay with that. i don't think my design would be that much different if the client told me i could spend 400psf.

Feb 22, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Glad it was approved. From what I see Orhan you do more with $160/sf than most architects can do with triple that.

Your fan, Donna

Feb 22, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

orhan

160 psf in LA (are you in LA?)

Feb 22, 06 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

thanks d i am a fan too.
mdler, yea sure. you want to see my 125$ psf new house in hillside silverlake? i am not kidding. it is for a guy and his sister who are gonna sell it. of course it is not perfect, and it was pulling a lot of teeth from the contractor who never build anything that simple and boxy..;).
i'll pick you and tony up one these days when the ext. stairs are in. not far from you guys.

Feb 22, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

design awards are stupid

Feb 22, 06 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Hummm....Your Not Living in New England...where the Plumbers vacation in Europe, the electrictians in Tahiti, the Carpanters at
Disney World. Track spec subdivision houses with sloppy looking vinyl siding cost $160.000 sf.

Feb 22, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: