Archinect
anchor

Architecture for grade one?

freq_arch

My daughter's class wants to have me in to do a bit on architecture and I can't think of an approach that seems appropriate for this age level. I've done a high school level talk, but grade one?
Anyone got any ideas?

Feb 21, 06 8:04 am
sporadic supernova

and carry a lego kit to make it "seem fun" ....

ahhh .. the joy of planting the seeds of false hopes !!!

Feb 21, 06 8:20 am  · 
 · 

go on a walking field trip. pointing and answering 'why is that like that?' is fun for all ages. good for building an awareness of and engagement with surroundings, beginning critical thinking. i use it for school kids and for college. but in college i call it 'reading the city'.

Feb 21, 06 8:25 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

My friend runs Atchitots in Brooklyn. Sort of a early childhood through grade school age children learning in through building. It is more important here to look at the way to build understanding into the lesson.

Feb 21, 06 8:35 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Give them some lego, instructions and a timeframe. Make sure that they know pretty much what they are doing, and then hold back from any further communication.

Then, after a while, tell them if they don't stick to schedule that you'll sue them, their friends, and all their sub-friends for more pocket-money than they get in a year, and their christmas presents.

When they start to slip up (late with the piling, poor quality brickwork) offer them a success experience elsewhere, like a swimming lesson, with a set of concrete booties.

That'll learn 'em.

Feb 21, 06 8:38 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Freq_arch..make the kiddies stay in class till late.

very late.

Feb 21, 06 8:48 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

The Canadian Centre for Architecture (CCA always has exhibitions that focus on childhood appreciation of the Built Environment. They also have an awesome collection of toys and books of toys.

The programmes that they run for schoolkids, including kindergarten are detailed here though you will need to scroll down to page 5 to get to it in English.

Feb 21, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I had some 2nd-3rd grade girls draw up a house plan and a site plan. Their own house of course. I brought in a set of plans of a nearby buiding that was going up that they all knew of. They seemed to enjoy it and came up with some neat stuff, that they could then take home to their parents.

Feb 21, 06 9:45 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Do a search for doctor Anne Taylor...she teaches Architecture and Children at UNM and has worked with teaching architecture to kids for over 30 years. She focuses on using it to help kids understand other subjects such as math, science, art, etc.

If you are not able to contact her let me know and I will get her contact info...she has written lots of classroom material for all ages...I am sure you can get those materials...they are all still in publication.

Feb 21, 06 10:08 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

aetaylor [at] unm.edu

Feb 21, 06 10:09 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Every semester at UNM students teach at elementary to highschools around albuquerque...it is part of UNM's social outreach that a student must complete for their degree...so her program has a long history of use and success.

We had kids start with conceptual diagraming...bubble diagramming, etc...and by the end (10 classes total) we help them build a model...teachers loved it, parents loved it, and usually the students enjot it too...I know I did.

Feb 21, 06 10:13 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Thanks for all the responses.
The teacher requested something to tie into the strength of various shapes. I think for this visit I'll probably do a couple of things:
-bring some stuff like hard hats, drawings for interest
-do a little demonstration (maybe like the 'firth of fourth' thing below)
-legos might be fun, too

Feb 21, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

sp: Firth of Forth,

what with there being no Firth of Third

Feb 21, 06 11:46 am  · 
 · 

but there is a fifth third bank. we have them here.

Feb 21, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

you could have someone come in with you as bob the builder. you'll be an instant hit.

Feb 21, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Bob the Builder...
...there's an angle I hadn't thought of...
Thanks to all

Feb 21, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
babs
The American Architectural Foundation

has developed a number of programs designed to educate K-12 students about architecture. AIA Chicago also has developed some materials aimed at young students, although it tends to focus on buildings in the Chicago area.

Feb 22, 06 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
musicman

Just what does "fifth third bank" mean anyway?

Feb 22, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

just one of those life questions i guess, musicman.

Feb 22, 06 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

put em to work...

Feb 22, 06 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
grid

Bring a pretty model they can't touch.

Feb 22, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: