Archinect
anchor

psychological responses to differnt spatial conditions

Ok, so a lot of you may think I'm not very bright, but I have found some books and other readings on this topic, which i will be exploring for my thesis, before i left to study in italy. Since i have been here, it has been almost impossible to research, with limited or no access to the internet and the smallest library ever. With my little time on the internet i try to do some research, but have been joining some forums asking people that have researched on this topic how they went about it and some sources they have used. It will be much needed help to anyone who answers. Thank you. I know this topic is very vague, but please respond anyway.

Feb 20, 06 6:44 pm
PsyArch

Several good pieces / places of research on this topic. A lot of stuff you will see (in libraries) comes from the 60s/70s, when Psychology was not really in a position to contibute anything (truly) useful. For background read some Edward Hall, and Amos Rapoport.

For more modern thinking, the INternational Association for People-Environment Studies has a useful digital library. The InformeDesign pages at University of Minesota and the research digest that they send out is often a good starter.

The American Psychological Association has a couple of chapters with listservs that are sometimes enlightening. I think 34 and 10 (Look for the two named (Rachel and husband) Kaplan on the distribution list). Kaplan & Kaplan's seminal research on the effect of green spaces on developmental achievement are must reads.

The British Psychological Society is not quite so good for this topic.

Firms like DEGW have done the most on implementing this kind of research into the Built Environment, in association with the likes of the Helen Hamlyn Research Centre at the RCA, London.

The key fields are supportive environments for the less abled, work/learn spaces, and healing / medical environments. The hot topic at the moment in Psychology is that of Positive Psychology, i.e. not looking at the mentally deranged, but looking at those who are functioning well, and helping them to function better.

Have a look at those and come back to me. I have accumulated quite a few (disorganised) papers on the crossover. I am interested to hear how you get on with this, so do bump the thread, or email me with progress.

Feb 21, 06 5:09 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'd start with rudolf arnheim...

Feb 21, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

look up the stanford prison experiment

Feb 21, 06 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
chico1625

thanks for you three guys answering, especially you psyarch.. once i get going i'll definetly let u know about my progress

Feb 22, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: