Archinect
anchor

Cheap building materials (interior)

nscheiter

Im doing a quick interior renovation, and im looking for alternative interior materials. Obviously there is a tight budget.

Ive got some great ideas for Elliot Ass. and Pugh/Scarpa's books, but looking for others.

Feb 19, 06 4:32 pm
le bossman

obviously it depends on what you're trying to do...

my favorite cheap interior materials are just engineered woods. mdf, ldf, and osb can be sanded smooth and shellacked like anything else. of course, this is if you are leaning for a more industrial look. mdf is generally very durable though, especially when painted with ceramic paint. there are also a lot of things you can do with fabric; canvas can be pasted on the wall like wall paper, or used to diffuse lighting. different types of felt and lycra fabric also have endless uses. of course i have no idea what you're trying to do...

Feb 19, 06 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
nscheiter

Thanks bossman,

Actually i think it will be close to an industrial look and sort of an urban professional. whatever that means...

I saw some cool details at a local fast food joint, (Qudoba, Bandana's BBQ) where they used alot of corrigated metal and plastic finished w/ engineered woods.

are there any good websites?

Feb 19, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

yeah, good threads... we've been upfitting my loft slowly, I found that material samples are key... and fiberbond

Feb 20, 06 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
e909

homemade adobe :-)

Feb 21, 06 5:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: