Archinect
anchor

Need examples of community based design

Gabe Bergeron

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Archinet, but encouraged by the range of discussions. I wanted to see if people had some suggestions for interesting community based design projects from throughout the world. I'm looking for the following in preparation for a research proposal:

1. Examples of contemporary / current projects that have had a signifigant amount of input from local community members and/or collaborative design groups.

2. Examples of current projects that make use of volunteer involvement.

3. Examples of community based projects or projects with a signifigant level of shared authorship from history.

Any thoughts or discussion on the value of local input in design efforts is also appreciated.

Feb 19, 06 12:16 pm
Philarch

Welcome to Archinect...I'm relatively new to this website as well. I mentioned this in another thread, but the Community Design Collaborative (CDC) based in Philadelphia might be a good resource for you. All the work is volunteered service from professionals in the design/engineering/construction field given to non-profit organizations that can not afford such professionals. They've even sponsored a competition to spread the word about pro-bono work and green/sustainable building technology (what a great combination) to students. They have many examples of their projects so you can take a look.

Feb 19, 06 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
lekizz

Byker Wall in Newcastle, England, is a famous example of an early collaborative project by Ralph Erskine. The design team also set up an office on site as a drop-in community centre for the residents.

Feb 19, 06 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
nightrain

Good Deeds, Good Design (Princeton Architectural Press/Amazon) is a good source book with a variety of approaches. Studio at Large is the work done at U Washington with some good examples too.

Feb 19, 06 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

Grand,

I'll certainly check these suggestions out. I've read through Good Deeds, Good Design, and found much rich material there. Am excited to look at the other suggestions as well.

Food for thought:

Does it seem that participatory design is experiencing a sort of renaissance? Is there a significant movement forming around socially inclusive design?

Feb 19, 06 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
nightrain

No doubt. And I think this is different than the participatory design of the 60's and 70's in one critical way. Back then, it was all process and the quaity of the design fell to a lower priority. Here there is an effort to keep the quality of design high. It's process AND product.

Feb 20, 06 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
cvargie
http://www.designcorps.org/SFI_Conference.htm

Architecture for Humanity
Public Architecture
Association for Community Design
Design Citizen
Loheed Design

Feb 23, 06 11:20 am  · 
 · 
nightrain

I went to the Structures for Inclusion conference last year at City College, NYC (link in post above). It was an impressive range of community-based work work from all over the world, about 15 speakers in one day. Well worth the time and it only cost $25 which included lunch. I'm trying to make it to San Francisco this year.

Feb 25, 06 6:11 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

check out the stuff by:

Archeworks ( check the school blog)
Studio 804
Detroit Collaborative Design Center
Rural Studio

also look on the Association of Community Design

Feb 25, 06 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
rutger
Lucien Kroll
Feb 25, 06 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

Some excellent examples here - looking forward to investigating the new ones.

Ah, Kroll - such great process leading to solid design - I wonder if there is a parallel to Kroll in the U.S.?

Here's an interesting passage from his writings:

"The first enterprise I was invited to manage in France was Vignes Blanches (Illus. 1) 130 council houses in Cergy-Pontoise. I had asked the prospective residents to do drawings themselves of where they would like to live, and I would merely verify the constructibility of the designs, copy them faithfully (removing neither contradictions nor stylistic awkwardness, and retaining diversity), and get them built. This simple and fresh proposal nevertheless invoked violent opposition - hate! - on the part of both fellow architects and developers who cling on to the last vestige of power to remain in charge. For example, a photographic display, which I put up in the French Architectural Institute, was retrieved covered in abuse."

Is this a plausible approach to "our" profession?

Feb 28, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
e909

it's an unusually deep dive into 'process'.

Mar 1, 06 1:37 am  · 
 · 
nightrain

That quote sounds like the architect is empowering the clients but it seems simplistic and naive. Is their expertise in drawing? Isn't that our skill? Sounds like a good way to frustrate the client's participation. There are better ways to get their input than asking them to draw where they want to live.

Mar 3, 06 1:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: