Archinect
anchor

virtual worlds becoming a useful tool

Transparence

Do you foresee virtual worlds becoming a useful tool in the practice of architecture in the next 5 years?

Jan 5, 12 1:25 pm
207moak

It is the context most architects are working in right now.

Jan 5, 12 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
magentasky

Yes, definitely.  As the matter of fact, there is some interesting research being done at UCSD's Calit2 where they are currently developing a virtual 3D CAD system that you can physically walk through and experience the building.  You can also make changes to the building, such as pushing/pulling walls, moving windows, etc.  I firmly believe that's the future of architecture. 

Jan 5, 12 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Eve Edelstein? I remember her from NewSchool of Architecture in San Diego - the school is involved with UCSD's Calit2 Neuroscience and Architecture - UCSD started Virtual design research back when they had an architecture program in the early 90's - 

Jan 5, 12 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
magentasky

SUVERIK, yes it's Eve Edelstein. Her team has developed some pretty interesting virtual programs that one day will find its way into every architecture office. 

Jan 5, 12 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

UCLA was doing that 15 years ago.  That's what they said, too, and had a real time model of LA you could walk through.

No, I do not see it changing in the next 5 years.  I've worked on many real time projects, and while they seem amazing at first, the general public (and clients) lose interest in about 1 minute of playing with it.  It is just too vague and too many choices.  This is why it has never caught on (that, and the hardware requirements, game engine licenses, etc.).

You will surely see more interaction for presentations, but I can' see it being anything more than a more realistic version of SketchUP.  BUT even if real time apps and hardware mature for architects, there is still the dilemma of "showing too much too soon", as in details that aren't resolved, which leads to confusion for the client.

Mobile - you'll see more creative ways to show clients things, such as diagrams, details, etc.. - ways to graphically communicate more complex things.

Conclusion - it sounds good, great sales pitch "you can walk anywhere, change design items, materials, etc., all with a joystick!".  But in reality, it wastes time and will confuse people.

Now, if you add in some little aliens to shoot in the building, then you might get people/clients to actually "play"!

Jan 6, 12 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Ron Teitelbaum

We have been providing software to architects in education for some time now.  It is really interesting to watch them work.  They create virtual buildings, review engineering, do virtual walk throughs, "this hallway narrows to much before the last door, or I didn't realize how much space was left between the column and the window", construction planning "there is no way you can get that through the window, or there is no room left to take delivery of those materials" and much more. 

We provide the environment for 3d models (in a number for formats including Sketch Up, Collada, VRML, 3ds MAX, which works well since a lot of cad software can export in one of these formats) but the environment is just as useful for collaboration and planning (since that is what we do best anyway).  This is especially true for the group at Stanford since the team is spread out all over the world.

5 years is too long, it's happening now, I expect adoption rates to accelerate as more students graduate.

Ron Teitelbaum
Immersive Collaboration Expert
3d Immersive Collaboration Consulting
[email protected]
Follow me on Twitter
twitter.com/RonTeitelbaum
www.3dicc.com

Jan 6, 12 10:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: