Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

apscoradiales

randomised,

no doubt, Feyenoord fans. Ajax fans would never do that...;)))...!

Jan 26, 21 2:17 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Of course they wouldn’t, that’s why they are referred to as fake supporters by others, since they only show up during a good season or leave the stadium before the end of the match ;-)

Jan 27, 21 2:28 am  · 
 · 
quasi-arch

good to know there are some footy fans on this forum 

Jan 26, 21 11:29 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

fuck tom brady, man...

Jan 26, 21 11:37 pm  · 
2  · 
quasi-arch

By footy I meant soccer ;)

Jan 26, 21 11:41 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

oh, right... I guess that's an ok game to watch but only world/euro cup matches. Maybe premier league, If I'm in a scottish pub in france. That last one happened once and it was wonderful.

Jan 26, 21 11:44 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

watching soccer is like "oh, ho hum this is cool I guess." 

Watching soccer in a pub in Europe/ open air street café/ Bulgarian dive bar is a life-affirming experience and the first time I really "got it."

Jan 27, 21 11:25 am  · 
4  · 
proto

I dunno, if the game itself doesn’t inspire you...maybe you just like going to high energy parties

Jan 27, 21 11:36 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Football either separates people or greatly unites them. It's the last vestige of nationalism where Europeans (and South Americans, two continents that understand the game) can express their nationality or pride in their home without being looked down on. EU, being what it is, sort of discourages people from waving their flags, figuratively speaking, in public. So, football is it. Better than lobbing shells onto your neighbours as was gone in the past. In addition, it's the best sport ever invented by people. Unfortunately, hooligans tend to be the by-product of it. But, in reality, football is not to be blamed for it - hooliganism is an illness of a society.

Jan 27, 21 1:20 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

Nah, there's something pretty special about the experience of seeing a proper derby play out ...

Jan 27, 21 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

I am an avid football fan following most of the major European leagues regularly. In the Netherlands, I root for Ajax since the Johan Cruijff days. They revolutionized modern football and made it a very instinctual, brainy, and creative game that is fun to watch. Of course, there's the South American game which is played with pure talent and artistry.
It's one sport that unifies the entire world.

Jan 27, 21 2:58 pm  · 
2  · 
apscoradiales

There I agree with you.

Jan 27, 21 2:59 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

If possible, football should be watched in the stadium though...

Jan 29, 21 2:25 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Orhan Ayyüce,

In defense, for the lack of better term, of randomised, some Dutch people are not the only ones who occasionally sympathised with the German Nazis during WW2. ALL European countries did to some degree, some more than others. You name one European country that didn't see opportunities in the Nazi ways. There were either groups or individuals or the whole friggin' countries who took part in the shiet during WW2 or co-operated with the Nazis. So, to point the finger only at the Dutch is not fair. 

This is the thing about Europe - it has a looooooong history, and some of it is certainly not pretty. One can also point the finger at the Muslims, the Ottomans, present day immigrants - many who came to Europe to seek a better life, only to have some turn into horrible people. Up until recently, the New World was a better place. Unfortunately, things are not all rosy in America (as a continent) any more either.

Jan 27, 21 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

^regurgitating.

Jan 27, 21 3:01 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

The thing about conversations is that we were talking about the Dutch, so your protestation rings like a hollow defense that didn't need to be made.

Jan 27, 21 3:26 pm  · 
2  · 

Personally I don't care how much history of racism a country may have had - they are still fuckwits for continuing to practice it.

Jan 27, 21 3:30 pm  · 
5  · 
tduds

This reminded me of a dril tweet (but not the one I always post!)

Jan 27, 21 9:37 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Some days I undo more than I do. Today is one of those days.

Jan 27, 21 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Ctrl+Z

Jan 27, 21 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

yeah, maybe I should just turn the whole computer off. Can't concentrate worth anything today.

Jan 27, 21 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
quasi-arch

tintt that was me yesterday. Doing better today. Will have to make up some time this weekend though lol, yay, WFH

Jan 27, 21 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

.Hi-Tech Pattern Illustration 63058029 - Megapixl

Jan 27, 21 5:17 pm  · 
4  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yeah and I have a conference call this evening. Forgot to pick my daughter up from school again today. Maybe I need to retire.

Jan 27, 21 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

the therapeutic 'throwing computers through windows' is just another thing ruined by working from home, thanks covid!

Jan 27, 21 6:24 pm  · 
2  · 
curtkram

"operable windows"

Jan 27, 21 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

When I arrived at work this morning I had one major thing on my to do list. I worked my butt off all day, but that one major thing is still not done LOL

Jan 27, 21 8:02 pm  · 
4  · 

So how do you think most hedge fund managers are sleeping tonight LOL

Jan 27, 21 7:15 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm going to start tracking shorts! Is wework still going...[asking for a friend.]

Jan 27, 21 7:43 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Since their entire job is basically gambling, I am having a really hard time feeling bad for them. They can stand to lose some sleep.

Jan 28, 21 9:36 am  · 
1  · 
proto

I agree w/ WG but am dismayed that troll culture seeping into the real world is getting a pat on the back

Jan 28, 21 12:10 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Over the hedge was a cute movie. I liked the bear, even though he was the villain. Is this the same hedge you're talking about?

Jan 28, 21 12:23 pm  · 
2  · 

I'm almost certain that's exactly what everyone is talking about NS. I think the bear also plays video games though.

Jan 28, 21 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

balls. of. steel. assuming it's a guy, but hoping it's not.

Jan 28, 21 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

"...Wood Guy

Since their entire job is basically gambling, I am having a really hard time feeling bad for them. They can stand to lose some sleep...."

Unfortunately, sometimes your investments are with them - depending on your "investment vehicle". So, if they suffer, your portfolio will suffer as well. If you are knowledgeable, keen, and pay attention where your money is invested or what is invested in, you can bypass this shit, but most folks don't know enough about investing nor have the time, so they get burned. Life goes on...

Jan 28, 21 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Good point, my 401K dropped 3% this week. But it went up 6% in the last two weeks so I'm not worried (yet). I don't know if my investment company, American Funds, participates in shorting stocks or not, but I would assume they do.

Jan 28, 21 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Pretty dumb system we got here, if you ask me.

Jan 28, 21 1:24 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

Well, yes and no. If you know what you are doing or hire someone who does as an advisor, you could stay ahead of the inflation or make a few pennies. If you don't, you'll lose your shirt. It's, essentially, legalised form of gambling. One of the keys to investing is knowing when you should cash in, and get out or put your earnings into something else.

Jan 28, 21 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Just because some people win doesn't mean the whole thing isn't real dumb. In fact, when you look at who seems to win the most often, it seems dumber.

Jan 28, 21 1:38 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

@WG - most mutual fund companies don't engage in shorting.

Jan 28, 21 1:43 pm  · 
2  · 
quasi-arch

Just saw this on the BBC page, looks like the fallout from the Grenfell Tower fire continues... yikes!

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/bu... 

Jan 28, 21 9:13 pm  · 
 · 

I mean, I know this would mean substantial liability for the architect but it seems like someone should be subject to a class action lawsuit for selling people dangerous buildings?

Jan 29, 21 10:29 am  · 
 · 
quasi-arch

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I'm US-based!), but my recollection was that the UK didn't have codes prohibiting the use of these materials (in conjunction with certain insulation) on buildings of this height and type, like we do in the US (specifically NFPA 285). The manufacturer, though, did have "fine print" warning not to use the material on a high rise, but this was apparently ignored over there (or not clear). So, they now have a huge stock of buildings that are clad similarly to Grenfell and the gov't must have made it mandatory to remove the materials (retroactive code, almost!). I didn't realize residents now had to foot the bill... NFPA 285 has been in the code for a long time, but it's only really in the last 5-10 years where it really came under the spotlight over here. My previous firm definitely had a bit of a "panic" moment where we were checking all of our projects for any errors.

Jan 29, 21 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

what do you mean Donna? The architect should be sued with class-action lawsuit for pretending this building was safe? If so, yeah that totes makes sense. The shit they did on this project is crazy as hell.

Jan 30, 21 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Class action lawsuits may work differently in UK than they do in USA. From what I've read about this, there is a whole lot of blame to go around, from the architects to the manufacturer of the insulated panels (Celotex/Saint Gobain) to building authorities to the contractor(s). In North American parlance, a total, and complete clusterfvck!

Jan 30, 21 2:27 pm  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

In the UK, some leaseholder contracts stipulate that any major building works require a contribution by the leaseholder to an agreed sum £. This is in addition to any ground rent that they already pay.

Feb 2, 21 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

Can I just say how much the desk at the office makes my face hurt.  Noting is the right size, everything is backwards, and don't get me stared on the grey cubical walls.  

Uhg.  

Jan 29, 21 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

knock a few of those dividers down and build yourself a fort.

Jan 29, 21 11:19 am  · 
 · 

I would but I'm boxed in.

Jan 29, 21 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Cubically Contained

Jan 29, 21 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

I should of seen that coming . . .

Jan 29, 21 12:41 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

this is luxurious compared to my nyc sized desk (equivalent to the single space where the screen is located). hasn't been a problem of late, but i would kill for some privacy.

Feb 1, 21 9:28 am  · 
 · 

I do a lot of sketching, model building, and conceptual design. For me that requires a bit more room and at least 30" deep desks. It's a pet peeve of mine - if you have 24" x 36" drawings you need a 30" deep desk. If you have 30" x 42" drawings you need a 36" deep desk. No architectural workspace should have desks less than 30" deep - it's just stupid.

As for the privacy - I prefer collaboration and open communication.  This is probably because again, I do a lot of conceptual design and find it helpful to be able to actually speak and sketch with others in the office.  

Feb 1, 21 9:56 am  · 
1  · 
proto

friday

Jan 29, 21 8:24 pm  · 
4  · 
Wilma Buttfit

me at 10:30 Saturday morning

Jan 30, 21 4:28 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

That’s a strange coffee mug.

Jan 30, 21 4:50 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Virtual school ends today so kido is back in class (junior K). Now I get to go back to a regular(ish) work day instead of cramming everything between 5 & 9am and 9pm to whenever.  At home for another 10 days, but then I can head back into the office unless local gov decides not enough adults acted like adults over the last 6 weeks.

Unrelate to the odd work hours I mentioned above, anyone attempt SD stuff at 6am before?  Was I silly to expect to get anything done at that time?  3hrs wasted turning in circles which I resolved with an 8-minute series of napkin sketches during virtual school.

Feb 1, 21 8:03 am  · 
4  · 
citizen

Non, my theory is that the 8-minute productivity came at least in part from whatever mental stretching might have happened during that pre-dawn session. At least that's my frequent experience: seemingly mindless, multiple dead-ends at my desk, then a useful thought occurring to me in the shower or on a walk that might not have come without the earlier head-scratching.

Wishes for fun and learning for the kiddo!

Feb 1, 21 7:51 pm  · 
3  · 
axonapoplectic

NS - my schedule is sort of like that too, except my kids are in person two days a week and remote the rest of the week - and I don’t get my chunk of time on the remote days until after 9pm (and I’m usually exhausted by then). The rest of the day is grabbing 30 minutes here, an hour there. Also one of those in person days is a half day and I have to pick them up. Unfortunately what I’m doing right now is a lot of paper pushing and people are getting pissed off that I’m not as responsive.

Feb 1, 21 8:07 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Very good observation. I was racking my head over a elevation design all week and getting frustrated that I could not get anywhere within the 2ish hour blocks I worked. Then as I was driving around for errands on Saturday, It all came together and in 42seconds, a dozen frustrated hours came to fruition.

Feb 1, 21 8:07 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Axo, I know exactly what you mean. These last few weeks would have been much more mangeable if I were doing CA or drawing reviews... but so far 2021 is bringing me only design. A welcome change, but man is it hard to get that type of work done in a piece-meal schedule.

Feb 1, 21 8:30 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Urethra!

Feb 1, 21 8:32 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Daycare opens next week, am delighted...

Feb 2, 21 5:15 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Rando, how long have daycares been shut?

Feb 2, 21 7:26 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

2021 is bringing me a lot of clients that are ridiculously happy with the designs and project management but who want to pay about $14/hour for me to bring them that happiness and who want to text message me 6 times a day to get updates and who also don't feel like paying even though they are perfectly happy with the work, it's just that they are paying for all this other stuff (construction) so money is tight and maybe I can be of a help that way by not being paid and asking me if I can just take this one on for fun, for my portfolio. 4 non-paying clients at once can really make me think twice about what the f I'm doing here. Might have to get a hot dog cart to supplement the income, lol.

Feb 2, 21 7:29 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Tintt, can you at least carry spicy Italian sausages?

And as per your story:

Don't know how construction contracts and permits work in your hood, but we just withhold occupancy and final compliance letters until the accounts are paid-off.  Works well with commercial clients. 

Feb 2, 21 8:01 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm withholding, yes. But sometimes they can wait for weeks or months and therefore I do too. Getting three checks today and the fourth later this week thank goodness. Still really hurts the cash flow and lots of time wasted to remind clients that this is a job for me, that I really do need the money and I'm not charging them to be mean. One of my clients is in the hospital with covid. His son found a post-it note that said to pay me and I'm actually getting paid for that one which was one I was considering letting go so that's nice. And yes, spicy italian sausages we will have. 

Feb 2, 21 8:09 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

NS, daycares were closed in March for 2 months and since December until next week...

Feb 2, 21 9:46 am  · 
1  · 

All this talk of at home learning, daycare, and the general weirdness of kid learning makes me glad that I have no crotch fruit.

Feb 2, 21 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Rando, ours shut down march-july(ish) then again for january.

Feb 2, 21 9:57 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Hopefully this was it, with vaccinations taking off etc. (knocks on wood)

Feb 2, 21 10:27 am  · 
 · 

Have you gotten a vaccination yet rando? I'm not sure what it's like in your country but here in 'Murica the distribution process is not going well . . .

Feb 2, 21 10:39 am  · 
 · 
randomised

We're the slowest vaccinators in the EU, only 1% (positive estimate) of the population got their first shot, mostly healthcare workers or managers and support staff in hospitals and some elderly and people in a risk group. Not sure when I'll be eligible, have to wait and see.

Feb 2, 21 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've been chewing on old pizza boxes and reciting my rosary to fend of C19. So far so good, so it must work, right? I'm "expecting" the shots mid to late summer since I'm in the last group but I have a few family members (medical fields) who got it . I think my wife is in the 2nd group and may expect in come spring. I believe my province is completing the old-age home shots this week (or starting them, not sure, it's complicated).

Feb 2, 21 10:52 am  · 
 · 

Don't feel bad. I'm a type 1 diabetic with asthma and I'm lumped in with group 4 of 4 for getting the vaccine. I was told expect 9-12 months before I can get it.

Feb 2, 21 10:53 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Hopefully you're immunity will last until then...

Feb 2, 21 10:58 am  · 
 · 

I have no idea. I'm still wearing a mask and all that. People around here are actually asking my why I'm still doing these things because they think I can't get infected or infect others. Morons.

Feb 2, 21 12:03 pm  · 
2  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Chad, I was just on the state's website and it looks to me like you are in group 2 with rollout this spring. I don't even see a group 4.

Feb 2, 21 12:25 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

Sorry, I meant group 3. I was told by the state because of my overall healthiness I'm in the last group. I don't know if I should be happy or upset.

I know the quiz says I'm group 2 however the state health department said nope, you're group 3 because you're in better shape than most 'normal' people and we don't have enough vaccines.  

Feb 2, 21 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Well see if you can get heart disease or some other comorbidity and you'll get bumped up.

Feb 2, 21 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

I (jokingly) keep telling my wife to stress out about the vaccine rollout more so she can add hypertension and anxiety to the list of health issues so she might get bumped ahead in line.

Feb 2, 21 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

I could always try and get both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.

Feb 2, 21 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

That's the spirit!

Feb 2, 21 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

I was supposed to be phase 1c of Chicago’s plan, but the surgery got rid of all my previous co-morbidities. I’m last in line now.

Feb 2, 21 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This is infuriatingly good, on two levels: https://www.mcsweeneys.net/art...

Feb 2, 21 2:33 pm  · 
5  · 

only two levels?

Feb 2, 21 2:39 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

God damn that is excellent. 

Feb 2, 21 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Brilliant.

Feb 2, 21 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Well one one level it's a perfect skewering of the "outside" dining solutions popping up around the country. And on another level it absolutely nails archi-speak. There might be other levels as well.

Feb 2, 21 2:54 pm  · 
1  · 

This might be implicit in the archi-speak level, but I also liked the level on which it was all to post-rationalize and give meaning to the decisions made which largely had no thought put into them at all.

"My process for this piece was thoughtful yet improvisational, driven by curiosity and discovery. First, I imagined my ideal restaurant. Then, I built a smaller, more ramshackle version of that, and put it in the street. That was pretty much it. Unless you consider writing this statement part of my artistic process, which would be fair since the elaborate act of justifying why all of this is okay takes about as much energy as the rest of it."

It's what I felt like in most of my art and design classes.

Feb 2, 21 3:36 pm  · 
1  · 

There's also the (political?) satire level:

"Finally, I would be remiss if I did not thank the government for failing to provide this restaurant with the help it would need to simply stay closed through this pandemic. Their lack of support makes my art possible."

Feb 2, 21 3:40 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Thanks for sharing, I really needed that...working on a teaching and research statement and could really use some inspiration!

Feb 2, 21 3:50 pm  · 
1  · 

testing

Feb 2, 21 3:03 pm  · 
2  · 

Well, I had to change my password so it looks like liberty bell is dead now.

Feb 2, 21 3:04 pm  · 
1  ·  5
JLC-1

long live the queen!

Feb 2, 21 3:13 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

I'm sorry... I couldn't save her.

Feb 2, 21 3:35 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

Gunned down in her prime.

Feb 2, 21 3:56 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Aw, that makes me sad. May she rest in piece.

Feb 2, 21 4:44 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

NOT. ON. MY. WATCH!!

Feb 2, 21 8:14 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Donna has better hair.

Feb 3, 21 7:13 pm  · 
1  · 

On the plus side, a product rep just served us Cosmos out of the back of a van in the parking lot. Much less seedy than it sounds! 

Feb 2, 21 4:04 pm  · 
7  · 
JLC-1

it looks awesome

Feb 2, 21 4:22 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

I'm all about seedy rep experiences. Gotta take your perks where you can get them in this business!

Feb 2, 21 4:27 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Orange Converses? Nice.

Feb 2, 21 4:50 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

Nice! A brewery client just dropped off a couple cases of craft brew for us this afternoon. Cheers!

Feb 2, 21 5:32 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I don't know, that has Sex Wagon vibes.

Feb 2, 21 8:12 pm  · 
5  · 
proto

my bosch glr225 laser measure is dying -- what do you folks use for laser for as-builts?

Feb 3, 21 7:00 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

an intern.

Feb 3, 21 7:04 pm  · 
5  · 
citizen

Interns and lasers... is there anything they can't do?Image result for laser gif

Feb 3, 21 7:27 pm  · 
3  · 
proto

so, these interns come with lasers now...? huh

looking at that ^^^ ... i think just the laser is gonna be cheaper

Feb 3, 21 7:32 pm  · 
2  · 

Is that how laser cutters work. I keep hearing the interns talk about them . . .

Feb 4, 21 1:03 pm  · 
1  · 
urbanity

we use a consulltant to do the building survey drawings. building survey is a direct contract from consultant to owner.

Feb 5, 21 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

Electrician on one of our jobs was fired for not wearing a mask after getting into an argument with some guy who pointed it out. Guy was making 130k a year and threw it away. And here I am two mass layoffs in working impossible deadlines for less than half that double masking it.  

Feb 4, 21 7:12 am  · 
3  · 

flatroof are you wearing your mask(s) while seated at your desk?

Feb 4, 21 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

We have to wear a mask if we leave our desk area

Feb 4, 21 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

Even though we can take our masks off at our desks when in the office, I still keep it on.

Feb 4, 21 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

What about pants?

Feb 4, 21 12:46 pm  · 
4  · 

I never wear pants - they infringe on my liberties and personal freedoms. 'MURICA!

I do wear a mask though because I'm not a selfish asshole.

Feb 4, 21 1:02 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

Briefs: like a n95 mask for your butthole.

Feb 4, 21 1:07 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

cropdusters scoff

Feb 4, 21 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

I’ve gotten into Kilts lately, although they are most certainly NOT SUITED for Chicago winters.

Feb 4, 21 4:14 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Today, the only thing keeping me alive is Bad Seed Teevee. On YouTube. I should probably keep it going.

Feb 4, 21 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

I am beginning to think “self motivated” is a potential red flag in job descriptions. It could mean there’s very little support, they under staff their projects, the boss is a jerk who no one wants to work for, or they need someone who is “motivated” to work long hours for little pay.

Can you stay motivated to do the work while we exploit you?

Feb 4, 21 3:56 pm  · 
6  · 
Wood Guy

Maybe. As a former design manager and before that as a construction manager, I can say that it's no fun to have to cater, cajole and bribe employees to do what they should be able to do on their own. It takes a lot of time and mental energy that should be spent elsewhere. But I'm sure the phrase has been misused as well.

Feb 4, 21 4:16 pm  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

Lol… agreed. I get that on employee reviews. To them ‘self motivated’ appears to mean, I’ll assign you a project, without any additional support and do the same for all your co-workers. Then you’ll better be ready for a Hunger Game’ish environment fighting, forming alliances, etc. to secure resources and staff to help you. I also need to “step up” which is essentially to climb over and beat down lesser PM’s taking more of the staff to meet my deadlines thus showing I'm not only motivated, but a fierce PM worthy of patronage of the game host. If I do really good, I can be paraded in front of clientele like the prized PM I am; my costume this year might have a bowtie :P

Feb 4, 21 4:38 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

^ Only the bowtie; nothing else ;o]

Feb 4, 21 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

mightyaa, you're hired!

Feb 4, 21 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

The other red flag is 'dedicated'. You don't think someone is dedicated who became an architect? Oh you mean willing to work long hours for no additional pay. Yeah fuck off.

Feb 4, 21 6:43 pm  · 
3  · 
shellarchitect

"Take Ownership" is a huge red flag to me... as in "Please take ownership of ____," despite clearly having no ownership stake.

Feb 5, 21 10:23 am  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The misuse of that phrase is abundant, and the guilt lays on those in power. I think a well run organization is one that sets the flag in the ground, and allows those with the skills to realize that vision, to have the autonomy to do it. Lead, and get out of the way.

Feb 5, 21 10:46 am  · 
 · 
square.

+1 shell. these are all euphemisms for opportunities of exploitation.

Feb 5, 21 11:25 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Better Than BIG

Feb 4, 21 7:12 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

That’s seriously impressive. I wish I had that kind of free time, though.

Feb 4, 21 7:16 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Wonder how much of that was bought from Lester Freamon.

Feb 5, 21 10:07 am  · 
3  · 
square.

obscure wire reference ftw.

Feb 5, 21 10:15 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Classic. You are likely correct.

Feb 5, 21 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You guys, my contractor client that had covid and was in the hospital for weeks and his family called to tell me they weren't sure he was going to make it -- He is out of the hospital and back in the office!

Feb 5, 21 8:34 am  · 
8  · 
Jaetten

A joke, inspired by real life events:

How many GTI drivers does it take to change a headlight?

Doesn’t matter, they still couldn't do it right. 

*I apologise to any Golf drivers who can change their headlights properly. 

Feb 5, 21 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
proto

is that a dig on the drivers?

cuz VW headlights are stoopidly inaccessible

Feb 5, 21 6:51 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

the contractor on my private private project said this to me; why do you need to see finish submittals, I assumed that everything in your drawings is correct? fuck. me.

Feb 7, 21 8:42 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

that happens often on my projects with one particular contractor. I guess placing "must submit shop drawings prior to fabrication or installation" notes on every sheet is not enough.

Feb 8, 21 8:59 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

Submittals are not to double check our drawings, they're to double check your sub's reading comprehension.

Feb 8, 21 2:02 pm  · 
9  · 
randomised

The LSD comments (giant spiders!) in the discussion about Studio Gang's aspen inspired project somehow reminded me of this video.

Feb 9, 21 4:25 am  · 
1  · 
proto

Modern problems, vol 2021...:

anyone seeing AHJs pushback on the word "master" bedroom/bath/suite in residential review?

my engineer, on a project I'm not involved with, got a checksheet to change "master" to "primary"...so "Primary Bedroom"...

i understand the push on language, but it also seems a bit much to issue a check sheet on it. It is outside their review bounds [doesn't affect life safety]...but then, it is Portland...

He told me he also got a check sheet for not having his rev bubbles in red on another project (pdf submission)...wtf?

these are both coming over the course of this pandemic/cut-staffing/lower budget time period...

Feb 11, 21 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Haven't seen it from the AHJ, but have been seeing it on drawings I'm reviewing. "Primary" bedroom, etc.

Feb 11, 21 3:06 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

I tried to make my project switch to Primary or Owner's bedroom but that didn't really work out. Oh well. Got bigger fish to fry.

Feb 11, 21 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I do my best to be sensitive to those with experiences different than mine, and when I heard about the movement to stop using "master" for bedrooms and bathrooms I got on board. Upon further review I'm not sure it's really warranted but I don't have strong feelings about it. So now I just ask my clients what they would like to call it--it sets the stage that I'm a sensitive new age guy but not rigid in my approach.

Currently I have several Master Bedrooms, a few Primary bedrooms, a few Principal bedrooms, and several that are just numbered bedrooms. Personally I like the idea of using numbers the most. Especially since many of my clients sleep in separate rooms, though they are usually loathe to admit it.

While I support the cause, having the AHJ call it out seems extreme to me.

Feb 11, 21 5:04 pm  · 
2  · 
curtkram

how do Canadians do concrete?  It's crazy cold here and my project is shut down for like a week and a half.  This is like spring for you guys, right?

The framers tried to get work done, but their compressors kept freezing up.  Do you have different compressors? 

Feb 11, 21 10:09 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

um... define crazy cold? -21c the other day and we went to play outside in the snow. Anyways, there are cold-weather admixtures but typically when I've had concrete poured in our winters, they cover the slabs with blankets and pump heat in. It's not cheap tho. I had one project a while back where the masons thought it was a good idea to lay the brick in january. The workers were in t-shirts thanks to the many propane burners inside their little work tents. Side story, ever have to discuss the load-bearing properties of river ice for movable cranes? I have.

Feb 11, 21 11:36 pm  · 
1  · 

When working in Duluth MN I've had to discuss the forces generated by shore ice and ice from noreasters.

Also be careful with those cold weather concrete addmixtures if you're going to be doing staining and / or polishing - they can impact the quality of those processes.  

Feb 12, 21 9:49 am  · 
 · 

So I had an ablation done on my heart yesterday.  Everything went fine and the doctor thinks there is a 99% chance they burnt out all of the extra electrical lines leading to my heart. 

Now I just have to deal with the fact that they (two 25 year old nurses) shaved my groin and told me it was 'no big deal'.  My ego has been crushed.  :)

Feb 12, 21 10:13 am  · 
9  · 
SneakyPete

What was no big deal, though? The shaving or the groin? Absent any evidence to the contrary I think you're fine.

Feb 12, 21 11:54 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

I've been shaved there 2 times, for my bachelor party and for my vasectomy; the big deal comes after the shave.

Feb 12, 21 12:34 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Itchy AF for a while.

Feb 12, 21 1:23 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Great news, Chad!  I do find it odd when I go in for a back adjustment, they say I need my groin shaved =O/

Feb 12, 21 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

That's great Chad, I hope it helps. The groin comments remind me of the doctor who gave a prostate exam. He said, "don't worry, an erection is normal." The patient said, "I don't have an erection." Doctor said, "I wasn't talking about you." Happy Friday.

Feb 12, 21 6:42 pm  · 
4  · 

Oh my god the itching.

Feb 12, 21 9:42 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

I watch a lot of Music Youtube (not "music" on youtube, but videos by & for musicians about music and theory), and one of my favorites is Adam Neely. 

This is from a few years back but I just came across it last night for the first time. I want to share it here because the message of it really resonated with me as it relates to architecture and design.

I know this feeling well: You put thousands of hours and sometimes years of your life into a project, and inevitably when it's finished what you see are the mistakes, or the things you realized could have been done better after it was too late to change, or the sort of anti-climax of walking away from the project only to start another. It's too easy to let that feeling take the main stage & overshadow the deep satisfaction that can be gained by enjoying the process. 

I'm spending 2021 learning to be a Happy Sisyphus.

Feb 12, 21 1:17 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The contractor I noted above, has me banging my head. 

Every time I do a new set of drawings, I take the lessons learned from the last time, and try to make the next set better. This last set of drawings is the best set I've put together. Thoroughly detailed, clearly delineated information, pretty damn good. So how do I end up with the dumbest mf? Why is there tile in places not drawn, or listed in the schedule? Why am I not getting samples or draw downs of paint per the schedule....? 

You know what, I'm going to better on the next set, and then I'm going to be the contractor, so that way when he fucks up, my boot will have less distance to travel.

Feb 12, 21 3:11 pm  · 
3  · 
gibbost

(Sorry, meant to reply to comment above)

I've never been able to put into words the feeling that you describe above.  I'm psyched about a project all the way up until the punch walk.  After that, I lose interest or begin dissecting it for all its flaws.  I agree with your approach in trying to find the joy after the project is complete.

Also, on youtube, I really enjoy Rick Beato's 'What Makes This Song Great'  He pulls a song apart and shows you how each piece is made while also giving some fun backstories for much of the music we all grew up with.

Feb 12, 21 3:17 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Beato is a cool dude.

Feb 12, 21 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I only recently stumbled across Beato. Great stuff.

Feb 12, 21 3:37 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I just wish he'd quit trying to tame his amazing hair. That, however, is my cross to bear.

Feb 12, 21 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Started my week designing custom railing posts for a waterfront bar/patio... and finished it by starting (our team was short-listed) a group of 25storey net zero office buildings competition.

Feb 12, 21 3:51 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

They've got you pigeonholed, eh?

Feb 12, 21 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Everyone has their role. Mine comes with a bottle of maple syrup.

Feb 13, 21 7:33 am  · 
1  · 

I’m currently building the 9000 piece Roman Colosseum Lego set and fear it might be turning me into a trad.

Feb 13, 21 6:01 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

Have you stepped on any pieces while barefoot yet? (I haven't heard any swearing from you....)

Feb 13, 21 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

Just finished the shopping street set with my oldest (its the one with a cargo bike and a very narrow bike lane). These sets are very different from what I remember when I was growing up. There are a lot of fun little hidden details.

Feb 13, 21 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

We have a huge collection of hand-me-down lego, and this is was the first set we bought. I had forgotten how satisfying a new set is - and both my kids were enthralled by it (and I enjoyed helping out). I have definitely been eyeing the more “adult” sets. The colosseum looks pretty cool.

Feb 13, 21 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

Apropos of absolutely nothing except my own current experience: hot flashes fucking suck. Anyone out there spending time around women of menopausal age *please* grant them grace. It’s awful.

Feb 13, 21 9:59 pm  · 
5  · 
JLC-1

continuum is studying for the ARE and troll quizzing archinect, how obvious and annoying.

Feb 15, 21 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey, at least we know that's one wanker who won't be able to come after our jobs.

Feb 15, 21 4:43 pm  · 
1  · 

continuum?

Feb 16, 21 10:39 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

yes, this guy

Feb 16, 21 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

Uhg.  Death by a 1,000 paper cuts. 

I'm working on too many projects.  Ten projects ranging from $300k to $10 million.  Thankfully the biggest project has a team more than just me.  

I can't wait until the new PM starts!  

Oh TC bump back to the main page!

Feb 18, 21 10:54 am  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

Sounds like you successfully hired someone then?

Feb 18, 21 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

That's what they say. Starts next month.

Feb 18, 21 4:36 pm  · 
1  · 

I got hit on today. By some, like, 30yo horndog?! I was wearing my mask so I don’t think he realized how old I am. I just laughed.

Feb 19, 21 7:03 pm  · 
8  · 
archanonymous

uh... congratulations?

Feb 19, 21 7:06 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Does Brad know about this?

Feb 19, 21 7:28 pm  · 
6  · 
proto

#stillgotit

Feb 19, 21 10:35 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

#puttingthehotinhotflashes

Feb 19, 21 11:10 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Was that you?

I sorry, not sorry.

Feb 20, 21 7:51 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

Wait... isn't that the guy who stole all of that nice lady's money? ;o]

Feb 20, 21 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
proto

how is this handrail/“guard rail” ok? Esp in California, land of bureaucratic oversight

https://www.archdaily.com/956893/wang-house-saez-pedraja-plus-calma?ad_source=search&ad_medium=search_result_all

Feb 20, 21 1:33 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Either:

1) It's a hyper-realistic miniature of the kind built by Toni Collette in Hereditary, and there's only 4 inches from floor to rail; or 

2) It's the first built project complying with the updated Calif Bldg Code requiring "full-time, on-site guardrail nanny to patrol all floor offsets, and paid prevailing wage (including overtime for nights and weekends)." Clearly this is pre-CofO, since the FTOSGN is not present.

Feb 20, 21 2:21 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm not sure I see a problem.

Feb 20, 21 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

or 3) the code was published with a typo: "guardrails must be of a design which will not allow a 4-foot sphere to pass through."

Feb 20, 21 5:27 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

the drawings show a solid rail, up to code; I would get in trouble if the built rail wasn't like the drawings.

Feb 20, 21 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

We've all seen this before. They "install" a railing to get past inspection, and tear it out afterwards. The liability lies with the homeowner.

Feb 20, 21 5:56 pm  · 
3  · 
curtkram

rendering, or photoshopped out the glass?

Feb 20, 21 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Everyone wears super quick deploying parachutes at all times.

Feb 21, 21 1:16 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Possibly Photoshop, or shot before cable rails or infill panels (glass, steel or wood) were installed.

Feb 21, 21 12:51 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Anyone else bothered by that right door’s latch side being so close to the built in furniture?

Feb 21, 21 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I think it's a bad photoshop:

Feb 21, 21 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Pete, I'm not sure what you're circling but the original image is more clear than the link above: https://images.adsttc.com/media/images/6025/4b1f/f91c/81c4/f200/0312/slideshow/SAEZ-PEDRAJA-CALMA-WANG-13.jpg?1613056769. The floor boards break at the post, which would be the easiest approach. The shadow on the left in this image is a bit suspicious, though: https://images.adsttc.com/media/images/6025/499d/f91c/81b8/c700/033c/slideshow/SAEZ-PEDRAJA-CALMA-WANG-10.jpg?1613056387. In a house as bright as that one probably is, they would have to do some photo correction that could result in splotchy areas.

Feb 21, 21 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm circling the lack of ambient occluded shade. The wall under the shadow in your second image is smeary, kind of like what might happen when you use the clone and healing brushes badly. Or let content-aware fill go nuts. Other images show cleaner lack of legal railing, making me wonder if this might be a mix of two photo sessions, once before the panels were removed, one after.

For example, I don't think anyone photoshopped this one:

Feb 21, 21 4:08 pm  · 
1  · 

citizen, was Hereditary good? I love Toni Collette (I just rewatched Muriels' Wedding when my husband was out of town last weekend, 20+ years later it's still awesome!) and I've heard really weird things about Hereditary.

Feb 22, 21 3:47 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

That's funny, Donna, because I just ran across TC in the remake of Fright Night. She's been in everything! I just rewatched Muriel's Wedding recently and had forgotten how good it/she is. Hereditary is dark and disturbing, and grows more so to a horrifying conclusion. TC is great, as is the whole cast. Bonus for architects: the amazing (real?) models she makes. 

So: watch it, but in a sunny room with lots of other people around =o|

Feb 22, 21 4:39 pm  · 
1  · 

Note the picket railing infill through the glass on the top floor here: https://images.adsttc.com/media/images/6025/4952/f91c/81c4/f200/030c/slideshow/SAEZ-PEDRAJA-CALMA-WANG-7.jpg?1613056321

Feb 22, 21 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Good eye, EA. I believe that's the same location as this, top of stairs: https://images.adsttc.com/media/images/6025/4b5f/f91c/81c4/f200/0316/slideshow/SAEZ-PEDRAJA-CALMA-WANG-17.jpg?1613056844. Note the sloppy photoshop work at the corner post.

But check out the stair railing here--looks like metal, but beefier than the interior shots.

. L
Feb 22, 21 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

EA that picked railing is not the slender slim elegant one from the interior shots, could be even a reflection of a balcony across the street, no?

Feb 23, 21 2:58 am  · 
 · 

The house across the street doesn't have white picket railing infill on the balcony. https://images.adsttc.com/media/images/6025/4804/f91c/81c4/f200/0302/slideshow/SAEZ-PEDRAJA-CALMA-WANG-4.jpg?1613055991

My guess, and I could be completely wrong, is that they staged and took most of the photos before the railings were installed. Could have even been a situation where the owner took a credit for picket rails instead of glass, but the architect wanted the look of the original design before it got sullied with the pickets. The aerial shots outside could have been taken on a different date after the railings were installed. If they went with a drone photographer, there could have been scheduling or flight permitting issues.

The lighting is different so I know it was at least at a different time of day ... but even some of the interior shots look like they had different lighting conditions indicating the photo shoot took up different times of the day. Hard to say for sure what really happened, but at least that one shot shows a railing that would be code compliant. The rest, absolutely not.

Feb 23, 21 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I grew up in a house that had non compliant railings as well as interior atriums that, if you fell, would have killed ya. I survived.

Feb 23, 21 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I wish the necro'd welding thread was titled, "The good, the bead, and the ugly."

That is all.

Feb 22, 21 6:59 pm  · 
6  · 
archanonymous

Random employment-related aside - Archinect's featured employers this week include Bestor architects (https://archinect.com/news/art...) hiring a Senior Architect with 5-10 years experience.

In what world does 5-10 years experience qualify someone as "Senior"? Seems like its just a way to pay less for someone less qualified to take on the same responsibilities a 10-20 year experience architect used to. Will inevitably lead to more stress, job dissatisfaction, burnout, and worse projects.

Feb 23, 21 10:12 am  · 
 · 

I have around 15 years experienced and I wouldn't call myself a senior architect. There is still so much I don't know . . .

Feb 23, 21 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

is it 5-10 years post license? That's sorta how senior gets labelled in my office but really it means nothing since no-one except management gets titles (other than architect). But if everyone is now senior after a Nickle, what's the next tier?

Feb 23, 21 10:35 am  · 
1  · 

That's a good point NS. I assumed that experience was since graduation.

Feb 23, 21 10:41 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Super-senior.

Feb 23, 21 11:04 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I'm a super-senior then with 32 years coming up in april!

Feb 23, 21 11:06 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

in any case, this ad made me look into the "studio", and it seems they secured a contract without the knowledge to make it happen, as it shows they haven't built anything https://archinect.com/jobs/entry/150250854/partner-level-consulting-architect

Feb 23, 21 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You really want "SS" attached to your professional title?

Feb 23, 21 11:16 am  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

Off topic but related--the terms magazine and web editors use are funny. Starting at the bottom you have associate editors. Then senior editors. Then Editors. Above Editor is Deputy Editor. Finally, Executive or Managing Editor. Maybe we need the same system for architects.

Feb 23, 21 11:29 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

I want SS before my title. Like I'm a boat.

Feb 23, 21 12:50 pm  · 
6  · 
archanonymous

Here comes the SS TDUDS pulling in to port!

Feb 23, 21 1:07 pm  · 
4  · 

That just sounds dirty for some reason.

Feb 23, 21 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Tonight only, dancing on the main stage: SSTDUDS!!!

Feb 23, 21 1:25 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Can't spell SS Tduds without S T D. I'll see myself out.

Feb 23, 21 1:35 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

And like that *blows fingers* he was gone (orrhea).

Feb 23, 21 1:41 pm  · 
4  · 

Back on topic, the job post in question notes that licensure is not required. So 5-10 years is just in the industry, not post licensure. I agree that this seems like the intent is to get someone willing to take on more responsibility without needing to pay for a more experienced architect.

Edit to add a #humblebrag: I was titled as a "Senior Associate" at a firm with less experience ... but that's just me.

Feb 23, 21 1:46 pm  · 
4  · 

You only got called a senior architect because you kept yelling at people for driving too fast and walking on your lawn.

Feb 23, 21 5:01 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

^the senior citizen architect

Feb 23, 21 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

My current title is "Senior Technical Architect, Principal". "Principal" doesn't mean even close to the same thing here as it does everywhere else (I'm below an "Architect, Supervising" and at least three rungs below "Architectural Manager"), but that won't stop me putting it on my resume if I'm ever looking for another job.

Feb 23, 21 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I've never liked titles. They changed my title not too long ago and I just kept using "Project Architect" on my email sig. Never ordered new business cards. 

"Project Architect" actually describes what I do unlike Architect III, Senior Architect, Design Leader, or Project Director. 

Ooooh business cards. 

Those are never coming back post-pandemic. "Here, take this damp piece of cardstock that's been in my pocket all day, it smells like my ass."

Feb 23, 21 7:16 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

.The Far Side Dog Names | Funny cartoons, Far side cartoons, Far side comics

Feb 23, 21 8:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

Been racking my brain on design and construction documentation software for my solo Interior Design business... Think I've settled on Vectorworks!

Feb 24, 21 1:14 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Can you explain your reasoning? I've been trying to justify upgrading from Autocad LT and Sketchup for 15 years now and have a few architect friends who use and like Vectorworks. But others prefer Archicad or Revit.

Feb 24, 21 1:27 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I used VW at my first job. The autosave nearly ruined me, often saving a giant blank project when I deleted something inadvertently or when I entertained a wild thought and, at the end, closed it thinking "This was not what I wanted, I'll just close, not save, and reopen instead of undoing 100 things". So, yeah, be aware of that. And the bad compatability with industry standards was a constant drain on morale, resources, staff, etc.

Feb 24, 21 1:47 pm  · 
2  · 
Jaetten

Wood, that's my current setup! The only issue I take with AutoCAD LT and SketchUp is making design changes when information needs to be updated in 2D and 3D - you're doing twice the work. SketchUp alone is naff for construction documents, it takes longer than AutoCAD and I dislike the Layout leaders. 

Revit and full AutoCAD are too expensive, both good in their own right, but not cost effective as a sole practitioner. I looked into Revit LT, good price point but no local rendering and no model in place. The latter makes custom cabinetry more complicated. Its not unworkable but it slows the process. 

That's where the benefits of vectorworks should come in, the functionality to price ratio. The Architect plan is approximately 50% cheaper than Revit. The fundamentals is a fraction more than Revit LT but allows rendering and is easier for custom cabinetry. 

SneakyPete, that is a concern, does it not save a new file for every autosave like Revit? I haven't look too much into standards as of yet. 

I'll be trialling VW and Revit LT in the coming weeks on a basic renovation concept for my own home so I can see which works out more efficient.

Feb 24, 21 2:26 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

This was back in 2007, I haven't kept up with things, I apologize if you find that my information is woefully out of date.

Feb 24, 21 3:11 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

If you’re trialling VW and Revit LT, might as well give ArchiCAD a try...

Feb 24, 21 4:25 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

rant of the day, dealing with a client who wants a no overhang house at 9000', can't understand solar exposure or uv damage. this one will come back to bite us in 5 years.

Feb 24, 21 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Easy, recess the windows 4’ into the space.

Feb 24, 21 3:23 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Waivers are your friend.

Feb 24, 21 4:56 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Robust rain screen, vented roof, high quality European membranes and tapes for a bulletproof WRB, recessed windows, brise soleils...

How do roof overhangs help with sun exposure except at mid-day?

Feb 24, 21 6:22 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Depends on how high your roof eave is relative to the adjacent floor, no?

Feb 24, 21 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Big trees?

Feb 24, 21 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

UV damage and solar exposure for a house with no overhanging or shading elements isn't going to be dramatically higher than one with said overhangs. Unless you typically design large overhangs with wrap around covered porches on everything.

Feb 24, 21 7:09 pm  · 
4  · 
Bench

Wood Guy - time to throw out one more promo for the brewery talk tonight? I am genuinely excited for this one...

Feb 25, 21 8:51 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Bench, I don't want to overdue promotions here, but since you asked ;-)

https://mailchi.mp/1aa1da4c822b/the-bs-beer-show-april-30-5896500.

I've known Jesper for 10+ years and he's just a great guy all around and does excellent work. I'm looking forward to hear what Anna has to contribute as well; I don't know her. It should be a fun and informative show.

Next week, Kohta Ueno from Building Science Corp will be joining us to talk about building envelope monitoring. Join our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/3e8e27ba8332/thebsandbeershow.

Feb 25, 21 9:56 am  · 
2  · 

Not that you need one more place to plug the show, but a blog for the series would be an idea to allow you to promote it on the site without feeling like you’re taking over the forums. Would also allow discussion after the show in the comments etc. Though with the show, the newsletter, the YouTube channel, etc. do you really need one more thing to worry about each week?

Feb 25, 21 10:04 am  · 
1  · 
Bench

I'll also throw out a relevant case study that I visited just before pandemic shutdowns:

https://cowbellbrewing.com/sus...

Certainly not viable in an urban setting, but this brewery is attempting to integrate a lot of rural-specific sustainability measures into their business plan; the overall net-zero vision they're pursuing is well done. And the brewery design is quite good too!

Feb 25, 21 10:10 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

We do encourage follow-up conversation at GBA: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blog/bs-and-beer, and Kiley (GBA editor and BS + Beer co-host) does a brief recap of each show. We would like to do more but it's a volunteer effort and we're all stretched pretty thinly right now. Something to keep in mind, though!

Feb 25, 21 10:27 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Wow, that is a cool brewery! And I can appreciate their mission.

Feb 25, 21 10:28 am  · 
 · 

Maybe you just need an archinector who regularly attends the show* to volunteer to post the topic to a new blog and follow up with a recap, video, and discussion.

*unfortunately, that rules me out

Feb 25, 21 12:21 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

The shows are recorded so you don't have to be there live! Though the chat box comments are often as interesting as the discussion, and those don't make it onto the recording. We will gladly accept volunteers to recap the show. We're also looking into transcribing software for those who prefer to read. And we're on podcasts, supposedly wherever podcasts are found.

Feb 25, 21 12:44 pm  · 
2  · 
archi_dude

Can the entire industry just boycott 3rd party CMs? Literally zero value add and 10x the work for worse results. 

Feb 26, 21 12:05 pm  · 
3  · 
turtleislandcitizen

Their primary purpose is to create more work for others (architect, contractor) so as to justify their fee. The premise is the Architect and Contractor - not to mention the Owner - do not know how to do their part of the job. Thus the third party CM comes in to fill in for the Owner's "gaps," and to police the Architect and Contractor against doing a poor job on their end. What if...the Owner hired an Architect and Contractor that know how to do their job, and actually DO do their job? Perhaps the third party CM wouldn't be needed then. Perhaps then the real value add to the Owner would be significant.

Mar 21, 21 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Spending my Saturday drawing garage permit drawings for my own house. Woo, so glamorous. 

Feb 27, 21 12:38 pm  · 
6  · 
bowling_ball

That's great. You're getting things done! All I've done this winter is go to work, then come home and sit on my butt all weekend. Not finding the motivation. Be proud!

Feb 27, 21 3:37 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Saturday, model, learning Enscape, with Pistachio Cream Ale.

Feb 27, 21 4:27 pm  · 
5  · 
SneakyPete

Are those material spheres in enscape or a website?

Feb 27, 21 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I spy a finger trainer. I also have one at my desk.

Feb 28, 21 7:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I spy a finger trainer. I also have one at my desk.

Feb 28, 21 7:36 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

SP, that's the Poliigon web page. I love my finger trainers. Trying to get my grip strength up for jiu-jitsu.

Feb 28, 21 10:59 am  · 
2  · 
bowling_ball

b3ta are you still training during this pandemic? All our gyms have been closed for almost a year and I miss it so much

Feb 28, 21 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

NO! I have to wait until me and my SO get fully vaccinated. But my school is open.

Feb 28, 21 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

So yeah, if losing over 100 lbs wasn’t enough of a change, I decided to switch firms and start tomorrow! 

Feb 28, 21 6:29 pm  · 
13  · 
archanonymous

where you headed?

Mar 1, 21 11:00 am  · 
 · 

Moody Nolan!

Mar 1, 21 7:47 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

Nice, congratulations!

Mar 1, 21 8:02 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

firm of the year!

Mar 2, 21 4:09 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I just got my first stamp on Friday. My first province does not issue them unless you also hold a certificate of practice + insurance. Quebec is different, speak French and you get a stamp. It’s like the Moria riddle but with fewer tentacles. Wankers did not mail me an ink pad so I have yet to stamp anything. 

Feb 28, 21 7:00 pm  · 
6  · 

So far I’ve only used my stamp to mark possession of my books

Feb 28, 21 7:13 pm  · 
4  · 
atelier nobody

I only ever used a CAD block of my stamp for several years before an AHJ demanded a "wet" stamp - I had to order one and pay extra for expediting and overnight delivery.

Mar 1, 21 12:16 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Nice, Non!  Forget that ink pad... just use clients' tears or contractors' blood.

Mar 1, 21 8:31 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

Mine's never touched ink. When I got it, I found out that technically it belongs to the provincial Association, and therefore they can recall it at their discretion. I lost it for a few years but last week I uncovered it in the attic. Not that my provincial Association even allows wet stamps any longer. How's that for stupid?

Mar 1, 21 9:57 pm  · 
1  · 
shellarchitect

Self inking of the only way to go

Mar 1, 21 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

...is....

Mar 1, 21 10:05 pm  · 
1  · 

In related news a graffiti spree has hit Quebec. Authorities are looking for any information on who is leaving these ungodly marks that appear to be some type of licensing stamp.

Quebec police are offering a bottle of maple syrup and a hockey puck as an award for information that leads to an arrest. 

Mar 2, 21 9:30 am  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Nice try Chad... but I've not entered that province since C19 started... eventhough I can literally see it from my office window. I'll take the bottle of syrup tho. Thanks and sorry.

Mar 2, 21 9:44 am  · 
 · 

^ which is exactly what you'd expect the suspect to use as his alibi.

Mar 2, 21 11:09 am  · 
5  · 

I’d love to tag walls with my stamp, but it’s the pandemic!

Mar 2, 21 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Gonna have to get a bigger stamp!

Mar 2, 21 10:12 pm  · 
1  · 

I feel so inadequate - I have no stamp.

Mar 3, 21 10:00 am  · 
 · 

All the cool kids have stamps.

Mar 3, 21 11:48 am  · 
 · 
tduds

A friend of mine had a "stamping party" when she got hers. Everybody got their hand stamped and signed. Thought it was a great idea. I, like so many of us, have yet to use mine. I like having it though, reminds me that I achieved my childhood dream.

Mar 3, 21 11:50 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

I remember being so excited to use my stamp the first time, on a small project many years ago-- 'til my boss reminded me that it put me squarely at the center of liability. Good times. My other boss had his stamp remade every two years to include his next license expiration date. He used his stamp so much that having to wet sign but also hand-date it a hundred times or so every time a project went to Building & Safety was a royal pain.

Mar 3, 21 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

lol.. I've worn out my home State stamp and have had to replace it twice. In the last week alone I've stamped two projects. Grats on your stamp NS!

Mar 3, 21 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

One day I'll get a stamp from my main jurisdiction but we currently have 3(maybe 4?) active under the office's cert of practice.  Don't need to pay for another but it opens up options when partners (and stamp holders) retire.  

Mar 3, 21 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My toddler stamped the walls, some furniture, and his forehead a few weeks ago. I should have snapped a pic.

Mar 3, 21 6:06 pm  · 
3  · 
mightyaa

Lol… reminds of once one of employees had to bring her son to work. He was a handful and bored, but loved all the stamps.… Someone stamped him with the shop drawing stamp and checked the revise and resubmit and sent him scampering back to his mother… :P

Mar 3, 21 6:57 pm  · 
7  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

If your contractor is going to just fuck it up,.why not just build it yourself.

Mar 3, 21 6:34 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

...and fuck it up.

Mar 3, 21 6:59 pm  · 
1  · 

"forget it jake it's chinatown..."

Mar 3, 21 7:03 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

could have picked a better grout colour.

Mar 3, 21 7:14 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

You expected the mechanical sub to coordinate with the tile sub? What universe?

Mar 3, 21 7:27 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I assume you're looking at the misalignment? When I was a carpenter/foreman I would take extra time to get all of those things perfect, and was regularly told that I was too slow and that nobody cared about those details. Nevermind that my clients were always happy and I almost never had callbacks. Nobody wants to pay for perfection.

Mar 3, 21 7:49 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You know I actually like the grout color, I thought white, with the orange tile was too much, and the white on white too meh. The grout is a take on the paint on the exposed walls and ceiling.

Mar 3, 21 7:54 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

WG. Yeah, it just demonstrates the lack of ownership from the GC to spend the time having a conversation with the framer. Not only that, but the fucking contractor tiled the ceiling that was to be painted. 

Plus, a thing I have to do from now on, in a mechanical design build, I have to locate grills and duct penetration centerlines, and intent, especially on tiled surfaces, when they do occur. Because? These fuckers won't send you any drawings no matter what.

Mar 3, 21 7:58 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Sneaky, I don't, but I don't even think it needs to be that hard, I think the GC could have coordinated with the framers, and based on the tile pattern, made the rough-in correctly. The tile will follow.

Mar 3, 21 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Time is money, friend. Has the GC told the owner that "it's just a kitchen" yet?

Mar 3, 21 8:06 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Beta, I was referring to the top pic. I see 2 ground colours but the same field tile.

Mar 3, 21 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

They're not finished with the grouting. It's all one color.

Mar 3, 21 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Sneaky, this is front of house. Customer facing. I put smooth FRP in the kitchen, not that pebble finish shit.

Mar 3, 21 8:14 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

tiled ceiling? wtf. i can get lazy coordination of electrical vs finish, but that's hard work for a nonsense result.

Mar 3, 21 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'm not a fan of anything that reminds me of my coffee-stained teeth, which would include your choice of grout, but that's my own problem ;-) They weren't even supposed to tile the ceiling? WTF. There's a reason it's traditional to set ceiling tiles on a 45° angle--it helps hide misalignment.

Mar 4, 21 10:50 am  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Hey, man. People need to just make a buck, man.

Mar 4, 21 10:53 am  · 
 · 
square.

preferable to white grout, which usually ends up with a nice hombre of coffee stains. at least this one is a solid wash.

Mar 4, 21 10:55 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Good point. With white tiles, I usually spec pewter-colored grout. I tried white epoxy grout once in the hopes of it staying white, but it turned more yellow than any other white grout I've seen.

Mar 4, 21 11:05 am  · 
2  · 
square.

i was being a bit facetious- but that's actually some good advice..

Mar 4, 21 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I always spec grout that already looks "dirty".

Mar 4, 21 11:28 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I spec hardi-panels with the 'rock-propelled-by-weed-eater' finish.

Mar 4, 21 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I saw a cabinet catalog earlier this week that had a pre-distressed section. Cabinets came with worm holes, worn edges, knife cuts, chiseling, dips, rasping, and my favorite, light chain distressing. All for additional cost.

Mar 4, 21 2:15 pm  · 
3  · 
square.

late capitalism at its finest.

Mar 4, 21 2:55 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

I blame HGTV

Mar 4, 21 3:12 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Pop quiz, hot shot. You find yourself in a world where the built environment comes from either HGTV or Architectural Digest. Make your choice.

Mar 4, 21 4:07 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Oh jeez a real Sophie's Choice right there. 

I gotta go with AD, though. Given only the two, I'll deal with overpriced faux-classical pastiche rather than overpriced aesthetic fetishization of olt-timey poverty.

Mar 4, 21 4:23 pm  · 
2  · 
Wilma Buttfit

3 out of 3 of the last surveys I've gotten were incomplete and incorrect. Gotta just do it myself. All the damn time.

Mar 4, 21 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

WG, I'm curious which brand of white epoxy grout you used. You probably know but epoxies generally yellow with age and with UV exposure, I just figured that grout manufacturers would add UV inhibitors or something to help keep the whites white. Basically I'm wondering if it was a cheap epoxy grout, though I don't know if more expensive white epoxy grouts would be any better.

Edit to add this from Laticrete's epoxy grout FAQ:

Mar 4, 21 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

EA, I don't recall--this was in 2007-8. I did not specify a product, just told the tile company I wanted to try epoxy grout. I was on the construction PM, not really the designer, though I did plenty of design work on that job.

Mar 4, 21 6:00 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

On another topic, because I don't like starting threads. Anyone here skilled in Power BI with Revit? I'm itching to grow my skills in this, and in Dynamo. Tired of the rote, same-o shit.

Mar 3, 21 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

What would one use Power Bl for?

Mar 4, 21 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

So far, from what I can tell, it's a great CM tool, possibly decent for estimating - putting cool charts together - spread sheets, and I know visualizing data, however, what I haven't got answered yet; what is the deliverable, and who is it for? Other than the obvious; me. Like, I can see a design/build firm using the shit out of this, and using it to "sell" to investors, but....???

Mar 4, 21 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

Somewhat related to b3ta’s tile post above, I recently heard that in the US black FRP has no fire certification.

Mar 3, 21 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

Designing strip club toilet rooms are we?

Mar 4, 21 10:07 am  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

If so (on the strip club) it's a good opportunity to do the sign and seal with a *ahem* mushroom stamp.

Mar 4, 21 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Donna, because I know your strip club toilet room design relies on it ... here is a Class A rated FRP from Crane Composites in black. Unfortunately only the embossed finish is Class A. Smooth is still Class C. https://www.cranecomposites.com/wp-content/uploads/7833.pdf

Also saying that black FRP has "no fire certification" doesn't sit well with me. I think I get your intent, but the pedant in me wants to say that most FRP manufacturers have Class C rated black FRP ... just not Class A. Check Chapter 8 of the building code and you may not need Class A anyway.

Mar 4, 21 12:10 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I assume you have to survey existing strip-clubs. Not a bad use of time.

Mar 4, 21 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Yes I need $250 in ones for, uh, "Precedent Research"

Mar 4, 21 12:52 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

I know of one in buffalo that's also a cigar lounge. It's clearly run by some local biker gang and is completely carpeted. We were given a free limo ride home after closing the joint a few years ago.

would make for a good case study.

Mar 4, 21 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

In undergrad we took a trip to Portland and someone said the city has the most strip clubs per capita in the US. I never verified if it was true. tduds, any comment?

Mar 4, 21 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Well this went in a direction I wasn't expecting. Sorry Donna.

Mar 4, 21 2:14 pm  · 
4  · 
tduds

I think it may have been true at one time but might not be anymore. No clue when that time was but the "fun fact" is accepted as a universal truth here, so I'm gonna say it's true. It's usually paired with the also un-verified fun fact that Portland has the most churches per capita too. In any case, Portland has a lot of strip clubs (& also the only city I've been to where I've enjoyed being in a strip club)

Mar 4, 21 2:29 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

I was impressed by the number of microbreweries in Portland (the pearl district?) 12 years ago. Haven't been back since.

Mar 4, 21 5:44 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

And strip clubs in churches?

Mar 4, 21 5:59 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

JLC - don't worry, there are lots more now.

Mar 4, 21 6:17 pm  · 
1  · 

Strip clubs in churches - Only in Amsterdam Rando. :)

Mar 4, 21 6:55 pm  · 
1  · 

Only on Archinect does a discussion about FRP panels turn into someone’s fever dream.

Mar 5, 21 7:51 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

back to the subject, I assumed FRP meant fire-rated... not fibregalss reinforced. I just checked out Panolam's site and they list compliance with E84 and ULCS102... so that should be kosher. At least good enough for your average rip'ers club.

Mar 5, 21 8:07 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i recall the strip clubs in windsor being much better than detroit (different regulations) not that i've been to either in the last 15 years. I would be very afraid of a buffalo strip club!

Mar 5, 21 1:25 pm  · 
2  · 

NS, thanks for reminding me that Panolam does FRP. I use their FRL product from time to time and usually go to others for FRP, but from the look of their website they might have the holy grail of Class A, Smooth texture, black color FRP. I recommend following up with them if you want to use it. They may have figured out something the rest of the industry hasn't, or they may just not list the limitations on their site. Either way, I'd hate for anyone to read this, spec it, and then find themselves in a situation without code compliant FRP.

Mar 5, 21 2:15 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Buffalo Strip Clubs are spicy.

Mar 5, 21 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Speaking of FRP - I've been on a couple reuse projects that employ Fiberglass Reinforced Polymer for concrete strengthening, and also Wall panels for janitors closets, and both times had conversations about "FRP" where two people were talking about two wildly different products without realizing. Acronyms are trouble.

Mar 5, 21 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

You guys are hilarious. I love that this discussion turned immediately to strip clubs (I’m not working on a strip club now, although we did have a gay leather club code review in the office recently). Everyday, I appreciate you being pedantic about this. As we learned in our office discussion after the black FRP question was raised, we don’t need Class A finishes in the space anyway. It really is so important to pay attention to the specifics of every project, not just make a blanket assumption!

Mar 5, 21 8:01 am  · 
5  · 

In other words, even when the project is a strip club toilet remodel, I take my commitment to the Health, Safety, and Welfare of the public seriously.

Mar 5, 21 8:04 am  · 
5  · 

This should be added to the Code of Ethics

Mar 5, 21 9:21 am  · 
3  · 

If not the Code of Ethics, at least in the next marketing campaign AIA does. I can see the CNN commercials now...

"I'm Donna Sink, AIA and I look up. I also take my commitment to the Health, Safety, and Welfare of the public seriously, even when the project is a strip club toilet remodel."

Mar 5, 21 2:16 pm  · 
1  · 

That text over a pic of me looking like FLW.

Mar 5, 21 2:24 pm  · 
8  · 

This pic and that text are meant to be together.

Mar 5, 21 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

yup

Mar 5, 21 3:16 pm  · 
7  · 

Nice, Sneaky.

Mar 5, 21 3:21 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

DS, are you modding your car now? or did you happen upon this one? (iirc, you're a miata fan)

Mar 5, 21 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

This is fantastic, Donna and Pete. A old friend of mine actually designed a major remodel for a gay dance club with a stage for go-go boys. He told me one of the project's most important design features: floor drains in the dressing room. (Apparently all that baby oil is hell to mop up.)

Mar 6, 21 7:02 pm  · 
1  · 

proto, that’s my car. Sadly it no longer has the Firebird logo. Some kid in a truck backed over me so I had to have the front end rebuilt. Husband, who did that Firebird logo, felt it was truly too dorky so he redid it with simple red and black racing stripes.

Mar 7, 21 7:52 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Donna, it makes me sad that you lost your firebird logo! I remember when you had that done and loved the idea. My dream car as a kid was my neighbor's T-top Firebird. I'm trying to recall the significance of the 693?

Mar 8, 21 8:37 am  · 
 · 

Wood Guy, it is sad, but I see my husband's point. As a serious hot rod guy, to him the logo was like fake shutters are to me.

Mar 8, 21 12:29 pm  · 
2  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Architects never falter in their commitment to HSW. I'd join the AIA if Donna was in my chapter!

Mar 11, 21 1:35 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Ain't this a thing, or what?

Mar 6, 21 6:00 pm  · 
7  · 
citizen

That's a great thing.

Mar 6, 21 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Wow, what a cool inventory & mapping

Mar 6, 21 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I can see my house from here!

Mar 7, 21 11:50 am  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

Apparently, cutting onions is meant to make you cry... I can safely say, given that I eat onion every day, I never get watery eyes... I can even hold onions close to my nose and smell them without crying...

Mar 8, 21 9:22 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

same, they have no effect on me.

Mar 8, 21 12:39 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

are you guys sure you're not androids?

Mar 8, 21 2:08 pm  · 
3  · 
Jaetten

Exterminate, exterminate!

Mar 8, 21 2:45 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Doesn’t work with onion rings!

Mar 8, 21 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

daleks are mutants, so maybe

Mar 8, 21 2:55 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Did you androids try it with fresh shallots or red onions too? Used to work in a professional kitchen and cutting kilos of fresh red onions got me every time, good to open up nasal cavities.

I actually put a cut onion next to my kid's bed for the night when their nose is blocked, really works!

Mar 9, 21 3:51 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Just got a phone call from my son's kindergarten class... apparently he decided to put hand-soap in a cup and drink it.  I now have to wait to see what poison control says to the teacher and will likely get a call from the school's director shortly.  I told them it's just soap and that they are far more worried than I am.  more to come, certainly.

Mar 8, 21 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

'more to come, certainly'

Yeah, and in a form more deadly to porcelain than human, I wager.

Mar 8, 21 12:54 pm  · 
1  · 

NS, hope the kiddo is ok

Mar 8, 21 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

From experience, he'll probably puke some if he hasn't already, and tomorrow will have the worst case of the runs you'll (hopefully) ever see.

Mar 8, 21 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks folks, but so far, kiddo is his normal happy self. we'll see how his evening goes.

Mar 8, 21 3:35 pm  · 
5  · 
bowling_ball

My dog's favorite thing to eat is bar soap. Has eaten several full bars before. If I hadn't seen the remnants myself, I wouldn't have known. Iron stomach. I hope your son's okay!

Mar 8, 21 4:26 pm  · 
2  · 
Bench

Was it swearing-related ??

(soap-in-your-mouth joke...)

Mar 8, 21 6:08 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Bench, unlikely given that he has a severe speech disability but if it were, you just know it would be from some high quality French-Canadian swear words. AmIright, KAWlice d’tabarnak?

Mar 8, 21 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Bench, unlikely given that he has a severe speech disability but if it were, you just know it would be from some high quality French-Canadian swear words. AmIright, KAWlice d’tabarnak?

Mar 8, 21 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

'Esti!

Mar 9, 21 7:38 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

the "e" is silent.... S'ti.

Mar 9, 21 8:19 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Tells you which part of the city I group up in...

Mar 9, 21 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Jaetten

I gather they're ok Non? Hopefully nothing major on the following day(s).

Mar 9, 21 11:44 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

^Nothing but regular happy kid to report.

Mar 9, 21 12:23 pm  · 
3  · 
Jaetten

Great news!

Mar 9, 21 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: