Archinect
anchor

African American architecture?

Architecture in Black

Darell Wayne Fields, 2000

I have no idea why this book is listed at $130.00 at amazon.com, but there is a copy at Temple University's Paley Library.

Fields presents a very interesting argument that deals with Hegel's avoidance of ancient Egyptian architecture (ie, African architecture) when he, Hegel, first writes about art history. (I think I'm remembereing correctly; it's over five years since I've read the book.)

Fields taught at Harvard in 2000, and I assume he still does.

Plus there's I want to be an ARCHITECT by Eugene Baker and illustrated by Felix Palm, 1969.

A copy of this book is in Quondam's collection.

Feb 12, 06 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
digger

suggest you contact NOMA

Feb 12, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

Julian Abele was Horace Trumbauer's protégé. Trumbauer had no formal architectural education, but he did pay for Abele's education at the Beaux Arts in Paris, that is, after Abele graduated as the first African-American architecture student from the University of Pennsylvania.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=julian+abele

It wasn't easy.

Feb 12, 06 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
THuh
link

- database of all african american architects in the US.
link - database of african american women architects w/ personal essays
Good luck!

Feb 12, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
THuh

Dennis Mann isn't black however, he's a great source

Feb 12, 06 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
yellowtrace

Ray Huff and Mario Gooden are two black architects practicing in Charleston. www.huffgooden.com I conducted an interview with them about two years ago for a student publication. The interview was about their practice as a whole but a lot of the angle had to do with their particular situation practicing as african american architects. I think I can probably get you a transcript of the interview if it could help.

Feb 12, 06 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Here at Penn we have David Adjaye (although he is from England, and not on campus much) and Shawn Rickenbacker this semester. Both are black. Since you are in the area, you may try to contact them. Check out www.design.upenn.edu to get their email addresses.

Feb 12, 06 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
THuh

wow, Adjaye is in Penn!? ...........

Feb 12, 06 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Affirmative. He's here this semester for the 3rd year students. He's doing a Thursday night lecture in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I don't get to take his studio because he will be gone next year. I really dig his work. I think he only comes in every other week and his assistant comes the other weeks since they are coming from London. So far people seem to like his studio.

Feb 12, 06 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I have a buddy from Jamacia who is an Architect!

Feb 13, 06 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

For recent statistics, the NAAB website
used to have a link to an excel file that showed the racial breakdown (faculty/student) for every accredited school in the country. If it isn't there I may still have the file (I can dig around my hard drive).

I'd look at 20 on 20/20 vision: Perspectives on Diversity and Design. Its based on the Diversity Symposium held at the Build Boston convention back in 2002. Lots of essays and a good starting point for seeking out other people and research.

I would also browse through Melvin Mitchells "Crisis of the
African American architect." I don't agree with everything in the book but he gives a good history of african americans and their entry into the profession of architecture.

Darrel fields isn't at Harvard anymore. Last I heard he was teaching at Northeastern.

I did some research on this topic last year-I will see if I can dig up some sources from that info. Good luck-let us know when that video is finished!

Feb 13, 06 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
digger

you may want to become familiar with: AIA Diversity Committee -- this area of aia.org contains some links that you might find useful ... you may find that the Advisory Group of the committee might provide additional information or connections useful to you.

Feb 13, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
art tech geek

check out a biography of Paul Revere Williams, noted African-American architect when racism ruled. I read something on him once. He was interviewed later on upon becoming quite successful. According to his own experience, in high school when asked by an instructor what he wanted to do as an adult after graduation. He said he wanted to be an architect. The instructor just gave him that 'what the f' look?! are you insane" and then told him basically that blacks didn't do architecture. ...........

well, kuddos to PRW. He did a great job, creating iconic LA while becoming the consummate single focused man with a perservering streak

Feb 13, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
tsquare

wow.. thanks so much guys!

Feb 13, 06 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

snooker who's your friend? I'm Jamaican too!

Feb 14, 06 9:06 pm  · 
 · 

TSquare, any particularly reason it is African-American are you particularly looking at the archtiectural profession in the US? The reason I ask is that there are some other resources that however relate to the uk, minorities, etc.

send me a note if interested, cheers and please share the results

Feb 14, 06 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I really do feel that Architecture or in fact any field in general can benefit with more diversity. I also think its great to point out the lack of diversity. I guess what is interesting to me is the fact that there is no "White-American Architecture" or "Caucasian-American Architecture." I guess sort of like Morgan Freeman's stance about African History Month. He is actually offended that there is one. Basically, his question is: Isn't black history a part of American history and so you can't separate the two? If you take that stance you can also say: Aren't African American architects' work, just American? Does it always have to come with some kind of gimmick?

Feb 15, 06 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
postism

yellowtrace,

i have heard good things about that interview and about the publication. where could i purchase such an item?

Feb 15, 06 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
SoulBrother#1

Philarch, history shows that African Americans haven't been treated or viewed as just "Americans." There is no Caucasian American Architecture because Caucasians are the majority in the U.S. I think it's important that this documentary is done to show A.A's contribution to the field as many African Americans don't know about the field of architecture as a art form or as a career choice for that matter. Hightlighting a part of a culture, just as one would do in any other country is a little more than a "gimmick."

Feb 16, 06 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Because this is a very sensitive issue, I'm going to tread as lightly as possible. Aquaman, you make a good point about African Americans not being viewed or treated as just "American," historically. I also agree very strongly that highlighting a part of a culture isn't a gimmick. I never said it was. I was trying to stay as neutral in my comments. The reason I questioned it being a "gimmick" was the title of "African American Architecture." I guess I'm being very technical, but couldn't it be more acurate and less marginalizing as American Architecture by African American Architects?

Basically, it doesn't take into account that an African American architect may have strong beliefs on other matters and not want to be simply labeled as an African American Architect based on the color of his/her skin. Is it only a privilege of the majority "race/ethnicity" that they can be described more than what they look like?

As America being one of the most non-homogeneous countries in the world, it is facing a lot of new hardships and challenges in dealing with such a varied population. Have you also noticed the meaning of "white" or "caucasian" in America? That definition is not as clear cut as you may think.

If anyone remembers, many veterans of the Vietnam War opposed Maya Lin being the architect of the Vietnam Veteran Memorial. She was born in Ohio from Chinese parents. I'm not trying to make an argument based on an example of a few ignorant people, but this is what happens when you marginalize a minority.

Feb 16, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
comb
Diversity and the Profession
Feb 16, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
SoulBrother#1

Point taken. I just believe that this type of study/documentary is important. This is a subject which should be covered just as one would study architecture from a specific group from any other region of the world.

Feb 16, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
nightrain

There is an article on Phil Freelon in this month's Metropolis you might check out. He is AA and has done some AA projects like the museum in Baltimire.

Feb 17, 06 4:06 am  · 
 · 

of non-historically black schools, columbia graduates more currently-licensed black architects than any other. in the top ten are also UIUC, Pratt, Cornell, MIT, Harvard, Michigan and Berkeley. that's by volume only, though.

http://blackarch.uc.edu/publications/aa_univ.pdf

Feb 17, 06 9:10 am  · 
 · 

this was one of the publications I remembered - hope its not too late

African American Architects; A Biographical Dictionary, 1865-1945
by Dreck Spurlock Wilson (Editor)
Publication Date: January 12, 2004

Feb 21, 06 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

More shocking...the number of registered AA female architects is around 150. Yeah...thats 150 out of 100,000 registered architects in the nation.

Feb 22, 06 1:45 am  · 
 · 
THuh

177 to be exact

Feb 22, 06 7:05 am  · 
 · 
babs

the way i figure it, aa's in general, and aa women in particular, are smart enough to figure out that they'll make a crappy, frustrating living as architects ... so they go do something more rewarding.

looks to me like we're trying to make a 'positive' take on the appearance of a 'negative'

Feb 22, 06 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
tsquare

btw how can i contact Adjaye?
upenn website doesn't provide his e-mail address.
does anyone know any friend who's in his studio?
i don't think writing to his company e-mail ([email protected])
would be a good idea.

Feb 22, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
soco

The publication SOUTH: Volume 1 has several essays that discuss the relationship between African Americans and the built environment, including:

"Chiaroscuro: Crossing the (swarthy) color line into white ethnicity", which outlines some of the commonalities and differences between Italians and African Americans that Italians encountered in the Deep South as they were recruited as replacement labor for the newly emancipated African work forces in plantation based societies.

"Interview with Huff + Gooden", two principals of the Charleston, South Carolina architectural firm.

"The Borough Project", which is an investigation into an historic black neighborhood in Charleston, South Carolina known as "the Borough" which was twice eradicated.

"The Keese Barn Project" discusses the disassembly of an historic African American landmark as a process of building within the political and cultural arena of the erasure of the objects of African American culture.

Feb 23, 06 11:05 am  · 
 · 
job job

"Chiaroscuro: Crossing the (swarthy) color line into white ethnicity"

holy moses, what a title

"trompe l'oeil" Working for the man (for what only seems) night and day

Feb 23, 06 11:08 am  · 
 · 
THuh

Thought this may be a good read. It's an article by an African American architecture student at Yale.

[url=http://www.metropolismag.com/html/sustainable/case/AfricanAmericanArchitecture.html] Does African-American Architecture Exist?
[/url]

Feb 23, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
THuh

oh crap again

umm...

Feb 23, 06 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
tempdrive

takin' it back to the roots.

Feb 25, 06 3:07 am  · 
 · 

try this ink

tempdrive - whilst I believe most investigations should start at the beginning the image shown could easily be an amerindian hut - and bears more towards the intuitive aspect of shelter-building

Mar 6, 06 10:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: