Archinect
anchor

Where to Run

What is a good Place to move to right now? I mean a big city that a lot of small young architecture firms with a lot of potential for new developments. I'd be curious to hear what everyone has to say about their cities and what sort of architecture is going up? Conservative - Green - Corporate Crap - whatever.

Right now I'm narrowing down to Boston, Seattle, or San Fran. But who knows maybe even ....

Feb 8, 06 2:34 pm
whistler

Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
- busy, beautiful, green, safe, liveable.

Feb 8, 06 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Architecturally speaking, Boston and SF are rabidly conservative, although both cities have plenty of good design talent. Of the three cities mentioned, I'd pick Seattle.

Vancouver, BC sounds like a cool place... I don't think I've ever heard a bad thing about that city.

If you're looking for lots of small innovative firms, you probably can't do better than NYC or London. Chicago would be worth considering as well, although things have been pretty conservative here lately.

Feb 8, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

It's funny that you mention Chicago, because that's where I just came from. Been there the last 5 five years at ITT. It always seemed to me that in Chicago, there are only a few small firms that genuinely have fun. The others are just big serious corporate offices that use nice materials and call it a day. I guess I'm also not sure what I want either so I'm just bitching about the place.

Feb 8, 06 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
A

Boston/Seattle/San Francisco....how cliche.

Are you interested in a good place to move? Are you interested in a place that has potential for growth?

Or are you only interested in moving to a city you have pre-decided to be acceptable to your taste.

Feb 8, 06 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Indianapolis: liberty bell, vado retro, and some big car event, I think it's a race of some sort...what more could you want?

Feb 8, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymous

c'mon mike join the parade to New York. lot's of small innovative firms, it's new york, and they're hiring.

Feb 8, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

The further I move away from big cities the better I feel. But hey, knock yourself out.

Feb 8, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

agree with RJ-you should look for a smaller town with lots of talent/prospects/whatever.

I would recommend the SW, but to tell you the truth we don't have enough water for you ;)

Feb 8, 06 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Baltimore.

Feb 8, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Try this site for finding either a good place to live or visit:

Find Your Spot

Feb 8, 06 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i call it a day but lb is working long into the night.

Feb 8, 06 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
jh

i haved tried a few cities, st. louis, san francisco, albuquerque, and boston. can't say i would recommend any of those had small firms with interesting developments. right now i am in between cities living in montana. plenty of young firms, but the work at times is difficult to descibe as intersting. there is a gem here and there, but mainly obsence houses covered in barnwood and cor-ten steel. i am thinking canada might be the next stop. possible calgary. eh.

Feb 9, 06 3:03 am  · 
 · 
A
Feb 9, 06 9:15 am  · 
 · 
brand avenue

You will regret moving to Boston. Trust me.

Lately I've been thinking San Diego, the Twin Cities, Atlanta, would all definitely be doable.

Calgary is booming...

Feb 9, 06 9:44 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I agree about Boston... If you're going to spend $1000+ a month for a shitty apartment, at least do it in NYC.

Feb 9, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 

hey now don't be knocking on boston

Feb 9, 06 11:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: