Archinect
anchor

interesting or innovative ways stop bad habbits

lletdownl

ok, so i have it really bad... i have let my hair grow cause i like it, but now im twiriling it constantly while i work, or read, or anything...
its getting to the point where im actually (brace yourself) unintentionally pulling out chunks of hair that get knotted from the twirling...
im sure many of us have had similar ocd type issues or other nagging ticks that are distracting... any ideas on how to kick this? it would actually for real be appreciated... my only other option is to shave my head

Feb 8, 06 12:45 pm
A Center for Ants?

form follows function. tie your hair back.

Feb 8, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
The Job Captain

my philosophy has always been to cut my hair once a year down to finger length. this way i always get the best of both worlds.

Feb 8, 06 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

replace it with other bad habits such as biting your nails, drinking alone, copius amounts of reefering, or adjusting yourself in public. You'll find that soon you won't be twiriling your hair anymore.

Feb 8, 06 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

Has anyone else noticed an increased use of the word copious when referring to reefering after 'Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' came out?

Feb 8, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

SH - nope. I don't remember that movie too well though.

Well Lent is coming, if you are religious, or even if you're not, you could give up hair pulling for Lent.

I'm not really religious but I once gave up news media for Lent. A very successful experiment.

Feb 8, 06 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

Last year I gave up "giving up things" for lent
About 3 years ago I gave up being a vegetarian for lent. That one stuck though as now I eat many animal species.

The only method I can think of is that to stop a cousin from sucking her thumb we would add large doses of chili to it. Kinda cruel doing this to a 2 year old, but then again I was only 12.

Feb 8, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

What Would BF Skinner Do?

Operant Conditioning. and i don't mean what you do after shampooing.

Feb 8, 06 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

all your bad habits are belong to us

Feb 8, 06 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

how do you add chili to a thumb?

Feb 8, 06 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Actually, hair pulling to the point of removing hair is a common yet serious tick. I had a friend that would shave his head to prevent himself from doing it. He managed to pull those 1/8" suckers out. It was as if his tick mechanism saw it as a challenge. He had a growing bald spot. I never asked him how he stopped, because he was uncomfortable talking about it, but I wouldn't be suprised if he sought professional help.

Feb 8, 06 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
some person

A few years ago for Lent I gave up gossiping/talking badly about people at work. It really helped me to be more positive. It's a good lesson to learn how to "keep it to yourself." I find myself relapsing at times, but I've been pretty good lately...

As for the hair problem - maybe you could try to put a styling product in it to remind you to stop touching it?

Feb 8, 06 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you could try one of these...

Feb 8, 06 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Can you turn that upside to prevent the hands from getting to the head?

Feb 8, 06 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Put on a cap ... or tie a bandana ....or ....oil your hair ( it'll stop you from touching it !!) .. or

Feb 9, 06 1:36 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

or this ..if you arent scared to experiment

Feb 9, 06 1:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: