Archinect
anchor

outdoor fountain/sculpture with water

noguy

Hello, I am looking to find some example of outdoor fountains or sculptures that use water. If anyone could suggest projects that solve the problem of being still visually compelling when the water is shut off in the winter month, thats was I am looking for. Also perhaps someone could suggest a book of modern fountains Thanks in advance.

Feb 6, 06 12:24 am
Nevermore

noguy what does .....that solve the problem of being still visually compelling when the water is shut off in the winter month, thats was I am looking for ...mean ?

what are you looking for , pal ?

Feb 6, 06 9:11 am  · 
 · 
noguy

sorry..my grammer is crap. The thing I notice in all outdoor fountains is that they basically all suck in the winter because in places in the northeast, they have to shut the water off.....so, do people know of any water features that look as good in the winter when the water is shut off...or at least somewhat interesting? thanks

Feb 6, 06 9:15 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Carlos Scarpa

Feb 6, 06 9:22 am  · 
 · 
job job

princess diana memorial
looks great with kids (and adults) banging their heads off slimy kerbstones. the designers didn't think of their design as a public wade pool but that's how they rock it in little britain.

Feb 6, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
noguy

maybe something with more height?

Feb 6, 06 10:57 am  · 
 · 
job job

that would be tivoli, then

next!

Feb 6, 06 11:22 am  · 
 · 
noguy

hmmm... maybe something a bit more....modern.

Feb 6, 06 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

check out paley park, the loveliest little pocket park in nyc

and also -- tanner fountain at harvard by peter walker

Feb 6, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
noguy

both are very nice when the water is running but unless it is detailed to be an ice wall, they need to shut down the water and both are kinda boring... do you agree?

Feb 6, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
job job

i agree that you should now start doing some research, some work.
This is an extension of your icewall post, and the slowest project development of all time, excluding sagrada familia - now THAT guy is lazy

Feb 6, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
noguy

actually this relates to a different project...thanks though

Feb 6, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

tanner fountain is quite successful in winter. uses fog/mist and light, the stones, embedded in the landscape, are effective even without special effects, and take on new character when covered with snow ... it almost seems like a field of warmth within the bitter cold ...

Feb 6, 06 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
noguy

I am almost 100% sure that they shut down the tanner fountain in the winter(well the mist) but it is true that the snow looks beautiful. I guess I am looking something not made of more "natural" materials.

Feb 6, 06 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Shim Sutcliffe, along the same lines as Scarpa but a little more northern job sites.

Feb 6, 06 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

o my god. paley park. thanks heather. it brings back a lot of memories. 1980. we were young architecture students, hangin' out at paley park drinking cheap cognac from the pocket bottles on snow covered tables. that is my favorite urban park in the whole world and i learned so much from that park about landscape architecture and urban design. it is one of those rare spaces that i am so grateful to..
wow.

Feb 6, 06 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
nvaladez

Another one that might be worth looking at is Jean Tinguely. He's a swiss sculpter I believe. There is a museum dedicated to him in Basel, CH. He did the sculpture next to the Pompidou Center.

Feb 6, 06 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Kathryn Gustafson does some fantastic water features with intense hardscapes...

Feb 6, 06 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: