Archinect
anchor

who remembers this show?

geezopeez

According to Wikipedia: "Other themes featured in Dinosaurs include environmentalism, women's rights, sexual harassment, censorship, civil rights, drug abuse, racism, peer pressure, rights of indigenous peoples, and corporate crime. Several of the episodes have liberal themes or morals. The two-part episode "Nuts to War," in which the two-legged dinosaurs go to war with the four-legged dinosaurs over rights to pistachio trees, aired in February and March of 1992, and was almost certainly in response to the Persian Gulf War. Dialogue in the episode addresses war profiteering (by the WeSaySo Corporation of B.P. Richfield, Earl's boss), the casualties of war (limited to one two-legger, which the Sinclair family thought for a time was Robbie), the war's use as a distraction from domestic issues during an election year, government suppression of information, and the harassment of the antiwar movement."

Dude, all I can remember from that show is that dumb baby with the frying pan.

Feb 5, 06 7:30 pm
stephanie

i totally remember it!
TGIF television. i think it was on after full house. or something...

Feb 5, 06 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

not the mama !

Feb 5, 06 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

maybe it's because i was 13 but i never realized there was so much subtext...subversive!

Feb 5, 06 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
TWINE

I LOVED that show. Going back and looking at what I used to watch, my political leanings start to make much, much sense...

i.e. Ren and Stimpy, In Living Color, Dinosaurs, etc.

Feb 5, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i always feel left behind when my (american-raised) collegues start talking about the tv shows they watched, referring to the characters by their first names and discussing all the cool things they used to do.
Television surely played a very important role in your lives!

Feb 5, 06 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh yes, all that subtext was there and very apparent, IF you were old enough. I have a bunch of Dinosaurs DVDs that I plan to watch with my son...when he's old enough.

Feb 5, 06 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
TWINE

ah liberty bell, thank you for investing time in your child and actively trying to make him an upstanding citizen... we need more of this in parents

Feb 5, 06 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
geezopeez

gahhhhhh! not the momma! i remember that! why!!!!!!

Feb 5, 06 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

i remember it too. was there something about the baby being an albino or something?

Feb 5, 06 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The happy plant. Yep, that was a good one.

Feb 6, 06 8:45 am  · 
 · 
A

Surely you aren't saying that a short running and mostly forgotten television show from 14 years ago shaped your political & social ideals. If that's the case, television is shaping our lives far too much.

Feb 6, 06 11:45 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha ha ha was going to type "not the momma" until I read the above. Ha. Bad show. Interesting idea.

Feb 6, 06 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

how 'bout this one

Feb 6, 06 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

TV has been shaping political and social ideas since it was invented. just not always in the form of giant questionably-anthropomorphic prehistoric reptiles.

Feb 6, 06 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Doozers! Why did the Fraggles eat their buildings? What does it all mean?

Feb 6, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
TWINE

A:

if I was 10 years old with VERY lax parenting... I would say yes, that I definitely absorbed someone else's agenda. During those formative years it'd be the parent's, the tv's, the teachers', SOMEone's viewpoints that I'd digest... clearly.

And, as ochona said, TV has been brainwashing since its inception, except most people are 38+ watching FOX News like its the gospel and choosing to let TV, and ONLY television, be their basis of what opinions they decide to have.

Also, with cable/satellite, people can be even blinder to political/social issues... Don't like hearing gunshots, change it the the Food Network and exchange *BOOM* with "BAM!" - 'apolitical' is a political stance, and dangerous.

Feb 6, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

I just hope TV didn't Brain my Damage

Feb 7, 06 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

doo dooo do do do. manamana do doo do do. manamana doo doo do do do do do ....

Feb 7, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

ha ants, i got that one to watch with my oldest. love it still. too funny.

fraggle rock was loverly. i am gonna have to hunt that down for me kids as well, now you have put it back into me hed...

personally i like mary poppins best for political subversion badics for kids... riot in a a bank, men dancing wildly on roof tops, people ignoring conventions all over the place...gotta love it. Oh and winnie the pooh too! have been reading the originals to the kids and laughing me hed off. very subversive mr. milne was.

Feb 8, 06 1:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: