Archinect
anchor

mac 3d design software

sap

I am a graphic designer that has been getting into furniture design. I currently do everything in Illustrator. Is there a program that I can use with illustrator to get 3d renderings of my objects?

Jun 29, 04 3:56 pm
Dan

maya is the most advanced 3d software for the mac. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "to get 3d renderings of my objects", but you could probably import the splines from AI into Maya and start from there.

Jun 29, 04 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
webb

depends on what you mean by using illustrator to get 3d renderings of your objects. you could take the vector information from line drawings in illustrator to help start a 3d model, but you'd have to build alot in whatever modelling program you use. but I don't think there are any plugins that would make an ai file render in 3d.

as far as software goes, I'd strongly recommend formZ version 4 for a mac. rhino is great also, but it's pc only, and you're going to get alot of people telling you to use maya, but using maya to model something you've already designed is a nightmare- I'd strongly urge you not to try it. formZ 4 is a great piece of software, and usually what people learn first in architecture school, but anything is going to be tough to learn, so you might want to think about taking a class (with the amount of time you'd save, it would be completely worth it).

good luck.

Jun 29, 04 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
bryan boyer

I've been importing splines from illustrator into Cinema 4D and it works fairly well. Most 3d apps will import AI or at least dxf (which illustrator can export). I found the learning curve for Cinema 4d to be lower than Maya. Cinema is a very capable 3d app that will serve the needs of most users unless you need to get into dynamics, which Maya is much better for.

I've heard that a lot of furniture people use SolidWorks and Form Z. Personally, I think the learning curve on Form Z is insane but, like Maya, it's really powerful too.

Jun 29, 04 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
db

SketchUp is an easy to use, intuitive 3D drawing program. I highly recomend it.

I think Adobe also makes something called Dimensions that is a 3D rendering program (such as it is) that probably uses most of the tools and interfaces you're already familiar with. I've never used it, but Adobe makes it sound like just what you're looking for.

Jun 29, 04 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
aKa

formz- great software for the user who thinks like a sculptor..adding subtracting etc...
pros: good tech support
easy to use(dont let anyone fool you, i taught it for 2 years and can have you doing really complex things in a day)
accepts ai files
cons: price
texture capability
curve information from ai is still rough
cinema4d: great rendering engine and value for the dollar
pros: decent price
amazing..possibly one of the top 3 rendering engines
handles ai files much better than formz
great texturing
animation
dunamics are great(not sure what version brayn is using)
cons: steeper learning curve than most(but really not bad)
tool navigation tough at first

maya: hollywood cant be all bad...most cgpros in film use this one, if they arent using 3d max
pros: great rendering
superior dynamics
great ability to customize
cons: price price price (if you want the full deal, you never fully own it and still pay alot)
maya only likes maya..meaning you have to go through alot of hoops to export/import other files...and guess what it doesnt even render out to standard image files
3dmax: been around along long time competes with maya well for less coin
havent used this one since the days of yor..i can tell you this the kids at kdlab pump with this one..so it cant be bad

Jun 29, 04 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
aKa

oh i forgot to mention sketchup...no i didnt its not worth mentioning, its like new years or st. patricks day for hard drinkers...amateur night!

Jun 29, 04 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
sap

thanks everyone, this really helps.

scott(sap)

www.paulidesign.com

Jun 29, 04 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
delicrafts

FormZ may fit your need. It's pretty hard to manipulate smooth lines/models on it, but you can do on it. It can virtually make everything in 3d. And this can import splines from illustrator almost perfectly.

Cinama4D is also good one, but you need more time to learn. Its import capability is pretty good.

I think SketchUp is not for you. It is certainly a great tool but only for models with straight-lines. Working with smooth lines on it, it's the hell.

Jun 29, 04 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
mbr

Sketchup won't let you do much with curves.

I like FormZ, but I think there are better ones for curved forms (assuming your designs are complex curves).

I'd look at Rhino, although I haven't used it, I have seen furniture made with it. Problem is the rendering capabilities (it does export, though).

I also like Max, which you can make anything. Maya and Cineam are good, too. Cinema will give you the most bang for your buck, and you can't use Max with a Mac. Also look at Lightwave.

Jun 29, 04 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
spak

aka you forgot lightwave -

the most POPULAR 3d software packages for animation/rendering are in order;

3D studio
Maya
Lightwave
Cinema 4D

however for product design you should buy FormZ - value for money this sounds like the best solution for you. It can basically export/import anything you could possibly throw at it - it is the cheapest and most full featured 3D CAD application available. Although it is not as powerful as Maya or as easy to use as Lightwave or Cinema, it is basically geared towards the industrial designer whereas most other 3D software has been developed for animation production.

Jun 30, 04 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
Gabriel

that's a really great list but the question was a bit more focused.. he's looking for MAC based software.. i'm interested in the same question. I'm in an archicad office so we're perty screwed when it comes to 3D but i guess i don't sign the paychecks.. i really dig sketchup for presentation stuff but it seems to be perty useless when it comes to moving from model to production.. what are the other MAC options out there?

Jun 30, 04 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
JG

another low cost option besides From Z would be a program called Cobalt made by Ashlar-Vellum. It's not good for animations but great for making precise "water-tight" models used for CAM.

Jun 30, 04 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
spak

sap i should also mention -

i have a background in graphic design and actually got into architecture after studying 3D animation as an elective at university. I learned Lightwave 3D and still use it as a great visulaization and rendering tool (alonside Microstation). I have learned and worked with AutoCAD and ArchiCAD and also dabbled with most 3D software out there.

- if you think 3D viz is something that you could get into I wouold highly recommend Lightwave 3D - it is the best value for money animation app out there - it is cross platform mac and pc - it has a very good renderer as well. the problem with lightwave is that it can not be used for drafting (inaccurate), i use a 3D/2D CAD tool and then export to Lightwave to render and animate. if you are only interested in the graphic designing or the more artistic side of things then I would choose Lightwave - have a look at the Lightwave site user gallery to see what is possible. If however, you are interested in being able to model up plans and 3D objects for specification then lightwave is pretty much useless. - and i would go for formz. - formZ is also cross platform - this means that you will have less worries finding employers willing to support your skills once you have them. form Z has a woeful renderer. but seemlessly intergrates with CAD packages whereas lightwave is a purly visualiztion tool.

Jun 30, 04 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
mbr

Every firm I know of (well, know personally, anyway) have FormZ. It's the safest bet for the architecture world, especially when you are limited to a mac.

The programs that are similar:

Max
Maya
Lightwave
Cinema 4D XL

FormZ is pretty much by itself, especially if you look at it's interface. Great if all you use is FormZ, but harder to go to the others (and vice versa).
They have a REALLY great online help forum, too, which goes a long way.

Jun 30, 04 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
mbr

Oh, version 4.5 of FormZ will finally have GI, so the complaints about the rendering may be over soon. That said, it still won't be as good/fast as Final Render/Vray/Brazil (according to their tech guy I spoke to).

Jun 30, 04 8:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: