Archinect
anchor

Does this position exist? - Modeler/illustrator w/o formal education in the field

NaveenM

Hi all. Please excuse my ignorance. I'm not involved at all in the world of professional architecture.

I have a background in design and graphics. Primarily my focus has been on graphics for television, but I've also worked in both web and print as a designer in both 2D and 3D. I also have a passion for architecture, though up to this point it has been completely amateur.

What I'm wondering is if architectural firms hire designers for either 3D or 2D design work who do not have a background in architecture or interior design.

Please note, I am not talking about a position in one actually conceives of work - I realize that is the province of actual architects and interior designers. I mean someone who works with the architects and designers to create 3D models or 2D illustrations of the firm's work.

My first impulse is "Of course, the architects aren't making those 3D models themselves"...but perhaps I'm wrong and they're all being done by junior architects or other people with a formal education in the field.

And, if there is a place for a 2D/3D illustrator/modeler who does not have a degree in architecture or a related field, what professional qualifications should one bring if looking to enter the field (such as knowledge of specific software)?

Thanks much for your time!

Naveen

Dec 27, 11 3:05 pm
zonker

When I was at SOM, we had 2 or three people who did renderings that did not have architecture degrees -

"My first impulse is "Of course, the architects aren't making those 3D models themselves"...but perhaps I'm wrong and they're all being done by junior architects or other people with a formal education in the field."

actually, the 3D models are made by the architects(junior - I had 0 experience when I was hired) using Revit, Rhino, max or DIgital project. I would take my Revit files, and export to dwg or .fbx, The 3D modeler/renderers would take over from there, and work on it in Max or Vray. The Graphic design dept. would use those renderings to create the presentation graphics - If you are interested, check out SOM careers website or Gensler 

Dec 28, 11 12:05 am  · 
 · 
trace™

What SUVERK says.  We build most of the 3D for our renderings (designs by others), but are getting an increasing amount of models handed off, usually SketchUp or Revit, some Rhino.

There is a place for pure 3D modeling/rendering skills.  You'll find a combination of architects and artists at 3D companies.

Quality and artistic detail speaks more than any degree.  I've seen some people with 10 years of experience in architecture make horrible renderings and someone with a year make something amazing.  All comes down to having an "eye" and becoming proficient with the software.

My advice:  go study some of the best out there.  Sites like www.gnomonworkshop.com and www.cgarchitect.com are invaluable resources.  Buy books about lighting, composition, materiality, etc. (tons of free stuff on the web).

Practice, practice, practice.  When I look at someone, I can tell in a nanosecond if I would hire them.  It is all about the artistic edge (I've seen some renderings that were 95% photoshop that blew me away, a billion using the latest/greatest that sucked).

Think of it like a digital camera.  Everyone has one, but still only a relative few can create great photographs (regardless of education, experience, etc.).

Dec 28, 11 8:06 am  · 
 · 
NaveenM

@SUVERK and @trace - Thanks much! Very useful information, both about the job options as well as the resources. I have a lot to do before I can apply anywhere, but now I have a much better understanding of where to start.

Thanks again!

Dec 28, 11 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: