Archinect
anchor

rapidly renewable

batiment

I'm doing a little research to see how feasible it would be for us to get the LEED point for using rapidly renewable materials. It would require 2.5% of the entire cost to go towards these materials. It seems like the selection is somewhat limited and often costly. Has anyone gotten this LEED point before? Which materials did you use? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Jan 27, 06 4:09 pm
skeptic

I believe that if you specify all wood to be from an FSC certified manufacturer that you would be good

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Or Bamboo...

Jan 27, 06 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
samsonoio

Sorry skeptic, but you're wrong. That's for MRcr7

We haven't been able to achieve this credit for our projects. We have used wheatboard in our cabinets, wool carpets, linen wall coverings ina past project. We investigated bamboo floors, linoleum floors, wool insulation, and strawboard panels.

Jan 27, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Or strawbale... but most likely you will have to use products that have fractional rapidly renewable content to get over the threshold.

Jan 27, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
batiment

i forgot to mention that the building is 10 stories; which means two things: 1) construction costs are higher, requiring more $ spent on rapidly renewable materials 2)getting the points from wood framing isnt possible,

i'm thinking that its probably not likely. gonna go for the recycled content point though.

Jan 27, 06 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
samsonoio

Definitely go for the recycled content points. If you're doing LEED NC v2.2, watch the new higher requirements. You can get a lot of help from concrete and steel in this area. Just make sure you add slag or fly ash into your mix design. Also, try to get a high recycled steel (some have 100% recycled content . . . though the post-consumer v. post-industrial content varies.)

Jan 28, 06 12:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: