Archinect
anchor

architects secret confessions

Heather Ring

warning: these are dark ...

And lastly,

"618639087 In my 1st year of uni doing an architecture degree, my friend and I found a locked drawer in our form room. Later that evening when the room was empty we broke into the drawer and found a 3rd year student's A1 portfolio with projects. We proceeded to destroy all of the work in the portfolio by stuffing it into a hollow display shelf thing in our room. We divided the A1 plastic sleeves from the portfolio between ourselves for our own portfolios. (A1 sleeves are fucking expensive, hence our motivation for doing this). We couldn't return the portfolio back into the drawer empty so I cut it into pieces (I managed to fit the portfolio into a shopping bag). I fixed the drawer, we left uni and I threw the bag in a recycling bin outside the building.

A couple of days later, a whole load of notices went up around the architecture block reporting a missing portfolio. It was the guy's final year projects and his overall mark and his degree depended on them. I have no idea what happened to him."

Jan 27, 06 1:48 am
A Center for Ants?

wow. that's a trip. and evil.

Jan 27, 06 1:57 am  · 
 · 
grid

WOW is right.

Jan 27, 06 2:13 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Baaaad Karma dude.....

take care ,what goes around...comesss around !

Jan 27, 06 2:38 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

omg! i feel him.

Jan 27, 06 2:55 am  · 
 · 

check out postsecret

Jan 27, 06 8:55 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Are these all architecture-related? I'm afraid to read any of them ebcause I definitely don't need any darkness to bring me daon on this glorious almost-spring Friday. So if they aren't ALL architecture-related, I'm not going to read them. Can someone braver than I fill me in?

Jan 27, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

it's worth remembering that it can be a pretty dark world sometimes.

from another perspective, he's lucky that it's only his portfolio that got chopped into pieces and stuffed in a bag...in some other lines of work it could have just as easily been him chopped up and disposed

Jan 27, 06 9:41 am  · 
 · 

back in the day people in studio used to "punk" other kids by spending hours (deadline? what deadline?) making mock-up's of other people's work to then light it on fire or crush it under a rusty pipe just as the unwitting victim walked into studio. sometimes the palor and the look of utter disbelief was pathetic and hilarious at the same time, if you knew it was a prank. the worst part about it was that often the victims became pranksters themselves. one person who had been punk'd even volunteered to go running into the computer lab to pull yet another victim with desperate calls of "your final model is on fire!"

Jan 27, 06 10:45 am  · 
 · 
4arch

If that story is true then it's really pretty disgusting.

On the other hand, it sounds like from the tone of the story the people who did this were not closely acquainted with the victim. Assuming that was the case, you'd have to be pretty stupid to leave your only copies of drawings in a studio accessible by people you didn't know, even they were locked in a drawer.

The thing that really makes me doubt this story is that the author claims to never have found out what happened to the guy. I've never heard of an architecture school that wasn't a huge rumor mill. Surely if the victim had been completely screwed over word would have spread like wildfire.

Jan 27, 06 11:49 am  · 
 · 
garpike

That last story sucks. It really sucks. I hope karma stepped in.

As for the second story. I love it. Makes me think.

Jan 27, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
sunburntkamel

wow.

liberty bell, all the linked ones are architecture related, but the whole site isn't.

Jan 27, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well thank goodness none of the rest of them are as bad as that portfolio destruction one. That story leaves a bad taste in my mouth that no amount of chocolate chip cookie can eradicate.

I actually love that postsecret site - I could waste hours there if I wasn't here.

Jan 27, 06 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

Sorry, LB ...

I was kind of conflicted as to whether I should re-post it. Kind like when I found juicy pages ripped from a teen diary in the street on the upper east side and felt compelled to submit it to found magazine ...

It DOES sound like a murder story. With the dismemberment and disposal of the portfolio. I bet the guy is no longer friends with his accomplice.

Jan 27, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

No problem Heather. I enjoyed the other ones. And I'm enjoying the collective anger we all feel towards tearing up someone's portfoluio.

garpike, are you using a wheelchair to ambulate? Perhaps a warehouse job would be good, you could pick up the boxes for upper arm stength, place them in your lap, then wheel them around to where they need to go. I'm sure you'd be hired to do this!

Jan 27, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i only got one thing to confess. and i aint talkin...

Jan 28, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

the last one sucks dude .... no greatness in that i'm afraid !!

Jan 29, 06 8:00 am  · 
 · 
archie

My last year at Cornell, someone stole all of the drawings of a complete semesters worth of work out of my drawer in studio. These were in the days when we drew by hand, and you couldn't make copies. The nearest blue print place was like 5 miles away. The drawings were hand inked on vellum, then colored in color pencil. I still remember it as the best project I ever did, but no record of it. Probably wasn't all that great except in my head, but how mean can you get? I keep thinking someone used my work in their portfolio....

Jan 29, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

is it just me or is that george w. in vado's picture with the priest?

Jan 29, 06 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

I get the impression after reading several posts how common it is to find work of others being stolen or sabatoged. Should I be extremely cautious of where I store my work? It would suck going to bed every night and worrying about the possibility of someone going through your studio. maybe a safe would be a good investment though it does sound rather ridiculous.

Jan 29, 06 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

when i was in school my computer was stolen along with all the backup zip disks for the work. lost a lot of stuff. a really crappy end to a semester full of dissapointments.

point of that: backup your work, but don't keep it near your computer, because you never know what someone will think is valuable.

Jan 29, 06 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

if your stuff gets stolen, you'll just have to think like a thief ...

Jan 29, 06 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I had some work taken from my desk drawer once - though not something especially important. I also had two incidents in which people stole parts from my models - presumably to use them in their own - but in both cases my models had already been reviewed so it wasn't tragic.
Once my files that were stored on the department's server were copied by another student, who used some of the work when she transferred to another school.
But the culprit responsible for the most disturbing losses was the school itself. They would routinely collect the best projects in each course to photograph and archive, and they lost and destroyed pieces all the time - both my own and others' work.
So yes, you should always be careful where you store things, you should always back everything up and keep the copies in a remote location - and whenever possible you should photograph your models before you hand them over to the school or leave them unattended in your studio.

Jan 29, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
rebelliousz_poet

dark stories... continued... he was a short little guy... and he was my professor... actually long story... to cut it short: he broke my final model INTENTIONALLY and then hid it below the rest of my sketch models... he now works at Syracuse University... he likes to hit on his female students and he rips off alot his work from architects like terragni, corb, and rem... his initials are rr for those of you who are still in school and at syracuse... he is the cockiest little man i know...

Jan 29, 06 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
rebelliousz_poet

dark story number two... day of my final review some drunken students decide to throw my installation down the gorge... so when we all went to the site to see the show we were all participating in... well lets just say i left right away and bought some vodka to spend the night with my non arch friends...

Jan 29, 06 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
Pimpanzee

Whoever posted confession #618639087 will die a slow and painful death..that's the way these things work themselves out - at least I hope so.
A long and unrewarding life in architecture is part of that slow death.

Jan 29, 06 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

dont be so vain. nobody wants your ideas. they may want your ipod though.

Jan 29, 06 10:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: