Archinect
anchor

Starting internship in a month. Any general tips or advice?

kubo

Next month I will be moving to Beijing where I will be doing an internship for a local Chinese firm. It will be my first experience in an architecture firm so I was wondering if anyone had any advice for those who are starting out. One tip I received from someone was to always have your personal notebook at hand to write down what you need to do, jot down any little nuggets of knowledge you receive, or just to sketch out quick idea. I guess I should also practice my Revit a bit.

What would be your advice?

Dec 26, 11 11:13 pm

Study Mandarin.

Dec 27, 11 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

"I guess I should also practice my Revit a bit." a bit will get your fired - Know it thoroughly - not just the basics, create your keyboard shortcut file, and e-mail it to yourself. the last thing you want, is to have one of your leads to be saying " you should know that, you should know that - also listen very closely to what you are told - some architects, will tell you 2 or 3  things at once, changing their mind as they go - it is your responsibility to stay on top of the conversation and get their intent - if you do something that is different than what is expected, you will get "gigged" for it, 1,2 3 strikes and your'e out of there - game over. Listen to what is being said and turn off your internal dialog box - all it takes is to miss or forget what is being said, and they will think you are a dummy. - so pay attention.

Dec 27, 11 11:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: