Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Printing

ky11

Im in the process of printing my portfolio and I realized my printer basically sucks. Im going to have to either purchase a new one or print at Staples or Kinkos. If I were to buy one, whats the best I can get for around $100 (I want to print 8.5x11 borderless and this will probably be the only time I'll need to print something like this.) If I go to Staples/Kinkos, how much would it cost per page? What format should my pages be (They are mostly photoshop files right now)?

Jan 26, 06 10:15 pm
Living in Gin

I have an Epson Stylus R200 that does borderless 8.5"x11" printing, and I've been very happy with it. It was a more than $100, but less than $200.

Jan 26, 06 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
e4nim

If you would like to buy a new one, I recommend you EPSON PHOTO. You dont have to buy expensive model. In my case EPSON PHOTO R230 was great. It is a brand new one and it just cost about $120 USD in my hometown. You can print without margin and can make double side material by only checking print options. However one great weakpoint of this printer, EPSON is that it will cost you a lot of money to maintain mainly ink catridges. For those weakness, you can use some continous ink systems.

If you consider kinkos to print your material, I would like to detain. I am not sure where you live, in my case, kinkos in my area only have laser printers. As you know, laser printer will show you lower quailty than ink jet printer.

hope this post help you.. ^^

Jan 26, 06 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
lmai

Believe it or not, I had my portfolio prints done at costco; the result is quite amazing as far as quality in material and prints for something as big an 8 x 10 which costed me $1.49/print. It's definitely worth the deal in my opinion. The only problem with costco however, they don't have print size for 8.5 x 11; I had to readjust my .tiff files. That's just to let you know in case you consider getting prints done there.

Jan 27, 06 3:13 am  · 
 · 
lmai

and i always use .tiff format whenever I save files in photoshop, etc. to assure the best quality possible when printing; it will take up a lot of space versus a jpeg file.

Jan 27, 06 3:22 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

do something diff honey.

Jan 27, 06 4:32 am  · 
 · 

i purchased an epson stylus r220 and its been great to print my portfolio on. i did 8.5x11 full bleed prints and it was wonderful, fast, and crisp photo prints. and i beleive it was about $100. it comes with ink, but if you're doing "best photo quality" prints, you run down the ink pretty fast. i had a 10 pg double sided (so 20 sides) portfolio and i printed in total maybe 12 copies, and i must have gone through 3 sets of ink, which at best buy was like $90. but i got ink at costco for $40. so you can find ways to do it cheaper. but having it printed somewhere might be cheaper in the long run considering that the price of ink is expensive and gets used up pretty fast.

Jan 27, 06 8:52 am  · 
 · 
grid

What type of paper do people use for home portoflio printing?

Jan 29, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

search through the threads I (and many others) have posted this at least 3 times now....

Buy a good printer it is worth it.

Jan 29, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: