Archinect
anchor

Chicago 2 NYC

Anonymous

Yet another post about what direction to take next. However, I do have specific questions not open-ended thinking outloud. Here's the situation:

I've gotten offers to move to NYC from Chicago. I am going to move. However, the issue that vexes me is in regards to what type of office to work for. My current options are three. One large well known firm with offices around the world, great pay and benefits. One mid sized boutique firm good pay and benefits. And one small firm where the pay and benefits wouldn't be the same as the large firm. I find myself torn as there is an inversely proportional relationship between the artistic and monetary benefits offered. As the running joke in the office "what would brad pitt do?" offers no help I'm asking fellow archinecters for their two cents especially those in NYC. And yes already posted in the Dear Abra thread in case you were wondering.

Jan 26, 06 12:12 pm
JohnProlly

How much experience do you have?

A lot of people are hiring right now. Especially in the Chelsea and Tribeca Areas.

Jan 26, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
guason

go with the large firm.....you'll need the money !!!! you're moving to NYC !!!!!!

......and by the way.....good luck finding a place to live !!!!

Jan 26, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

guason...
you don't know what you're talking about.
most overhyped excuse to move here ever..but i'm glad it exists
cause it makes it a good city to live in...lots of people live here...
true...lots of not so desirable apartments...true. difficult to find
a place to live...no. ridiculously expensive place to live...not
necessarily...

and typically compensation in new york is better than elsewhere
so you'll be ok...and right now there's a hella lot of work out there..
right now i'm workin and doin stuff on the side...

Jan 26, 06 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymous

I got three years experience physical modelling, digital (rhino), cad,etc. I've been wanting to move and took a shot sending my C.V. out just to see what was out there and I liked what I saw. One of the places I went to was in Chelsea actually and it did seem like alot of hiring was going on.

guason: i agree about the money issue if I'm moving to NYC but the figures in the smaller firms may work out with what I was seeing in Brooklyn as far as finding a place to live.

Jan 26, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

First off:

Ignore all morons who think you wont be able to find a place to live... Brooklyn would love to have you.

Second of all:

You can live off just about any salary. It's just about budgeting.

Jan 26, 06 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

What was the office in Chelsea?

Jan 26, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

If the firm in Chelsea has the initials K+H, run like hell.

Jan 26, 06 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymous

I just sent you the name, it's a couple blocks from you it seems. It's funny cuz when I first visited New York a couple years back that's the first area I remember hanging out in and exploring and when I went interviewing recently it was where my first interview was.

Jan 26, 06 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well what would brad pitt do???

sans iliac furrows sorry lb :(

Jan 26, 06 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

My first job was in Dumbo - then freelanced for 3 months doing 3d work [made some deep loot doing that] now I work in Chelsea

Jan 27, 06 11:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: