Archinect
anchor

Graduate School - Where Do I Stand? (w/ Portfolio)

junnymonkey7

Hey guys, been really worried about getting into grad school, trying to get into the M.Arch program at U of I, and reaching for PennDesign. I pretty much messed up my grade because I did not plan on attending grad school til just a year ago, but now its the only thing that's on my mind. So here we go :)

University of Illinois - B.A. Architectural Studies

GPA - 3.14

GRE - 720 V   720 Q    4.0 W

3 Letters of Recommendation, all Studio Professors.

Nominated and won school's architecture award last year, nominated again this year.

Sample Portfolio: http://issuu.com/junny49/docs/juns_port_

I'm currently planing on applying to UPenn, USC, UMich, and U of I, but not sure where I stand, please help!

Dec 26, 11 4:58 am
junnymonkey7

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Deadlines is coming up soon and I would really like to fix up my portfolio before submitting.

Dec 26, 11 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
BrianYamagata

First off, your works looks great. I appreciate the style and sensibility you have already discovered that helps to define your work. 

As a M.Arch recipient from UMich's Taubman College, I will suggest that you include some work that shows or highlights more flexibility in your crafts. Charcoal drawings? Hand-crafted furniture? Anything that you have done in previous art courses or at your leisure is looked highly upon, as it shows you're capable of more than just making cool looking buildings.

I was on the admissions committee at TCAUP, and something I remember most is when Tom Buresh, the former Chair, said to me,"If they include a drawing of drapery...accept them." That's not to say you MUST have drawn drapery before, but it goes to show that (a)rchitecture isn't ONLY about buildings.

Also, unless you're going for a PhD, I wouldn't worry too much about your GPA, it's perfectly fine as it is. But if you are aiming for a PhD after your M.Arch, then keep it above 3.6 during your Masters!

Dec 26, 11 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
junnymonkey7

Thank you Brian, that is very helpful. I'm still working on the sketching/drawing page, as well as my front and back cover, I definitely will work on a couple more drawings that's not directly involving architecture. 

I'm still debating whether or not to apply to USC and UMich, seems like very tough programs to get into.

Appreciate your comment!

Dec 26, 11 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

dont know what the universities you are applying to are looking for but in general recommend some process in the content.  your designs are rendered nicely and presentation is good, but can't see why the designs took on the shapes they did.  if you can show some of the thinking behind your work it might make it easier for judges to understand what you will do at grad school and what motivates and interests you.

apparently dwgs of drapery are also a bonus.  too funny.

Dec 26, 11 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Very nice portfolio!

Dec 27, 11 10:17 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Yes, process.  If one impression stuck in my mind it would be "complete".  Too complete.  Many of buildings look like they are ready to be marketed for sale or tenants, not conceptual design exercises. 

There needs to be a clear methodology to your design process.  What is your first steps?  Sketches?  Notes?  Then onto sketch models, then onto experiments, etc., etc.  At the very, very, very end a polished rendering is nice to 'test' or 'prove' the concept.

I'd add in a TON of process work, things like doodle sketches scanned out of a note book (it is fine if you make them now, as long as they are there and show your thinking), go back and get those test 3D images, show some process in the 3D.  Models, too, would be helpful (vs. all 3D).

Note that this does not have to result in a final building.  Don't you have images of design studies (that were just diagrams and spatial studies?)?

I think you could take at least one project out and replace with looser work.  If I were reviewing your portfolio, I would think "what are we going to teach him?"  or, rather, "what is he going to learn here?".  Show a process, demonstrate that you are more about the steps and thinking, not just the final renderings.

Good luck!

[ok, looked again, I guess you have more sketches than I originally thought.  I think the problem is the renderings look so finalized, so "market" ready, that you miss any of the process]

Dec 27, 11 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
junnymonkey7

Thank you Will, Med, and Trace, very helpful comments! I will make room for more sketches and concept diagrams.

I guess one thing at UofI is Professors like to see very complete, finished projects, so that has always been the way I present. Would that hurt me if I just left the renderings like that?

Dec 27, 11 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I don't think you have to go too overboard with diagrams and sketches when you put some in but a few will help.

You will get into a lot of solid programs with what you have as it shows great graphic sensibility, outstanding design, and good solid proficiency with all the software.

My only advise is don't go to a school that will put you in any crazy debt.  Trust me it aint fun.

Dec 28, 11 11:39 am  · 
 · 
junnymonkey7

Thank you med, appreciate it. I'm actually crossing out USC cause of their high tuition, although it is one of my ideal schools :(

Dec 28, 11 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
kadam-patil

hello brian yamagata how do the prof compare student having no architecture degree and student with ba in architecture studies etc

Jul 23, 13 2:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: