Archinect
anchor

wtf - spider? insect? alien?

i'm browsing flickr this afternoon and come across this image. holy crap it looks mean.

i will now have nightmares for weeks.

Jan 24, 06 3:48 pm
strlt_typ

they ate those in fear factor (las vegas)

Jan 24, 06 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i think i just crawled out of my skin. no fucking way would i eat one of those things. what the hell is it?

Jan 24, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well it appears to be a bug, right, since I think I count six legs and two really long antennae? Plus those pincer things.

Maybe it's a really skinny scorpion? Thise things creep me out. And I work in a basement...suddenly my skin feels a little itchy...and my hair...eeks!

PS ether the C. studio is full of centipedes - keep that in mind if you ever decide to build a clay/CMU structure then take it down - they'll appear constantly through demolition!

Jan 24, 06 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Have any of you seen the camel spiders?

Jan 24, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

oh my god. I mean I won't kill a spider but I sure as hell hope I never meet one of those disgusting beasts, Online. Yikes.

Jan 24, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

That's a spider, ether. It's got its front legs up in a defensive/threatening posture.

Jan 24, 06 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Online, those camel spiders were part of a email/web hoax.

Read about it here.

Jan 24, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

News to me, thanks.

Jan 24, 06 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

driftwood, I am going to have to agree with ether. It looks as though those two defensive limbs up front don't really count as legs.

Although it does remind me of a vinegaroon - a scorpion-like arachnid with two defensive limbs up front not considered legs. The vinegaroon is actually an arachnid not because the defensive limbs count towards the eight legs, but because the "antennae" are actually modified legs.

Jan 24, 06 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
ether

why i started this thread i do not know. morbid curiosity perhaps.

the pictures (of whatever it may be) are just plain scary and make my skin crawl just looking at them. the titles are "Mexican Wedding" so i'll assume they were taken in Mexico.

Jan 24, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

botflies
botfly wikipedia
botfly pics

Jan 24, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

WTF?

Jan 24, 06 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

I prefer mukade...(Japanese for centipede). Getting bit by one of these usually results in a trip to the hospital. I've had 8 in my house (5 in my bedroom) since I've been living here.

This isn't a picture of one of those, but the previous page has a picture of three that I encountered...and killed whilst screaming like a little girl.

http://thejinx.org/archive/entries/050609_mukade_4.htm

Jan 24, 06 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

botflies

Jan 24, 06 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ok. That botfly in the eye image made my stitches tingle.

Jan 24, 06 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

garpike-

Yeah. Arachnid. I looked again and saw a 'plan' view. The defensive 'arms' look more like mouth parts *shudder* and the antennea do look as if they look like modified legs [their location certainly supports that].

Jan 24, 06 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ugh. So gross that thing.

Jan 24, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

chekov got one of those in the ear...

Jan 24, 06 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

When we were doing a plastering workshop in Japan, I saw this big ass centipede type thing. So I plastered it into a crack so it couldn't get out. It was like 5 inches long. I bet it got out later.

Jan 24, 06 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Khan Noonian Singh! That bastard!

Jan 24, 06 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

that wtf Japanese mukade.. steamed..?

Jan 24, 06 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Mukade!

Jan 24, 06 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

The Gloworm, a nocturnal arthropod, attacks children often in bed. Along with mesmerizing glow and cuteness, the worm stares its prey into submission upon which it robs the child of breath and slowly devours the victom whole.

Jan 24, 06 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

i can't remember, were all gloworms stoned?

Jan 24, 06 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Yeah, basically.

Jan 25, 06 12:27 am  · 
 · 
job job

i agree the mukade looks tasty steamed and served with butter.

can it be lasercut?

Jan 25, 06 6:09 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

It's a scorpion, hence it is an aracnid - 8 legs...

Jan 25, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra
and now there is this

"lives in acid".. whoa down boy.

Jan 25, 06 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

<embed id="hPlayer" stretchtofit="1" displaysize="1" autosize="1" height="351" autostart="1" pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/" type="application/x-mplayer2" showcontrols="1" volume="-10" src="http://216.227.212.230/videos/050917-camel-spider-video.wmv" width="468"></embed>

Jan 25, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood
Brutal!
Jan 26, 06 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
garpike
Candiru

Read "food".

Jan 26, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i think it might be a good thing i can't view that .wmv, driftwood.

garpike, i'll be sure not to skinny dip in the amazon anytime soon.

Jan 27, 06 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ok, that candiru just made me cringe... thanks garpike! =P

Jan 27, 06 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

ether, apparently you're OK as long as you're not peeing in the river while you swim - which is good etiquette anyway.

Ick. Ickickickickick.

Jan 27, 06 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ick-thyology

Jan 27, 06 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LOL garpike.

Jan 27, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i will never, ever swim in the amazon. i'd find it hard not to pee myself out of fear of having one of those monsters crawl into my dong.

Jan 27, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: