Archinect
anchor

Were to work abroad...MoneyWise $$$

Gotan

Hello!

( intro: THis is like my gap year. I quitted the job, let go the flat.
I am currently backpacking in thailand. Portfolio ready after theses few weeks of gettaway and I am looking for a place to settle down to practice the arts of architecture. Where ?

I would like to go get a better salary than back home and surf a construction boom somewhere....

I have about 4 yrs of experience in project design...

Ideas:
Dubai?
Shanghai?
Vancouver?
Switzerland?

or
Singapour?

Thanks!

JS

Jan 23, 06 7:11 am
sporadic supernova

Come to dubai .... dont forget the complimentry barf bag !!!

damn ... i'm trying to get out of this hell hole !!!

Jan 23, 06 8:08 am  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

Why are you barfing?

Jan 23, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

most places you got supply your own bag...

Jan 23, 06 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

thanks guys for talking shit,

Please could you just talk seriously.

I have been to Dubai...Amazing things are happening there even though if it has a root-of-evil-we-all-won-the-lottery- kind of way.

But for architects it is consedirably an amazing moment going on there.

Jan 24, 06 2:14 am  · 
 · 
meta

vancouver i would say. a lot has been happening in there in recent times. can`t support it with facts, sorry.

Jan 24, 06 9:02 am  · 
 · 
Reemy

go to bahrain.. next to dubai,a lot of new projects are being built.

Jan 24, 06 11:45 am  · 
 · 
A

Dubai may be booming but first look into where the architecture firms doing the designs are from. I know of one large American firm that has a London office doing nearly 100% of their work in the middle east. Same goes for a lot of China work. If you want the big paycheck you'll have to find a western city to work in.

Look into New Orleans. They've got plenty of rebuilding to do and lots of gov't money to pay for it. I like those odds.

Jan 24, 06 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
ret

Get an MBA or something, then you won't have to worry about moving!
On a serious note (as requested):
I'm pretty sure the best paying firms are in the US. Lots of work happening in a country does not necessarily mean that you get paid more. Is'nt it related to your experience and skill set (and the exchange rate)?

And hey, Gotan, i think the point on this forum is to have fun while throwing out your ideas...so try and enjoy the jokes!
Make it a great day!:)

Jan 24, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

I wasn't joking about Dubai, it was a serious question. I went there in April 2005, and absolutely loved it (even with sunburn at the beach) If I was just graduating I would definitely look into a work visa there, or find out what firms in London / Europe / USA are doing design work there. A LOT of buildings going up, more than any other place I've ever been. I'll be going back to visit in a couple years definitely.

Jan 24, 06 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i would be very careful about work visas in dubai...ive heard that once you get a work visa from an employer, you cannot change it to work with someone else. I dont know if that is true for dubai, but it is for saudi arabia..

id suggest working with a US, European, or Australian firm that is doing projects in Dubai - that way you get the best of both worlds.

Jan 24, 06 10:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: