Archinect
anchor

Realised student projects

Darren Hodgson

Readers of the schoolblogs may have already seen this link

I was wondering if anyone else had the oppurtunity of one of their student projects actually being constructed; buildings, installations etc.

If it did get constructed, what was your involvement, and what did you get out of the experience?

D

Jan 22, 06 9:21 am
Darren Hodgson

Has nobody had a student project constructed? I'm really intrigued as to other peoples experiences...

Jan 23, 06 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Check out Yale's annual housing project.

Jan 23, 06 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

or check out studio 804 i believe at U of Kansas...they have more interesting built work than Yale imho.

Jan 23, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

the design school at parson's also has the beginnings of a design
build program...i don' know if they're on the web yet..but they just
published a nice small book..a bit different than the rural studio
and others since it concentrates on urban interior projects..

Jan 23, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Darren,

In my 3rd Year [or was it 4th?] at RMIT in Melbourne, a limited studio was based on a competition to design 2 follies for a large new development down in the docklands. Here is the location and you can just see the a small cylindrical building, and a small cube building on the docks edge. The client was MAB a prominent developer, and we had to present to director and his team. We also had the involvement of 3 artists to advise and impact upon eah project. There were about 6 student teams of 2 people.

Unfortunately, my partner and myself came in second place, but the winners had their scheme built. They worked with the principal Architects FKA and SJB to document the project. From a second hand perspective, their experiences were valuable, and of course having a buildings built that early on was invaluable.

Wish we came first.

Jan 23, 06 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

Every 5 years Stylos organizes a competition for a pavilion in front of the faculty of architecture in Delft. It is designed and built by architecture students.

Sadly the previous pavilion burned down, some neignourhood kids played with molotov coctails...

Here are the 5 nominations of the new competition.

Jan 23, 06 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

wow, rutger. i saw that one last year when we took our studio to nl. too bad. it was a very nice > seductive enough that it tempted most of my class to climb up into it.

Jan 23, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

this is my finnish friend, ville hara's, graduation project; just a few years ago now.

he was nominated for archiprix but unfortunately didn't win. as a consolation it was later published in that huge tome liberty bell got for christmas, WORLD ARCHITECTURE, along with koolhaas and cetera.

not a bad start...and a beautiful building.

Jan 23, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: