Archinect
anchor

The next "Building Boom" ?

sporadic supernova

Was just wondering ....

Currently, the middle east trio ( Dubai - Baharain - Qatar) is in the middle of a serious building boom !! though experts say the bubble will burst soon. Plenty of architects and contractors in the middle east ... adn soon Iraq will open its doors too

there is also some major works going on in China

previously it was Malaysia, Singapore, and hong kong. All saturated now !!

which country do you see the next boom coming up? I just need to pack my bags again !!!

Jan 22, 06 2:36 am
manamana

well, what's left?

africa? probably gonna be a while on that one

siberia? maybe...natural resources

I KNOW!!!!

underwater!

buy a submarine.

Jan 22, 06 3:34 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Try Alberta, Canada..checked the price of oil lately...... checked to see what Alberta has a lot of......tar sands! Its close is not exotic but they got cash!

Jan 23, 06 12:37 am  · 
 · 
lizm

Well I think that US troops shouldn't be there. I am doing a paper on why US troops shouldn't be in Iraq if any one has any websites or iformation please email me at [email protected].
thank you and i appereciate it a whole lot.

Liz

Feb 20, 06 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
lizm

Well I think that US troops shouldn't be there. I am doing a paper on why US troops shouldn't be in Iraq if any one has any websites or iformation please email me at [email protected].
thank you and i appereciate it a whole lot.

Liz

Feb 20, 06 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
timpdx

India, no question, but the real boom is probably 7-10 years away. A little fact is that China will surely be the World's largest economy by 2040-50 but will only hold that status for a decade before India takes over. Simple demographics: China's age distribution by then will be closer to Japan, and young India will be in its "prime." I was happy to be witness to China before the boom visiting in the mid-80's, and hopefully will make it to India before it, too, goes off.

Feb 20, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

India huh ?? .. very interesting !!

Feb 21, 06 5:20 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe
Booming in Baja California!

Feb 21, 06 8:48 am  · 
 · 
mdler

africa...as soon as US companies move their customer service centers there

Feb 21, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

dublin, ireland...cause it's dublin everyday. (ha ha, irgh?!)

Feb 21, 06 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
spiderdad

timpx,

do you really think that a boom is going to happen in india....?
and as soon as 7-10 years?

i agree with you with regards to the indian economy- it is potentially huge and i believe "the elephant will overtake the tiger" theory.

but i cant see a building boom coming out of india, because unlike countries like china, UAE- i can't see the indian culture/people being able to get carried away with a huge economic / building boom...

for example, the government has struggled to get the indian infrastructure in order still, and i can;t see them fixing them anytime soon... and this is just something that is inheretnely indian - due to huge, varied population and the fact that it is a democracy with 1 billion+ that results in woobly politics (in the case of China and UAE, the guy-in-charge says do it and it gets done).

and generally, foreign investors are still wary of india, due to things like corruption, etc...

i think india will make it, but i personally think i will still be a slow process - perhaps just at the rate that is going on right now, but for a sustained peroid of time - and a "boom" like china or UAE is unlikely.

this will not necessarily be a bad thing, as this will hopefully mean "no-one will be left behind" (ie, the poor in rural areas)...

anyways, just my thoughts...

anyways, what do you think?

you too, supernova...? share your insights?

Feb 21, 06 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

i hate to see india blowing the money on some stupid trophy buildings when the gdp is around 600-800 per capita. ditto for china 1200-1400.list

Feb 21, 06 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Spiderdad.

As an Indian , I would say that most of your analysis is spot on.

Allow me to add a bit .

Very succintly-> There is a LOT of money in India(There are more millionaires per sqKm in the commercial district of Bombay than there are in Manhattan.)...........but it's tied down...in a manner of speaking.

High Defence budgets due to Hostile neighbours , Government Apathy towards infrastructure and wealth distribution amongst a billion + population adds to the fact that India cannot become a superpower as soon as it should be/could be.

Regarding Arch and real estate,Since building booms are always related with the economy.......well that 'boom' has already started..since 3-4 years back..rather slowly but surely.
More so in the urban and semi-urban pockets spreading towards the rural areas slowly.

we all know that the balance of power and axes are shifting phenomenally all throughout the world..Russia was written off a decade ago..but it still has enough potential to kick anyone's ass many times over.Thats why its difficult to comment effectively on what the future holds.

To put it straight, I dont believe in all this "global Village " carping..In all this vulgar screamings of one-connected world ..I often wonder who/which nation is taking the steps to be the headman of the village.

7-10 years?..well to give my opinion by another 10-15 years ,
yes India would surely be on its way.

Judging by the slow and steady state of progress and in not more than 50 years ..India would rise to and remain the sole superpower .

of course, thats the wishes of this rabid,frothing-at-the-mouth patriot.
I could be wrong..but I wish to be alive and around to practise my profession then.

Feb 22, 06 4:20 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

I have to agree with nevermore.

but the other thing is that, with the private sector making such a lot of money, they are now realizing the value of "image potrayal". The govenment would never invest in a "state of the art" kind of building. They'll probably stick with ordinary lime plastered buildings, and live off the old landmark buildings. not saying that its not good. The fact is that even though india's economy is rock solid, they have a lot of expenses and lives to take care of before they think of a building with a fantastic design.

Architecture will rise in India.. slowly but surely. The sheer amount of talent there is mindblowing, to say the least!!

back to the private sector buildings, the sight of Gurgaon and Noida is a testimony to an emerging building boom in India.

But Hiranandani better stop building those crappy high rise buildings!!

Feb 22, 06 4:32 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

on a similar note ... hafeez contractor had proposed a design for the tallest building in Noida

Feb 22, 06 4:33 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Spiderdad,

I dont think it's logical to compare UAE to India with regards to a building boom.
the point being that, In Dubai, the construction is a primary priority. since dubai lacks Oil, intelligent resources ( I.T., electronics and other science related subjects) and conditions for agriculture, its economy is depended on the construction industry. So the bulk of the funding is set aside for building and selling property.
such is not the case with India. In India, construction will always be a secondary or tertiary priority. And, it's not a major economy booster

Feb 22, 06 4:41 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

sporadic...

R O T F L

In Dubai, the construction is a primary priority. since dubai lacks Oil, intelligent resources

LOL...dude.. i hope any milked-sheikh doesnt read this.

anyways..
yea sporadic , that was another point I wanted to make..abt the priority of construction to the economy.

(very tangentially,vaguely & philosophically speaking )

-->I often wonder..which is greater..or rather more
beautiful...the puddle of the umpteen forms, functions or philosophies and ..theunending verbal dribblings of our profession..OUR ARCHITECTURE.
VS
..the split-second moment of a thermo-nuclear blast which can obliterate generations of all the above mentioned points.

Heck I were not an architect..A layman.

.I would give a metaphor as preferring to live in a hut with an AK-47 for defence rather than in an glitzy post-pre-neo-modern-classical-decon whatchamacaallit condominium with only a broom for protection.

Lol.Excusez-moi.just ranting.

Feb 22, 06 5:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: