Archinect
anchor

Firefox mystery

jct

So I was using Firefox to browse the web, got stuck on a page and had to close the window. When I restarted Firefox, it prompted me to change my user profile because the defaut user (the one I always use) was " in use". With this new user profile I have lost all of my bookmarks and page history.
How can I get back to my original profile? It seems like this should be pretty straight-forward, but I can't figure it out to save my life. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jan 21, 06 4:43 pm
manamana

firefox crashed, but didn't fully close.

open task manager and kill all open firefox.exe processes

restart firefox and you should be back to normal.

Jan 21, 06 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
jct

Thanks for the suggestion, but no luck. I'm still missing my bookmarks and history.

Jan 21, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

then you either didn't do it right, or somehow told firefox that the new profile should be the default.

if you restart your computer and things are back to normal, you didn't do it right.

did you open task manager, click the processes tab, and click firefox.exe, hit "end process", and repeat until there are no firefox.exe processes left? look carefully, they may be buried.

if you restart and it's still not back, close firefox, open explorer and go:

C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

there will be more than one folder, one of which will end in .default.

you can either move this folder to the recycle bin (don't fully delete it till your positive it's not the one you want), or move the .default ending to the other folder name.

you can examine the contents of the various folders (if you really screwed things up and made a bunch) to figure out which one to keep (look at bookmarks.html for example)

Jan 21, 06 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
jct

Thanks, switching the folders did it

Jan 21, 06 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: