Archinect
anchor

Minimal Websites

TWINE

an off-topic question -

what is the architect's obsession with Courier font?

Jan 23, 06 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Mana -

yeah, we are going to have to agree to disagree. Just like with architecture (art, music, etc.) everyone's got their opinion and are entitled to them.

I have to disagree with you about the other technologies. My site, which is entirely html (js/css), doesn't blink as things load inconsistenly, but that's rare and I don't have tons of text and scrolling things to add to the inconsistency. My next site, and indeed 99% of the work I do for clients, will be 90-100% Flash.

Personally, I can't stand sites that change as you change the browser size. I want my content in front of me, text static so I can read and pick up at the same spot even if I change the browser size.
FYI, you an do these things with Flash now, too.

Yes, you can control the browser buttons (bck/frwrd) from Flash, but it requires some js and tricky coding that no one I know bothers with.

Everyone has their opinions and that's fine, but do recognize that the web is not only for straight forward (ie boring) presentations of information. Just like architecture, some of it is there for itself and the target audience (which obviously would not be you). The 'wow' factor cannot be underestimated as a sales and marketing tool and many sites, all Flash, are pushing the boundaries and challenging what the conventions are.
And I like the norms to be challenged, otherwise we'd have square sites and warehouse/box buildings everywhere....oh wait... ;-)

Jan 23, 06 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
e

i am also not a fan of content resizing. outside of aesthetic reasons, it requires using larger images so that when they are scaled up render appropriately, but for the user that has a smaller screen load times are increased. no?

to be kind to those on less robust connections, i make images small on my site and allow users to click on a link if they'd like to see a larger version of that image.

Jan 23, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

Again, I agree almost entirely with your last paragraph. I fully recognize that the web is not just for presenting information, and I can enjoy sites (and architecture) that is for itself. I like challenging norms as much as the next guy. insinuating otherwise is kind of insulting.

I just think the positions are swapped: it's the great non-flash sites that are pushing the boundries and challenging conventions. Flash IS the norm. To me, the novelty of flash has worn off, the wow factor it had has become an eyeroll, and it's now flash that's for the most part boring. In my mind the world is moving on.

If you have any more info on controling browser buttons from flash, I'd love to see it - would be good knowledge to have.

e: I didin't mean in terms of using larger images, I meant more in terms of text and in general more content, not bigger content.

Jan 23, 06 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
e

understood manamana.

Jan 23, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

you mean the days of gabocorp are gone? noooooooooooooooooooo.

Jan 23, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

my apologies, I certainly didn't mean to suggest that you don't like challenging the norm, just that I appreciate firms (arch, sites, etc.) that do push the boundaries.

Two of the best in the world:

http://www.hi-res.net/
http://www.group94.com/

One of my all time favs:

http://www.detremmerie.be/

I'd be interested to hear what people thought of that one.

Jan 23, 06 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

the boundaries are not defined by flash or any other plugin...it is in the understanding of code structures and how they function for a particular site.

Where these concepts have been considered, the site is usually good; when they have not, it is usually bloated, unintelligent and amatuer at best.

Jan 23, 06 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

trace, I am not sure I like the mouse on group94 telling me how to navigate. It should be pretty intuitive, no?

Jan 23, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I would say it depends...for the regular web design type it may be intuitive, but for the more laymen, it is probably a good call out.

i would in no way call group94 minimal or any of the sites they make...extremely elegant and intellegent through their UI functionality...but also highly complex in their structure...just because something appears to be simple or minimal in no way means that it is - I think that is the beauty in sites like that.

Jan 23, 06 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

jason, u need a link to the frontier on that site

Jan 23, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jan 23, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

coming soon in the resources section...Frontier, and menu...as well as maps to Sadies and El Patio.

Jan 23, 06 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

sadies was cooler when it was in the bowling alley. now im craving green chile chicken enchiladas. damn...

Jan 23, 06 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yeah, I didn't mean to post those as minimal sites, but any means, just that they are pushing the envelope in web design.

Honestly, I've never noticed the mouse (their logo that they stick on all the sites they do) telling me what to do. Their site is not blatantly obvious, but it does become easy to navigate if you move your mouse around.

The other site, the Detremmerie site, I think is beautiful. Their actionscript skills are incredible and they do a wonderful job of keeping things intuitive, smooth, and well hidden. I wish I had the time to develop skills to create a site of that calibre (not that I couldn't, but finding clients to pay that much to justify the time is rare - good clients for anything is rare). But it is far more sophisticated than the majoriy would need (or want), but for some of their high end clients, it's a perfect match.

Jan 23, 06 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

flat, with an egg on top.

Jan 23, 06 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

bueno dude

Jan 23, 06 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

Of the two I think I like group94's work the best...but there's still too much use of dippy transitions, sliding text, etc for me. + for them is it seems most of their recent work has working browser buttons, and some of it sorta plays nice with larger screen windows. definitely some of the best flash work I've seen.

the detremmerie site has a great use of color, but after one or two clicks I started to get irritated with the same animated "opening" happening over, and over, and over... and the navbar on the bottom is very awkward.

Jan 23, 06 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes
neptis
Jan 23, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Zoe, are you perchance related to a certain exectutive director?

Jan 23, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Nice site by the way - neptis that is. I am a little on the fence about the rasterized text juxtaposed with the normal web text. It seems it is necessary with Flash, but sometimes the duality presents itself more.

Jan 23, 06 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
stainB

tight
construct

parameters

Jan 24, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 

neptis is quite nice, zoe

Jan 24, 06 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

this is my lady's site (done for an intro to multimedia course last year, so no harsh crits)

Jan 24, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

oh, and she's not in design

Jan 24, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

jasmineprobst.com (oops)

Jan 24, 06 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Have we mentioned one of our own Archinector's sites?

http://www.lateralarch.com

Jan 24, 06 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
yellowtrace

here's one i worked on that's pretty minimal

http://www.areainstitute.org

i also really like these guys

http://www.caput58.net

Jan 25, 06 2:12 am  · 
 · 
auvn
http://www.archinect.com

by the way I have a question on website design:

to get this simple white forum did Archinect team write code for themselves or they modify code from some popular PHP programs. I am really curriuos?

Thanks
AUVN

Jan 25, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes
olk
Jan 26, 06 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes

sorry the above link doesn't work; so much for my minimal posting approach. again:

olk

Jan 26, 06 10:35 am  · 
 · 

brilliant website. it goes onto my list of tops for sure. i think ive seen it before. i like the consistency in his work, too.

Jan 26, 06 11:49 am  · 
 · 
baker
http://www.millermaranta.ch/
Feb 3, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

How about the OPPOSITE of minimal. Click on Kessels Kramer's website 10 time in a row. Or actually try to find anything on it. Advertising firm.

Feb 3, 06 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

um...

the king of minimalism

john pawson

Feb 3, 06 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

self proclaimed, anyway

Feb 3, 06 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
Fish

Two of my all-time favorites:
Office dA
Allied Works Architecture

Feb 4, 06 9:55 am  · 
 · 

both cool, but don't feel minimal exactly.

ofc da's is even fairly 'flash'-y.

pawson's has a lot more stuff than i might have expected. not that it's crowded, but you'd expect a guy who sells minimalism to push it in all aspects of his self-presentation, i.e., he should out-minimal the rest.

Feb 4, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 

a different approach to minimal. not visually minimal, but no choices to make and very little hard information. just a montage of images and video clips meant to convey an impression. and an email address.

red7e

Feb 4, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 

eponymous:
minimal
minimal
minimal
minimal
minimal

Feb 4, 06 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

i always wondered what it would be like to live in one of pawson's designs.

Feb 4, 06 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Forgot about this guy, the first king of bitmap fonts

http://www.miniml.com/

Personally, I think that Office dA site is pretty bad - someone slap that designer for making it resize over and over!!

I've always liked the Allied sites, including the previous version (not minimal, by any means, though)

Feb 4, 06 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
e

and teh office dA site is sloooooow.

Feb 4, 06 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
sverris

funny discussion here.
i like
link, cause it's ugly and the place is close to my place
link, cause it's nice, and has content, and i was living around toronto for some time (on north york univ.-campus - OH, CANADA... great place, i miss it)
link, cause it's nice, and has content, and is good to read (mostly german, sorry), and is loading fast because of plain html, and it's my own.

Feb 4, 06 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

also very sweet:

http://www.mvrdv.nl/

Feb 6, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: