Archinect
anchor

worship the old foggies

Funny how architecture is perhaps the only profession were we worship the works of a much older generation. Most of the leading architects are way into their 60s if not older. Success amongst younger professionals is rare, and many times short lifed.

What about this forces us to work past what is claimed as our retirement age? Is the golden age really a golden for us professionally?

discuss

Jan 20, 06 3:03 pm
FRO

I feel that ours, even more than others, is a profession of constant learning. The nature of being an architect dictates that we must have a working understanding of a HUGE number of fields. That, combined with the rapid evolution of things like: technologies of materials and assembly, sustainablity, and even theory (to name just a few) tempers and refines each architect's individual vision as they progress. Not to mention actually getting good at the more ephemeral ability to recognize the needs of your client, especially when they themselves do not, and providing for them effectively and even elegantly. This means that it can take most of your life to finally get 'good' at what you've always wanted to do, and realize that vision.

Or maybe it's just long overdue respect for surviving with (parts of) your sanity (somewhat) intact.

Jan 20, 06 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

i would say that doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, scientists, engineers, and technology fields/professions are also complex jobs that require constand learning.

Jan 20, 06 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

yes.

Jan 20, 06 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i thought that said "worship the old fraggles"
my bad

Jan 20, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

odd, I initially read it as "worship the old froggies"

Jan 20, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
French

Me too. I'm self obssesed.

Jan 21, 06 5:35 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

@french.......

can we meet ?

Jan 21, 06 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
White T. Rash

i learned the other day that suzy mae has a husband. i was on my lunch break over'n there and i'll be damned if he didn't come home for lunch himself. apparently he'd just gotten a promotion over'n at the catfish plant and came home early to'n celebrate. i had to hop out the bedroom windows with my cloths in one hand and pecker n the other. that goest to show you that experience had better n teach us something cause i'll be sure to head over n suzy mae's before lunch next time.

Jan 21, 06 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

Ricardo Bofill. In the verge of eradicating worlds housing problem in an afternoon.

who you gonna worship?

Jan 21, 06 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

how bout a frog flavored donut, hun?

Jan 21, 06 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
French

nevermore
I'm no lady, but I just thought your comment was goofy. And seeing where you are, I'm not sure I can afford the plane ticket to come see you. Sorry.

Jan 22, 06 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

French....Thats ok...As long as you are female cos you see I dont really like hang out with women who look like they have stepped out of Town & Country Magazine.

No probs..I'll send u the plane ticket.

dont get me wrong ,Im not desperate...just that ,I like self-obsessed people.

so ....???

Jan 23, 06 4:41 am  · 
 · 
French

nevermore
I'm a man. Sorry.

Jan 23, 06 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

yea i know ...life sucks

Jan 23, 06 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

yea i know ...life sucks

Jan 23, 06 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

yea i knew that ........but you do have a very caring feminine side.

bravo bravo

Jan 23, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

dont let that stop you two. i think you definitely have some chemistry. you can admire one another's iliac furrows...

Jan 23, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
White T. Rash

my friend bobby liked to have his way with his sheep. the county came and took all of bobby's sheep away, his goats, chickens and pigs too.

now bobby's having take medicine because he says he's depressed.

Jan 23, 06 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

that is the saddest story i have ever heard...

Jan 23, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

Now that's how you turn a post inside out. I'm here laughing my ass at the thought of the sheep at french & nevermore's wedding. What a sight.

Jan 23, 06 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
French

Now, let's go back to Ricardo Bofill if you guys don't mind...

Jan 24, 06 6:25 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

French..Vado is just jealous of true friendship.......Ignore him

Jan 24, 06 7:02 am  · 
 · 
babs

remember ... it's called "professional practice' for a reason !

i have a very good friend who always says the main reason he entered architecture in the first place was because he'd never really have to retire ... he can work until he can't work anymore ... it's not about the money ... it's about what he loves

Jan 25, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

It's idealistic but ("professional practice") what a dream. Maybe one day when all the old motherfuckers are dead (or I kill them, muhahaha) and I rule the office ... shit, I'll never live that long, this world will kill me off before too long. Our office is so slow now, no money for me, no projects for me, the projects I had I gave to the younger guy, quite the friendly gesture, as he's not married and has no one else to help pay his bills. Maybe I can get 24 CEU's for philanthropy. Good thing my life doesn't revolve around architecture, I find that taking an interest in other things helps to re-adjust one's psyche to a more healthy reality... if that's possible. Now if I could just convince my wife of my philosophy and reasons for giving everyone else the work and bringing home no paychecks... it will be an interesting month or three.

Jan 25, 06 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
babs
LightMyFire66

... you are a sad, sad person ... aia.org currently lists 1,361 vacant architectural jobs in the us ... archinect currently lists well over 500 vacant architectural jobs (probably way more ... i got tired of scrolling) in the us and abroad.

if you cant' find gainful employment at a good firm in this economy, you aren't trying.

Jan 26, 06 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

I like your attitude, Babs.

Jan 26, 06 10:37 am  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

1. I didn't say I was looking babs.
2. I said I have other interests besides architecture.
3. I guess I shouldn't have said "NO PROJECTS" for me, as there is work at different stages, some waiting for others to contribute, review etc., so right now it's just a slow period for me. I guess I'm guilty of straying between the pandering truth and slight exaggeration for fun.
I keep my sense of humor at home and here, since unfortunately, too many architects don't have a sense of humor, as you can see. No matter how hard I try I can't be a tight-ass, I have to be able to laugh at everything, including myself, what is life worth living for if not?
4. I DO have an interview tomorrow morning. I interviewed at 2 other firms a few weeks back. One wanted to hire me immediately but the office environment was not exactly what I wanted. Ooooh I'm such a "sad, sad person"...give me a fucking break, if you can't figure out from what I wrote that I was being entertainingly sarcastic, not for my own benefit, and if you think that I am "sad" because I support and mentor young architects in my office, then I surely can't defend myself against your "judgment".
5. I'll take another job when I'm goddamn good and ready, it could be tomorrow, it could be next month, I'm not in a rush, and am perfectly happy at the office I'm currrently with. That's the main reason I'm being choosy about taking another job... I want to get along with the people there just as well as here.

Jan 26, 06 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Metaphoracle

Is that you again, McInturff?

Jan 26, 06 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
babs
LightMyFire66

- sorry if i caused offense ... it just that your prior post seemed so cynical and depressing and despairing

Jan 26, 06 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: