Archinect
anchor

Hot CAD-CAM projects.

Zoë Coombes

Can anyone provide links to a site which describes interesting CAD-CAM made projects? I'm wondering about objects or spaces made with 3D-Milling machines, laser cutters, STL printers and the like. Know a link?

Jun 26, 04 6:10 pm
formanaught

there might be some rapid proto-typing type of stuff at;

http://www.sial.rmit.edu.au/

Jun 27, 04 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes

Really, I’m really getting bored of:

“self-supporting membrane[s] introduce[ed] as a serial field whose repetition is tempered by surface variations characterised by wave and braid-like shapes.”

Waat?. (See Evan Douglas article in the first link.) What about a product with a more straight-forward purpose?

Nevertheless, the guy who actually made those pieces was a master-craftsman to the next-level no? Complicated. How come that guy can’t go off on his own and make some super-hot patio furniture? Something a bit more functional than the fantastic-wave described above.

The above link to SIAL describes some interesting work though. Mark Burry has been using CATIA to ‘reverse engineer’ Gaudi’s models and finish up Barcelona’s Sagrada Famillia. Check the brief description and .stl models at: http://sagradafamilia.sial.rmit.edu.au/index2.html

Any other projects?

Jun 27, 04 11:08 am  · 
 · 

zoefutur... sorry that you're bored...why did you ask then? it's not so easy to dislodge the funtional objects from less function-specific experiments. craft is developed through a variety of experiments. they don't all have to be so straight-forward.

Jun 27, 04 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes

No, Javier, I didn’t mean that as a criticism of your post. Thanks for throwing it up. For sure, architectural developments come from all kinds of places; experiments need not be directed to have a meaningful result. I remember reading once, that the first working steam railroad train was invented as an amusement park ride. No purpose other than weekend fun. So I agree with you in that it is false to think there is a clear dividing line between functional result, and less fuction-specific experiments.

But, I do think that it is possible for the digital fabrication scene to make some things that engage with more central problems in architecture. Perhaps it is happening in ways I haven’t seen, and that is why I am asking.

Plus, tomorrow, I’m starting a workshop at the IAAC in Barcelona that is all about the possibilities of 3D milling. That 3D drill makes things in a really different way, and my guess is that there are a lot of things to be made that just aren’t possible without it. I’ve seen a lot of projects that don’t serve much function but are in a sense, ‘experimental’. I’m just wondering if anyone is making things I might take interest in outside of an art gallery.

p.s. SERIOUSLY, I like this stuff. If it weren’t for the pricetag, i’d buy one today for my living room.

Jun 27, 04 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
http://www.massiearchitecture.com/
Jun 27, 04 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: