Archinect
anchor

Why does NCARB punish unemployed interns?

romanp

Imagine that you lost your job at the end of 2010.  You spent 2011 working odd jobs, getting by, and then somehow you land a job in architecture again at the end of the year.  Meanwhile, your NCARB record has "expired".

You must pay $150 (renewal and past due), even if you have not worked in architecture for that year. 

If you think this predatory and could happen to you, I encourage you to ask them about this fee policy: [email protected]

This has to change... what can we do?  

Dec 21, 11 9:31 am
marmkid

going on the premise that NCARB is required (to not encourage the NCARB/IDP sucks and is worthless talk that is on its way)......

what do you want them to do?

They cant run as an organization for free (no matter how crappily run you think they are), so they cant just not collect fees.

I think the best you could hope for is a grace period to apply for when out of work for an extended period of time.  Which i think is completely reasonable to have and could be coordinated with any hours you submit.  Now that the 6 month rule is in effect for the hours submitted, I think this could be worked out.

Though, as an organization, it will be tough to give up the fees they collect, so i dont expect any real changes

Dec 21, 11 9:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: