Archinect
anchor

Boston in Three Days

brian buchalski

time to end this thread, you guys are really making me miss boston...

Jan 17, 06 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

can't believe i forgot. cheap eats and tasty goodness = pho pasteur. hot noodle soup on a cold afternoon. mmmm....

Jan 17, 06 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

Brown Sugar Cafe is good too, thats in the area between Fenway and Huntington. I think they opened a second one somewhere, but not sure on the location - anyone know?

Jan 17, 06 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oh and it's in harvard square

Jan 17, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

bartley burgers. mmmmm tasty.

Jan 17, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

pixel the other brown sugar location is on comm ave near BU. its near the paradise. which is another great place to see music. though their acts have been less than exciting lately.

Jan 17, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

Paradise is great, unless you get stuck behind one of those god-forsaken columns.

Jan 17, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

i saw the decemberists at the paradise. best show EVER.

Jan 17, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

the paradise has good bands but actually i hate the venue, acousics, and usually the crowd too. :( perhaps that's a problem with all states-side venues.

I'm surprised to hear that someone misses this town. I wonder why?

I'll have to try bukowski's out--I pass by it on my walk home every single night, but never knew it was anything special! Looks so weird squeezed next to the freeway like that.

Maybe our 'nect meetup should be there.

Jan 17, 06 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
brand avenue

simon's on mass ave on the way to porter from harvard is a well-kept caffeine secret. good brownies too. no one has mentioned diesel in davis, which personally i think is much better than 1369.

caffeine in the north end might beat all of those, though.

Jan 17, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I love the North End. You can just go down there and pick any restaurant and chances are it will be good.

Jan 17, 06 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

M-

bukowski's has chahm...cause it's all squeezed in like that..and
a beer list like nobody's business.. don't know if they're still
giving out mugs or if that's done.

i miss boston in that i know it backwards and forwards...but i'm
glad i don't live there for the same reason...felt as though i'd
stopped exploring.

Jan 17, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

yeah it's definitely a small town and one that you can really get to know well pretty fast. Most of these places you guys are mentioning were already on my radar but I didn't know whether they were any good or not (and if I'm gonna take the T all the way into town and then back out again to get to Cambridge, I'm only gonna do it if I know there's something good waiting at the other end!).

Lately I've enjoyed a couple places at Washington Square (the W.S. Tavern and the Publick House) which are surprisingly homey despite my worries that the area would be too yuppieish.

I miss Pittsburgh.

Jan 17, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I guess I have a hard time around here because I always feel like I'm totally on the outside of a good time. Like, I'm not a student, nor do I know a single student or have any ties to student life here--so when I go out in Cambridge, I almost invariably feel like I'm sitting at the loser table in the school cafeteria and everyone else is having a better time. It just makes me miss college life and reminds me that I have to get home to bed if I'm gonna be a good worker bee tomorrow!

The flip side is that I don't make enough money to enjoy the non-student side of Boston--so I'm kinda caught between. My current plan is to just try to meet other people like myself and hopefully we'll carve out our own loser, po'-worker table together.

Jan 17, 06 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

What?

ohhhhh... Boston in Three Days.... I thought it said 'Boston Three Way'

Carry on then.

Jan 17, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

myriam:
count me in on the po'-worker table. Bukowski's for the meetup sounds great, I haven't been there in a while.

lars:
Bukowski's still does the "earn a mug" thing if you drink all the beers on the beer list. I have friends that kept their score card in their wallet religiously just in case they randomly stopped by for a beer.

Jan 17, 06 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

do u have to drink them all at once?

Jan 17, 06 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

pixel...
i thought i'd heard that the bukowski's in boston didn't have any more mug
space so they weren't giving out any new mugs...the one in inman is
starting the tradition again..

Jan 18, 06 1:19 am  · 
 · 
snooker

You can hang in Kenmore Square...and if your lucky a Scientologist might approach you and start asking you questions....well ask them to take you to lunch...dinner....long as it is a first class place...cheap meal terrible conversation.

Jan 18, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

hey guys ... i have nothing to add (yet) ... but i love this thread so it's kind of a "put me on your list" so i can get those "someone's responded to your post" emails .... thanks neighbors :)

Jan 18, 06 9:30 pm  · 
 · 

archinect "po'-workers table" club

Jan 18, 06 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
ess

a related question out of my curiosity...

did anyone here go to the architects in film series tonight at the mfa?
i was just combing through 'dig' an hour ago and noticed the film on mies started the series and that it's on 01.18.05

...tonight. i missed it.

however, i read also that the series will include features in the upcoming week on zaha, gehry, foster. my question though - is whether this is an mfa-constructed event, or do these films exist outside of the museum (and the mfa is merely a forum to host them?
is there another way i can catch the one i missed tonight?

if anyone knows and might pass along the answer, thanks in advance.

Jan 18, 06 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I saw it, it was interesting. Dragged a couple non-architect friends with me and they enjoyed it too.

The films at the MFA are shown in the auditorium basically just off the lobby; you don't have to pay museum entrance to see them, they have a seperate box office. The films almost always exist outside the museum; the one last night was done in 2004 by a canadian film company. I really have no idea where you could manage to get a copy of a film like that, however. I know that the Mies film was put on jointly by the BSA and the BAC, so you might call one of them and ask around. Also, I don't know anything about the GSD's library, but I would imagine an arch. school might have copies of movies like that (mine did, but a very limited amount).

One thing I can say is that Mies was probably one of the more popular films of the series, and there were still plenty of open seats left, so don't do what I did and buy your ticket in advance online and pay $1 more for the "ease".

I'm planning on going to the Siza film for sure, and perhaps a few others.

Jan 19, 06 9:04 am  · 
 · 

I'm probably going to the Zaha movie on Sunday morning.

Jan 19, 06 10:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: