Archinect
anchor

working with meshes in Rhino

RAArch

can someone perhaps explain meshes to me? im having a hard time figuring out their worth.
i have a pretty complicated model that is made up entirely of meshes, i did not create this model, but i do have to work with it now.
i can't snap to any surface or to any points on these meshes and what i'd really love to do is use the make2d command, but apparently you can't do that either.

does anyone have any tips or suggestions for working with meshes, specifically getting a 2d line drawing from them?

thank you in advance.

Jan 13, 06 3:15 am
boot

rhino is a nurbs modeller and works with mesh objects only to help with stl production. This is actually a nice feature, but will not help with what you want to do.

If you cannot get the original model in igs then import to maya, and render vector images; then save this image in illustrator format. From .ai you can export to whatever cad software you use. Perhaps max can also do this, i don't know.

good luck, you can do it

Jan 13, 06 5:37 am  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

From rhino you can 'create 2d line drawing', then export the selected line drawing (it outputs it into the same file, you'll see it when you zoom out) to illustrator.
Did that help? That might not be what you were after.
I use this feature a lot, and sometimes do my material fills in photoshop to get a different effect than putting materials on in rhino and rendering in flamingo, or exporting to Max and using materials/rendering there.

Jan 13, 06 9:17 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Kudless

As was stated above, Rhino is primarily a nurbs modeler and it just doesn't make much sense to do heavy modelling in meshes in rhino. The beta of version 4 has a few more tools for meshes (boolean operations) but still they are not up to the level of other software.

However, one option may be to use the MeshToNurbs command within rhino. This will convert all meshs to nurbs, i.e. all triangular or quad faces will become trimmed nurbs surfaces. You can then use the MergeAllFaces command to try and reduce the complex of the model. This will merge faces that are coplaner. Onve it is back in nurbs you will be able to do the make2d command.

But overall, I agree with Simon above and to just use another software.

Jan 13, 06 9:54 am  · 
 · 
manamana

in addition to what andrew said:

if the model is too complicated, when you try to do meshtonurb, it will error out after a long time due to hitting the windows 2GB application memory limit (don't ask).

you can get around this by doing it in smaller chunks - convert each layer separately, for example (if the objects are split up by layers)

also keep in mind that the meshtonurb command can take a few minutes to crunch, even on fast computers.

Jan 13, 06 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

yeah manamana i learned that the hard way. i converted each mesh separately, which worked, took a long time, but it worked. when i went to make2d on my new polysurfaces it took an hour for rhino to create the drawing. when it finally did i exported it to aCAD and the drawing had over 400,000 lines. oh boy.
but everything worked. thanks to everyone for your help.

Jan 13, 06 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: