Archinect
anchor

The Road Less Traveled

JMGrant

Nearing the end of my Masters of Arch. program at Texas A&M, I am curious if there are any others out there like myself who quit their jobs, cashed out on their SoCal house, and returned to school?

Jan 13, 06 12:41 am
JMGrant
Jan 13, 06 12:45 am  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

I missed the boat on that one. Graduated in May, I wasn't out of school early enough to buy a house or get into real estate. The Wash DC/Northern VA market has been insane the past few years, looks like that's about tapped out :(

Jan 13, 06 9:19 am  · 
 · 
JMGrant

The difficult part now is getting back into Southern California. I am beginning to get job offers; but the salary would all go into rent, and not be enough for a mortgage for several years .

Jan 13, 06 9:42 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Until the bubble bursts, which won't be very dramatic anyway given the nature of So. Cal. development, anyone who leaves southern california will not be able to come back, barring enormous life changes like suddenly marrying a surgeon.

Jan 13, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

You can always come back, it's just that as far as real estate is concerned there are going to be a lot of people with trailers parked next to mine under the 405.

Jan 13, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 
myriam

haha precisely. Unless I find that surgeon.

Jan 13, 06 11:49 am  · 
 · 
JMGrant

Leaving So Cal is the opposite of the Hotel California -- You can leave, but you can never return.

Jan 13, 06 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

“Keep the dream alive; because, you know, otherwise one day you’ll go ooh, could I have made it? You know, and if you keep trying, at least then, when it doesn’t happen, you know, you can go, at least I gave it a go, you know”

David Brent
The Office TV Series

Jan 14, 06 12:54 am  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Oh for fuck’s sake. Start complaining when people start offhandedly saying “you can’t buy anything for a million dollars” like they have been in New York or the Bay Area for years. My stripper friends from SF all moved back to LA when the .com bubble burst because they though they could buy houses. Maybe marry a stripper.

Jan 14, 06 1:00 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the road less travelled often ends here...

Jan 14, 06 11:18 am  · 
 · 
garpike

WM seeking F surgeon.

Jan 14, 06 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: