Archinect
anchor

Your Amazon Wishlist - says a lot about a person!

TWINE
TWINE

And by the way, this is in NO manner me trying to get anyone to buy me things - or anyone for that matter, I'll end up buying these myself, eventually.

Eventually eventually...

Jan 12, 06 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Jan 12, 06 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

guess ill cancel that artists and prostitutes order...

Jan 12, 06 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
TWINE

Yea, David LaChapelle got really full of himself this time. Silly David, silly Taschen.

Jan 12, 06 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits
http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/ref=cs_top_nav_wl/102-4425856-2524107?type=wishlist

There is some wanky shit on there...

-andrew

Jan 13, 06 10:36 am  · 
 · 
TWINE

Wanky?

Jan 13, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

David laChapelle always looks like a dumb hollywood fratboy at his openings. Amanda Lepore is really scary too. I made eye contact with her and felt my balls shrink to the size of raisens.

Shiversssssss

Jan 13, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Sorry for all who weren't expecting that hideous sight.

Jan 13, 06 10:49 am  · 
 · 
TWINE

I completely agree, but maybe that's part of the fascination. Have you seen his runway opening for Heatherette using her and a stick of MAC lipstick?

If you think she's creepy normally, just watch that.

Jan 13, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 
inkwray

Five Architects: Eisenman, Graves, Gwathmey, Hejduk, Meier by Peter Eisenman
See similar items $18.15
Massive Change by Bruce Mau $19.77
Against the Wall: Israel's Barrier to Peace by Michael Sorkin $13.57
Archigram: Architecture without Architecture by Simon Sadler $23.10
The Network Society: A Cross-Cultural Perspective by Manuel Castells $40.00
Enduring Innocence : Global Architecture and Its Political Masquerades by Keller Easterling $16.47
Constructing Architecture : Materials, Processes, StructuresA Handbook by Andrea Deplazes $42.81
Freakonomics : A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt $15.11
The World Is Flat : A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century by Thomas L. Friedman $10.88
The Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson $105.00
The Hydrogen Economy by Jeremy Rifkin $10.17
Labyrinths: Selected Stories and Other Writings (New Directions Paperbook, 186) by Jorge Luis Borges $10.46
At Home in the Universe : The Search for the Laws of Self-Organization and Complexity by Stuart Kauffman $12.21
Thinking Architecture
See similar items $25.00
Transmaterial : A Catalog of Materials that Redefine our Physical Environment by Blaine Brownell $16.47
Complexity: The Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and Chaos by Mitchell M. Waldrop $10.50
Hidden Order: How Adaptation Builds Complexity (Helix Books) by John H. Holland $10.88
The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities for Our Time by Jeffrey Sachs $18.45
Why I Committed Suicide by sam paul $21.95
Anti-Rationalists and the Rationalists by Nikolaus Pevsner $113.00
The Conquest of Cool : Business Culture, Counterculture, and the Rise of Hip Consumerism by Thomas Frank $11.90
What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America by Thomas Frank $16.32
One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy by Thomas Frank $10.17
Commodify Your Dissent: Salvos from the Baffler by Thomas Frank $10.20
Nexus: Small Worlds and the Groundbreaking Science of Networks by Mark Buchanan $17.13
Social Network Analysis : Methods and Applications (Structural Analysis in the Social Sciences) by Stanley Wasserman $42.00
Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution by Howard Rheingold $10.88
Sync: The Emerging Science of Spontaneous Order by Steven Strogatz $16.47
Linked: How Everything Is Connected to Everything Else and What It Means by Albert-Laszlo Barabasi $10.20
The Sand Dollar and the Slide Rule: Drawing Blueprints from Nature by Delta Willis
See similar items $12.00
Crash : A Novel by J. G. Ballard $10.40
Small Worlds: The Dynamics of Networks between Order and Randomness (Princeton Studies in Complexity) by Duncan J. Watts $17.79
10 X 10 _ 2 by Editors of Phaidon Press $47.25
Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines (Graphic Artists Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines) by Graphic Artists Guild $23.07
Pet Architecture Guide Book by Atelier Bow-Wow $16.32
Emergence: The Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities, and Software by Steven Johnson

Jan 13, 06 11:02 am  · 
 · 

wishlist

It's interesting to see these books on sociology and economics on people's lists.

Jan 13, 06 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

/obvious...

Jan 13, 06 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring
Shamelessly long.
Jan 13, 06 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'll say it again, partly as a representation of my somewhat anti-corporate attitude, but mostly because it's such an amazing bookstore:

shop Powell's first

They have wish lists, too.

Jan 13, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

Powells @ University of Chicago, favorite bookstore ever. Except I hear the Portland one is ten times the size ...

Jan 13, 06 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

How to Buy Nothing

Ownership can be a burden. Once you buy something, you have to carry it around, fix it, remember where you put it, and keep it clean. Experiment with the freedom of buying nothing and embrace Henry David Thoreau's sentiment that "he who owns little is little owned."

Steps:
1. Practice reverse snobbery. Express contempt for people who mindlessly buy things. This has two benefits: It raises the act of not buying things to a lofty moral height, from which you can denigrate others, and you get to enjoy the irony of simultaneously being a snob while making fun of other snobs.

2. Go to shopping malls and department stores and briefly let your materialistic impulses loose. Try on a bunch of sweaters and choose three or four. Add a few ties or scarves. Walk around for a few minutes enjoying your stack of loot. Then put it back on the shelf and walk out. Think about how unnecessary that stuff is. You probably already have something just like it. What a relief to not have more junk around the house.

3. Get satisfaction from money saved, not money spent. Set up direct deposit so that 10 percent or more of your paycheck goes automatically into a savings or investment account or buys United States savings bonds.

4. Become a scrounger. Old bicycles, furniture, building materials, vehicles, books and clothing are everywhere, once you start looking. Become skilled at resurrecting old stuff and finding uses for it. Take pride in being an eccentric recycler.

5. Look for barter opportunities. Swap your homegrown vegetables for repairs on your house, for example. Some cities have local barter networks where credits can be earned and exchanged for needed services. Because no money is exchanged when you barter, you avoid paying taxes, which can mean a substantial savings.

6. Consider having a "buy nothing Christmas" this year. You can find details at BuyNothingChristmas.org.

Overall Tips:
Studies have shown that most children want more time from their parents, not more toys.

Buy Nothing Day is usually held on the day after Thanksgiving in the US and on a late November Saturday in the UK and other countries.

Jan 13, 06 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: