Archinect
anchor

Help me share a Rhino model

RAArch

I need to be able to email a Rhino model to a client in order for them to view it. So i need to keep the file small enough [exporting as a .dxf is not an option] and the client will need some sort of 3D viewer to look at it. Unfortunately he is mac based to downloading a Rhino viewer isn't an option.

Is there a viewer that you know of that will run off of OX while reading a .3dm file or some other similar file that would be small enough to email? Currently the rhino model is 3megs, i could email up to 5megs or so.

thank you in advance.

Jan 12, 06 2:16 pm

For viewing, perhaps eDrawings?

Jan 12, 06 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

thanks for that pixelwhore, only problem with that is it only supports dxf/dwg from rhino which are too big to email.

but if we end up going the ftp route this will come in handy, so thank you.

Jan 12, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

you try lowering your rendermesh settings before exporting?

Jan 12, 06 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

yes i did, that knocked off about 3-4 megs from the file, but at 33 megs [as a dxf] is still a far cry from the 5 i need it to be to email. if you have any other tips i'd love to hear them...im a little new to the export game in rhino.

thanks

Jan 12, 06 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

You can control the amount of polygonal faces on surfaces individually.

Convert the simpler objects/surfaces to polygons before converting to a dxf. Select all of the simplest objects like rectangular planes and cubes and convert Nurbs to Polygons under Tools. Set the number of polygons to low (A simple cube should only have two triangles per face).

Leave the more complex forms alone.

This should help.

Also, I am not sure if the rendermesh is saved with a DXF, but if it is, make sure you have the "Save Small" option selected when exporting. This will knock off up 90% of your file size (at least on a native Rhino file)!

Jan 12, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost
www.yousendit.com

upload. email the link.

no idea about the viewer.

why not just save a series of views and email those?

Jan 12, 06 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

thanks garpike.

that took off about 10 more megs, but im still at 20+

i think the underlying problem is the main geometry, which is a model of a 727, which is made up of meshes. i didn't personally create this so im at a loss as to what to do to it. perhaps the dxf/ftp route is the only way to go here.

thanks for the input.

Jan 12, 06 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

thanks spaceghost!! not only was that my favorite cartoon as a child, this will deliver the dxf and our client will be able to view using pixelwhore's viewer.

much thanks.

Jan 12, 06 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Jeff Mottle

I know quite a few people who use:

http://www.fileflow.com/

I personally use it to receive all of the submissions on CGarchitect to avoid killing my server. Looks similar to the link posted above, but migth have a few more features.

Cheers,
Jeff

Jan 12, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
_other_

for future reference this FF extension is due to launch soon letting everyone just Torrent everything

Jan 12, 06 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

thanks everyone.

Jan 12, 06 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

No problem. Now this was a rare good thread. Useful.

Jan 13, 06 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: