Archinect
anchor

Freed Nebraska in elevation

SuperHeavy

I mostly just want to brag up this building. I walked by it twice a day for 3 years and would often just hang out in its public spaces if I had time and something to read or write. The 2 myths on this one has to do with the long elevation of the building resembling the outline of Nebraska and the proposal to make the building longer than its competitor was tall (as bank owners do like their phallic one upmanship).
It has lost something in the age of carbombing with the addition of a forest of massive planters closing up the spaces created on either plaza. And I have NEVER seen the south doors full open like shown in the picture. They also cluttered up alot of the interior spaces with cubicl-esqe offices.

Other than that, it garnered my further appreciation every day.

Jan 12, 06 12:01 pm
drums please, Fab?

ah yes, i know this one well ...

so i'm sure Borner has told his stories about the negligence of using single pane glazing in nebraska? i believe it's been replaced/upgraded.

yeah, i didn't know those south doors could open like that and i lived in lincoln for 22 years ~ i guess it's either too hot or too cold to ever have it like that.

while the cantilievered concrete beam may not have been intended to represent nebraska's panhandle, it still does. so yes, it's a myth that freed based it on the shape of nebraska. but now that it's been built, it takes on that reading even though the designer didn't intend it.

the biggest myth, for me, is that almost everyone says it was designed by I.M. Pei ...

Jan 12, 06 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: