Archinect
anchor

I Need Wood!

gman_NY

I'm looking for a weatherproof wood siding product (but not a panel system like Finply) - something that is tongue & groove natural looking coloration and could be used on an exterior facade. This is for a multi-family residential project so the maintenance needs to be as near to zero as possible. Are there resin impregnated woods that would work? Or is there a super heavy duty clear coat sealer that is recommended on a particular species?

Jan 9, 06 2:34 pm
SuperHeavy

gkeffer, please tell me you are a fan of the game Settlers of Cattan.

Jan 9, 06 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
norm

i've got wood.

Jan 9, 06 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

"Wood is good".....Kozmo Kramer

Gkeffer, is any of this helping?

Jan 9, 06 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
gman_NY

Hmmmm... not really much help -

Jan 9, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Are you looking for wood, or for one of the many "wood like substances"?

Real wood -- I don't care what you dip it in, paint on it, or impregnate it with -- is not particularly permanent. So that leaves the faux products. Which most cool people hate.

There was a thread last week about cladding you might check out, but it was not limited to "wood".

Jan 9, 06 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

wood = maintenance
no such maintenance free wood product...
the closest thing is probably cedar/redwood tongue & groove siding that is stained, but it's very expensive now and does not last as long as it used to (old growth wood is no longer available - the new stuff does not have the insect/rot resistant proerties that old wood had), and it will still have to be re-finished every few years (maybe 5 years with a stain depending on orientation & climate, as opposed to every one or two years for a polyurethane type finish).
hence the widespread use of stucco & cement siding...

Jan 9, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

That reminds me, no more E.I.F.S., either.

Jan 9, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
switters

settlers of catan is awesome.

Jan 9, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

I've got wood for sheep!

Jan 9, 06 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jan 9, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Jan 9, 06 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
rutger
platowood

Site is in dutch, only a few pages are translated in english.
The wood gets boiled or something, it's popular in NL 'cos it's inexpensive, low maintenace and looks nice.
Check 'projecten' for examples, features some nice projects. My fav is 'Ecologische boerderij De Mikkelhorst' by Onix

technical pdf here

Jan 9, 06 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

Trex or cement hardi panel (wood grain) otherwise:
NO!
(to my extremely limited yet vast knowledge anyway)

Jan 9, 06 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
Joshua Coggeshall

I know you said you didn't want finply but this stuff could be ripped down to size, (It will cost you both arms and half a leg). but it has a real wood veneer....

http://www.fincolorply.com/parklex1000.htm#

or

http://www.parklex.com

You could also try the swiss pearl type products or prismaclad. Like Hardi panels but smoother and with colors.

http://www.americanfibercement.com/pris.html

Good luck

Jan 10, 06 1:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: