Archinect
anchor

divorce, family and the idea of home

alexan

Admitting only a general interst in the correlation in the topic thus far, I am interested in the present destruction of the atomic family and how this is affecting homes. If these spaces are merely constructions in which a repeating set of actions happen daily, how are they changing in realtion to the evoltuion of our culture.
speaking in context of america

and why do rappper make architect refrences so much?

Jan 8, 06 12:25 am
Maestro

You should read Builder Magazine or attend the NAHB show. They are light years ahead of architects on this issue.

Jan 8, 06 1:18 am  · 
 · 
garpike

During a crit in undergrad, second year, I had a very angry female critic ask me why I put the kitchen next to the garage. She just jumped on her high horse and told me how sexist it was to give the woman easy access to the groceries. I thought "man this is too easy."

I replied, somewhat arrogantly as many of us did in undergrad, "First of all, giving anyone access to the groceries makes sense, and second, this house if for a gay couple!"

All in all, I am not sure how the house will change. And I get the feeling (here goes) architects will have nothing to do with it. Builders will.

Jan 8, 06 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

"...atomic family" ? Sorry, that's funny.

kaaaa-BOOOM!

Jan 8, 06 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
TED

somehow xietao, you looking pestimistically on the situation looking for a single reason, somewhat a reductionist approach to the issue.

its not a single so called tragic event that is changing the idea of home. we now understand society not as a singular but a multiple. much much more varigation that that.

compare societies, technology, single parents by choice, working, safety, and perhaps the impact of major urban renewal projects of the 50s and demise of those viable communites.

donna reed and father knows best were on idealized atomic familes. and lets not forget the beaver and wally.

but i guess we still have desperate housewifes.

Jan 8, 06 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
alexan

this tragic event as you call it is not much more than an overall summation of the changing culture which is redefining domestic life.

i am not taking a stance merely asking a question.

families live in homes, homes are architecture. is this correlation not important?

or maybe bob and denise are right;
"Architects places are full of no one
'whiles other places are full of people."

Jan 8, 06 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

Atomic or not, royalty always lives in palaces; and atomic or not, the non-noble will always wish to live in palaces.

Jan 8, 06 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
AP

sorry jd, couldn't disagree more with the 2nd part of that statement. (if you're being serious, that is :)

Jan 8, 06 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

*HOW TO MAKE A WOMAN HAPPY.......
It's really not difficult...
To make a woman happy; a man only needs to be :
1. a friend
2. a companion
3. a lover
4. a brother
5. a father
6. a master
7. a chef
8. an electrician
9. a carpenter
10. a plumber
11. a mechanic
12. a decorator (architect)
13. a stylist
17. a psychologist
18. a pest exterminator
19. a psychiatrist
20. a healer
20. a good listener
22. an organizer
23. a good story teller
24. very clean
25. sympathetic
26. athletic
26. warm
27. attentive
28. gallant
29. intelligent
30. funny
31. creative
32. tender
33. strong
34. understanding
35. tolerant
36. prudent
37. ambitious
38. capable
39. courageous
40. determined
41. true
42. dependable
43. passionate

WITHOUT FORGETTING TO:
44. give her compliments regularly
45. love shopping
46. be honest
47. be very rich
48. not stress her out
49. not look at other girls

AND AT THE SAME TIME, YOU MUST ALSO:
50. give her lots of attention, but expect little yourself
51. give her lots of time, especially time for herself
52. give her lots of space, never worrying about where
she goes

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT:
53. Never to forget:
* birthdays
* anniversaries
* arrangements she makes
-------------------------------------------------------

HOW TO MAKE A MAN HAPPY:
1 . Leave him in peace*

Jan 9, 06 4:38 am  · 
 · 
e909
HOW TO MAKE A MAN HAPPY:
1 . Leave him in peace*

after

he orgasms.

Jan 15, 06 5:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: