Archinect
anchor

Living in Downtown Denver ...

quizzical

i'm in the process of interviewing for a job located in downtown denver ... could any of your denver folks give me a little insight into the housing possiblitiies in, or immediately around, the downtown area ? we could go high-rise condo, low-rise condo or freestanding house ... we don't have kids, so schools aren't much of an issue (other that as schools relate to property values) ... what are the good downtown living possibilities, please ?

also, if there are good neighborhoods within a very easy commute of downtown (i live 10-15 minutes from work now) those might be worth considering, also.

thanks for the help

Jan 7, 06 4:39 pm
trace™

Lodo is the easiest access, but you pay for it. How much are you looking to spend?

Rent or buy? Do you want to be able to walk to work? Which firm are you interviewing at (np if you don't want to tell)?

I can give you some names and links...

Jan 7, 06 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I e-mailed you, quizzical.

Jan 7, 06 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
I035PEP

We are living in Washington Park. We looked at LoDo, but rent was a little too high, not to mention paying for monthly parking. Washington Park is close to downtown - but we are able to have a house with a yard, and not far from the park itself.

Jan 7, 06 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

thanks for the information all ... you've given me some ideas to research

if anybody else would like to wade in with additional information, here's what we hope to accomplish:

a. it'd be great to walk to work ... my office would be downtown
b. initially, we may rent an apartment until we know the area better
c. after about a year, we'd like to purchase something
d. we've had a house (and yard) for a really long time ... our children are now in (or out) of college ... we're eager to accomplish a simpler living situation

what are the main parts of the Denver metropolitan area where the "professional and managerial" class tends to congregate ?

Jan 8, 06 11:50 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Hmmm, "professional and managerial" class....I would guess most lofts are made up of young professionals, some people looking for simplicity and proximity to downtown, and several folk who live in them for a few weeks a year. My loft is about 50% 35 or younger with some looking for a nice place without the hassles of a house.

I am located in Highlands. It's cheaper than Lodo, but a little far to walk (probably about 10 minute bike ride - not far).

Lodo - walking distance, expensive

Highlands - much cheaper, not really walking distance, although there are some areas you can walk and they are building a pedestrian bridge across the highway to expand 16th street

Golden Triangle - more urban than Highlands, less choices, older market, about same price as Highlands

Warehouse Area (not sure what it's really called) - cheaper, warehouse/industrial neighborhoods, same price as HLs and GT

Take a look here:
http://www.downtowndenver.com/housing/for-sale.htm

That's most of the lofts (although mine aren't on there - there is one unit that just went on the market, last one - 13 units total here, built on a very old church/school).

A year from now or even 6 months would probably be ideal. Foreclosures are on the rise with interest rate changes, so you might be able to get a good deal. There are also TONS of large res projects scheduled to break ground soon. I honestly can't imagine the market can absorb all of them, but we'll see.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Jan 8, 06 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

trace ... thanks for the additional information ... very useful ...

i am, shall we say, "mature" ... my spouse and I really don't want to continue the hassle of a house and lawn, but do recognize that many of the new urbanites tend to be thirty-somethings ... we'd love the conveniece of Lodo and the typical price there is consistent with the value of our current home, but we wouldn't want to feel out-of-place

i tend to agree that the r.e. bubble in denver is on the verge of doing something funny ... not paranoid about it, but feel that renting for a year would be money well spent.

Jan 8, 06 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yeah, it's difficult to tell, but I am sure the investors and developers putting up the numerous $35 mil res buildlings would argue it's all rosie.

I know in my building there is a great diversity. I don't honestly know about the Lodo lofts, but it'd be worth making a few phone calls. I can say that the Prospect Place area's apartments are filled with younguns (I lived in The Metro - a huge apt. complex next to Coors field). It can be noisy. The lofts are grouped together, so it may not be an issue. Traffic, though, when their's a game, is crazy around there.
But I did love being close to the park. That's about the only thing I like more than where I am. I've got a great view of downtown, probably about 50% more sq. ft. for the same price, and, best of all, the design is excellent - much better than most in Denver.

There are several things in the works that are less publicized. Smaller loft/condo projects, that, personally, I like a lot more than the stacked condo/apt. type lofts (mine is 2 floors, very rare elsewhere).

You never can tell about the market. The projections for the economy are great for '06 (I think), but someone always gets caught in the slowdown.

let me know if I can be of any help. I work with a few developers around here, so I might be able to help with suggestions when you get closer to purchasing. You may consider renting a loft (I saw a nice one for about $1250 in Prospect Place a few months ago) in Lodo to see what it's like. There are still tons of projects planned - everywhere - so if you are patient, you can probably get a preconstruction price.

Jan 8, 06 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

When you are ready to buy, my cousin is a realtor, she's been here for several years. I e-mailed you her webpage link.

Wash Park is nice, but no way you can walk to downtown unless you really like to walk. Bike it - yes.

I live in Capital Hill and bike to Lodo every day, to near Coors Field, it is about 2.5 miles.

I'd say the another major demographic group of the loft style living are the empty nesters, so you wouldn't be out of place in Lodo or downtown. But since I just moved here, I am still new to the neighborhoods myself.... so I won't be giving too much advice here.

What I do know is I like Capital Hill, it is the most diverse neighborhood in terms of range of income, age groups, and lifestyle. The houses are old and big on smaller lots. I am very close to all types of shopping, restuarants, services and entertainment. Parts of Capital Hill are within walking distance to parts of downtown.

Renting in Denver is quite affordable, doing that for a year might be the right answer. Renting prices are even DOWN from a year ago.

Perhaps us archinectors can meet you and your wife for coffee if you have time while you are here? trace? wildlobo (where are you?)? IO35? What do you think?

Jan 9, 06 9:53 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

thanks folks ... this all is very, very helpful.

for reasons i can't explain here, i need to be quite circumspect about my situation in this setting

perhaps, if this situation evolves in a positive manner, some of us can meet later when the confidentiality issues aren't quite so sensitive

this place is starting to feel like a real community ....

Jan 9, 06 11:19 am  · 
 · 
archaalto

I second everything that has been said so far.

Capital Hill is diverse & could be considered the base pricing for what you may want. The free mall ride starts at Civic Center & runs all the way to LoDo, so any walk from that neighborhood could be shorter.
I lived near Wash park for a year & was able to bike on the Cherry Creek path for 8 months of the year, & on warm days in the winter. Currently I live just across I-25 in the highlands, & the walk to Lodo is about 15 minutes. They are building a pedestrian bridge to span the highway to be completed next summer/autumn, so access to the highlands will be even easier. Look here

Good luck.

Jan 9, 06 11:36 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I'd love to meet up for coffee sometime.

How many Denver folks are there on here?

Jan 9, 06 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I'm only about 200 miles away, and I have a friend in Boulder I could stand to visit.....

Jan 9, 06 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i came across this site this morning - quite a database.

Jan 12, 06 9:05 am  · 
 · 
archaalto

The renderings of the old Denver Justice Center study are there.

I'm published! I'm somebody! WOO-HOO!

Jan 12, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

I grew up near Denver and think it’s a great place to live. I’ve been trying to get my mom to move more into town, get some culture, and stop driving all the time. I still can’t figure out how to post images but we looked at places in the one nice, old-school modernist tower building with the blue and white curtain wall facade that is right on the river (and bike path) kind of between downtown and Cherry Creek (my childhood dream of modernism). The units were pretty cheap (I’m in New York so I was floored but Mom is cautious). Also there is the part of Capitol Hill that is getting fixed up (Capitol Hill: ritzy on top ghetto on the bottom) where you can get nice, older apartments for cheap. I don’t know about the LODO loft scene (Denver yuppies are a different breed than I’m used to) but I’ve heard that people haven’t been making as much money on them as hoped (because everyone wants to live out by the new airport where the market is going nuts? Go figure). Being near Lormer street would be nice though.

It’s a pretty cool place, big enough to have a lot of things and to function as the culturial capitol of the middle of nowhere (people talk about going to Chicago like New Yorkers talk about popping down to Philly) but still cheap and comfortable. Unlike a lot of towns that size it wasn’t ever a big industrial center so the rust-belt thing didn’t happen. I’d move back in a minute if …

Anyway, have fun.

Jan 12, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

u look just like a commie
and you might just be a member
get outta denver baby
get outta denver yowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Jan 12, 06 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

you folks are being a great help ... thanks a ton !

Jan 12, 06 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Cite your source Vado.

Is Denver know for it’s commies?

I was raised by commies in a Denver suburb but I just assumed my childhood was weird. Is everyone else back there getting together with their neighbors at Christmas every year to drink eggnog with contraband Cuban rum and watch ”Reds” too?

Jan 12, 06 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the source is for the forum rat to know
and for you to find out...

i'll give you a hint- bob seger

Jan 12, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Ahhh 60 degrees and sunny.... again?

Jan 13, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

yeah ... but the forecast low for monday is 9 degrees !

Jan 13, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
DenverInfill

Here's a quick rundown of the downtown-area neighborhoods:

Downtown proper: limited housing, but a bunch of high-rises are proposed. currently available are mostly conversions - old office buildings converted to condos/apts.

LoDo: pricey, but very trendy. historic conversions/lofts. lots of character. mostly for-sale units $400 sf +

Central Platte Valley: even pricier and uber-hip. all new construction neo-lofts. good mix of apts. and condos. lots under construction. $400/sf +.

Ballpark: historic-warehouse conversions, lots of new construction. industrial vibe quickly going upscale

Golden Triangle: near the art/cultural district. new construction mostly mid-rises. mostly condos but new apts. construction happening.

Curtis Park/Five Points: oldest historic neighborhood. victorian/single-family homes. lots of renovations. quaint. infill mostly townhomes and smaller-scale condos.

Highland: nice historic. not as expensive as LoDo but still sort of pricey $350/sf. Nice mix of SF dwellings and condos and apts. New construction mostly 3-4 story stacked flats/mixed use.

Jefferson Park. ethnic neighborhood finally being "discovered" just south of Highland - getting yuppified. New construction starting up. Condos in the $300/sf range. The next new "hot" downtown neighborhood. Awesome skyline views.

Capitol Hill: Most intense/urban neighborhood. Extremely mixed--super eclectic population. Edgy/slightly-gritty but starting to go upscale. Lots of 1960s-1970s high-rises and Victorian mansion conversions.

Light rail/mall shuttle makes whole downtown area accessible by foot. walkable neighborhoods. Not quite a "don't need a car" environment, but getting close.

That's a quick rundown. Hope that helps. Good luck! www.DenverInfill.com

Jan 14, 06 1:59 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Those prices are higher than what things have been going for in the last year. I believe Lodo is about $350 sq/ft, Highlands about $250

Jan 14, 06 8:37 am  · 
 · 
DenverInfill

yeah, although I was thinking mostly about the new construction which is still typically in the upper $300s or higher

oh, forgot about Uptown: mix of historic rowhouses/victorian mansions with new apartments (big Post Properties project) and many new infill condo projects. Relatively reasonabe prices considering the location.

Jan 14, 06 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

you guys continue to deliver high-quality information ... thanks a million

Jan 14, 06 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yeah, I was too. I don't know where the link I had is hiding, but there is a map with $$ for areas. I paid much less than $300 for new construction.

Jan 14, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

spent the last three days in denver interviewing and looking around town ... what a great place to live and work !

thank you all for the tons of great information you provided earlier ... it really made the visit much more focused and useful

Jan 22, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
ElTomas

im thinking of doin gmy Masters at UC Denver... does anyone have any comments on the program? anything would be useful.. thanks all... sounds like denver is booming in architecture... anyone have any links they can post on here for some good firms in town?

Jan 26, 06 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
mimo

ElTomas,

Here are random links to Denver firms that I thought of off the top of my head, some are better than others...also check out the AIA colorado Website for more firm info.

http://www.amdarchitects.com
http://www.ar7.com/
http://www.burkettdesign.com/
http://www.jgjohnson.com/home.cfm
http://www.klipparch.com
http://www.rothsheppard.com/
http://ozarch.com/
http://www.davispartner.com/
http://www.fentressbradburn.com/
http://www.dota.com/

Jan 26, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
archaalto

And more:
http://www.rnldesign.com/

http://www.rnldesign.com/

Jan 26, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
archaalto

Oops
here's the other one:
http://www.gensler.com/

Jan 26, 06 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

Moving to the area this summer, can anyone familiar with the area please update this thread.. thx

May 13, 09 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
solidsnake

Spyder, Email me with some specific questions and I could probably help you out as I used to live downtown for 3 years.

May 21, 09 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: