Archinect
anchor

video in portfolio or not???

ScottMSchultz

So i took a class called film and architecture and made a short for the class. It pertains to architecture. Should i put it in my portfolio? would someone even take the time to look at it? I think it would be kinda cool to have a cd or dvd in the back... what do you think?

Jan 6, 06 10:49 pm
badass japanese cookie

most places don't accept dvds or cds. do what i did and take cool, grainy stills and lay it out in an evocative way.

i make a lot of videos so this is what i did. god i can't believe i'm posting on a friday night. i'm out.

Jan 6, 06 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

a classmate made cds and a website along withe his paper portfolio, bout 5 years ago when looking for work. he did a very good job and got a very good job in london working for a starchitect...but he later told me no one he applied to took the time to look at anything that required machinery so it was a waste of time.

that was 5 years ago though and things are different now..?

i can say that a friend with his own office in london recently hired a feller from the states based in large part on his on-line portfolio. showing video in that format may work better...at least for the real faraway offices you think of applying to.

personally, i probs wouldn't chuck the dvd into my drive, but might look online if it is easy enough...

Jan 7, 06 12:21 am  · 
 · 
e909
i can say that a friend with his own office in london recently hired a feller from the states based in large part on his on-line portfolio.

i created much of a website, but people here convinced me that it was useless, and to send a single smallish pdf (or paper). and when i call employers, they give me the same views.

maybe the difficulty is in finding employers who want to see a fabulous portfolio??

Jan 15, 06 4:33 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

Listen to lateral. I had a Super-8 film that I had put onto DVD, which I then took stills of. The stills look great, especially because of the film grain, and I put four of the stills in my portfolio along with a short description.

Jan 15, 06 5:20 am  · 
 · 
momentum

i have had my cd with my animation work looked at twice in the many places i applied after school, and while some may say 2 out of 100 is horrible statistically, each time it was with a place i really wanted to be at the time.

if a place says don't send digital material, put some stills in your portfolio. if they say they aren't going to look at it, odds are they will not look at it, and you face the chance they will not look at the rest of it because you ignored there request for no digital media (just one more thing they have to file or waste.)

Jan 16, 06 9:01 am  · 
 · 
momentum

basically, don't be AOL.

Jan 16, 06 9:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: