Archinect
anchor

Have you ever taken a leave of absence while in school or know someone who has? Share the experience.

ANewView

I ask this question because I am currently in the process of taking a leave of absence for personal reasons and I hate the idea of leaving architecture school. It's killing me inside. I know I'll return but I guess the journey away from school is both scary and exhilirating. I just wanted to hear some stories from others who may have taken some of the same steps. Hope to hear from you soon.

Jan 5, 06 10:01 am
ichweiB

Well. I know where I go, a girl took a leave of absence because she had a baby. Another girl left because she had cancer. In both cases, they were able to return and do fine. Obviously, they had to pick up where they left off, but other than that I heard they were fine.

Jan 5, 06 10:29 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yes, New View, I took a year off during grad school, worked in a firm, learned a lot, and came back to finish the degree with far more energy and drive than I would have had if I stayed straight through. I can tell you more later, on a deadline right now, but just wanted to get out there that yes, it's possible and could even be a good move.

Jan 5, 06 10:39 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

when i was in undergrad there was a student a year or two behind me who was pushing himself very hard (trying to get through the four year program in three years or something like that) he was in a couple of my classes and was always working late hours and doing pretty nice stuff. near the end of the semester when a couple of big deadlines for two different classes hit on consecutive days he failed to show up in the morning and later missed the afternoon review. i hadn't thought much about it first but maybe a week later he still hadn't turned up.

maybe he was ill or was at a family funeral or whatever, right? except at the beginning of the next class session a private investigator working for the university showed up. the funny thing is that the p.i. looked like he was straight out of columbo, trench coat and everything. everybody in the class, including the instructor, was borderline thinking it was somekind of joke (this was in the spring near april fool's day after all). but it wasn't prank. turns out the student was pushing himself too hard and split town to go take a break...he just didn't bother to tell anybody this. not even his parents, hence the investigator.

anyhow, he made his way back onto to campus next fall. i think he had to retake the classes that he skipped out on but i believe he was doing quite well. last i heard he had moved on to one of the fancy ivy league schools for graduate work.

moral of the story is "do what you gotta do to take care of yourself"

Jan 5, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Emerson123

I know two people that took time off. One girl took off a semester when her mother passed away, and that was during undergrad. She came back the next semester and graduated. The other person was in grad school and he took a semester off to unwind, and returned this semester. I don't think he worked during his hiatus. But yes, it is definately possible.

Jan 5, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

I took a year off myself. I didn't take a leave of abscence because it would have meant leaving the country, giving up health care, etc. I rather wish that I hadn't had to take all that time off, but I did what I had to do, for better or worse.

Do it, get things straightened out, and get back to it. It's the best anyone of us can do, really.

Jan 5, 06 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

If you have lots of cash in your pocket....or have a good line for
scholarships....Well Look Up Dynamy, Worcester Mass. They have
a loose structured year where you can explore your very life desires.
You finish the year.....and yup your Dynamite! It is an alternative
education program which has been around since the 1960's.

Jan 5, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I took a semester off and fucked around in France for 8 months. It was absolutely wonderful, probably the single best decision of my entire life. Here's why:

I went to a tough 5-year program. Got straight B+'s ("you had an A at midsemester... this is a very strong project and you should keep on working on it... but you just didn't finish enough in time for your crit") for the first two years in studio while working my ass off (also worked part-time to help pay for life during those years). WITH one sole exception of a ridiculously rough 2nd year semester in which I had an A- at midsemester and received a D for the semester due to an incomplete final model. BAD. I was hallicuinating frequently at that point from lack of sleep. The first two years were brutal, as we all know how that can be. Anyhow, a prof who had really taken a liking to me pulled me aside and said that while he didn't agree with the grade, he thought I was pushing myself too hard and needed to take a break, and recommended taking a year off to relax. At the time I thought, "NO WAY, if I stop now I will lose momentum and I will NEVER be able to finish. Not to mention not being in studio with all my studiomates..." It was inconceivable to me. The summer after that semester was brutal. I remember that I cried at various points simply from the thought of having to return to school again. I told my horrified parents that if I still felt like that the morning of my return flight to school I simply wouldn't get on the plane. Well, I woke up and decided to go to school. It did definitely get a lot better and my third year was great.

Well, during that year I decided to study abroad, only not to study architecture. I worked extra, did a summer studio on campus, and took a leave of absence the second semester of my fourth year and headed off to Paris. I took a couple classes while there at a french universitry (middle east history and contemporary french politics) and mostly just sat at cafes with my friends. I did NOTHING architectural the ENTIRE time. I did not visit anything. I did not sketch any buildings. I did not know a single person in architecture in the city. I did not talk about it. I refused to think about it.

Came back (siiigh) to school and got A's with no effort.

I really, really DID need a break after all. That was all it took... some relaxation, some distance and perspective, and I swear I came back to you, and I sat at my studio desk, and suddenly for the first time I looked at blank trace and just KNEW what to draw. It just came from inside me. I guess somehow, without even thinking about it at all, I had subconciously formed my inner stylistic voice or something while away; I mean, I just knew what *I* wanted to do. I didn't have to have a concept, or a reason. I just knew it and it came out of me and through my pencil and onto the paper. And it was much, much better than it had been. I didn't feel the need to justify everything with a reason. Suddenly I found I had the confidence to just say, "this looks good. I did this because it looked good and that's all." And I KNEW it looked good. And to my amazement, teachers agreed!

So at the end, taking time off was the best thing I ever did in school.

I did do it, however, in such a way that I could stay with my studiomates--the reason for that is that we had an amazing group in there and I learned so much from them as supplemental teachers that I didn't want to give it up. Had I been with a group that wasn't so great (some years work well together and are mutually symbiotic, some simply aren't) I probably would have just taken the time off without working through classes in advance.

So I hope that helps your decision.

Jan 5, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I don't think I attempted to get credit for those french classes--can't remember now--I know it would have taken some effort and wouldn't have contributed to my degree... I don't remember. I took those classes because I have always wanted to know about middle east and french politics, nothing more. Anyway.

Jan 5, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you all should take some time off...

Jan 5, 06 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

"...I think of Dean Moriarty.
I even think of old Dean Moriarty, the father we never found.
I THINK,
of Dean
MOR-I-AR-TY..."

Jan 5, 06 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
architorturealist

i took a four year leave of absence...worked, found my sanity and went back, done and just opened up my own joint...so do what you need to to be right with yourself and it all happen. and don't worry, if you love this profession you finish

Jan 5, 06 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I took a semester off at one point as an undergrad. My school only allowed us to apply for 1 semester's leave, but it could be extended later by one more semester. If we took any more than 1 year off then we were considered to have left permanently and would have been required to reapply.

It was very common in my undergrad program for people to take leaves of absence, but very unusual in my grad program - so I guess I'd consider whether this is seen as a common, reasonable thing to do at your school or whether - as in my grad program - it is frowned upon unless there are desperate circumstances.

My time off didn't have any notable consequences in my academic progress. But it did mean that I left the group of classmates that I'd been with for a few years and knew so well, and ended up joining a new bunch of classmates as somewhat of an "outsider" to their already-formed dynamic. It was a little sad to see "my" class graduate without me. That was probably the biggest lasting consequence.

Jan 5, 06 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
oldirty

"but very unusual in my grad program - so I guess I'd consider whether this is seen as a common, reasonable thing to do at your school or whether - as in my grad program - it is frowned upon unless there are desperate circumstances."

Whatever...it shouldn't matter if it's frowned upon or if it's "desperate circumstances" If you need to do it, then take the time off.

I always felt this pressure to just keep going, don't take time off, blah, blah, blah, and I feared not coming back if I took some time off. I literally had the same issue with crying as I got on the plane to come back to school. I *really* wish I had taken time off for my health-I think it would have made the difference between me looking back on school fondly and proudly and the way I look at it now.

Jan 5, 06 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I guess what I was getting at but didn't fully explain was: in my grad program this was done very infrequently, and the school seemed to assume that most people who applied for leaves of absence were not actually going to end up returning. The consequences on the people who did return seemed to be that they were sort of derailed in their progress to some extent. For instance, because of the way the program's studio lottery system worked it was almost a guarantee that someone who had been gone in the previous semester would end up with the last-choice studio professor when they got back. Also these people usually couldn't get TA-ships or teaching fellowships in the semester in which they returned. Lastly, it seemed as if those folks were pretty much out of the running for any awards and traveling fellowships awarded at graduation, because they didn't seem to be considered to be fully part of the class in which they were graduating.
So, I feel it would be worth investigating these circumstances in your own program before taking the step. Of course what you do is your own business and nobody is going to stop you from taking time off. But if you do attend a program that seems to have any bias against this, AND if the leave time is not because of something like a health issue, then you MIGHT want to weight the repercussions before making a decision.

Jan 5, 06 11:01 pm  · 
 · 

took 2 and a half years off in undergrad, the first year on purpose, painting and bumming round japan; the other year and a half cuz of a family crisis.

when i went back i was a much better student and did very well, better i am sure than if i hadn't taken the break. life can be a better education than reglar school in many ways.

btw, i was not penalised in any way for the prolonged absence.

Jan 6, 06 7:49 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Wow. If the atmosphere at your school is anything like what formerlyunknown describes, don't just take a leave of absence, transfer the fuck out of there.

Damn. What a poisonous environment.

Jan 6, 06 9:02 am  · 
 · 
SmartOne

Actually, the graduate director encouraged me to take the leave after our conversation. They are actually very supportive. My problem is pretty much with myself. The idea of leaving school after making such a transition. Not planning well before attempting graduate school in a "foreign" land. Not properly handling my health concerns because of my stubborness to work, work, work and not think about anything else (or just avoid them) only to let things (everything) get out of hand...and all for a dream. I thought, "it's worth it...". But if I'm not physically capable to do anything in the end or suffer like my dad has ( we have similar conditions...I'm not even at that point)...is it really worth it? It just bothers me that to have waited so long for this, I have to let it go. I keep looking at the bright side...I can go back and work in my previous field since I only worked a year after undergrad and actually have an adequate savings. I can get truly get settled on my own. I can truly get my "house" in order and finally meet my goals. We''ll just have to see.
Libertybell: looking forward to reading the rest of your story.
Snooker: isn't Dynamy for high school seniors
Myriam: I agree. No one should live based on another's perception of oneself no matter the consequences.
Thanks all so far for the encouraging words.

Jan 6, 06 9:55 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Excellent. I hope you get better and feel relaxed. It's probably a very good decision (not knowing the specifics of your case). I think more than a year between undergrad and grad is almost necessary anyhow--perhaps you rushed things a bit too much for your health. I promise, even without knowing you, that when you return to school you will find yourself MUCH better for the absence.

Remember, the point of all this is your life. Not a degree, but your life. How do you want your life to be? Are you as a person suffering too much for your goal of a degree? It won't be worth it if it is ruining your life.

Often I regret not taking time off after my second year when it was recommended. I am positive I would have learned more in school had I taken a break earlier--it helped so much when I finally did it.

Jan 6, 06 10:03 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sorry I've been busy and not responded further. My story isn't all that fascinating. Basically after 5 years of undergrad and directly into 3 of grad (I did UMich's program for 2 years then switched to Cranbrook) I was burned out. At the end of my first year at Cranbrook we were supposed to have a course of study figured out for our final year, a thesis project, and I just couldn't come up with one, I had no passion for it anymore. And I was flat-out broke and tired of being so, and I was in the midst of breaking up one romantic entanglement and starting another, and the break-up meant I had nowhere to live. So, I bailed out on school, went back home and worked for a year.

The best thing about a year of working in a firm was it made me hyper-aware of what a luxury being in school is. Just being able to wake up and go to studio in the morning, or in the afternoon if that's how the mood struck me, just to be on my own schedule and ponder things and follow ideas that might or might not be fruitful, academia is an incredible luxury and should not be squandered. Taking a year off meant that my final year was very well-spent. Which is good because by taking a break I lost my TA position and a small scholarship, so my final year cost me twice what it should have!

The hardest part about going back was giving up a steady paycheck. But the trade-off of having a student schedule again was worth it! And I felt I accomplished so much more in that final year because I knew what I was facing in terms of work/schedule/rent etc. upon graduation.

But also the whole year I was off I also had this tickle in the back of my mind that I had started something and not finished it. I knew I would go back, as you seem to ANewView. Try to take advantage of the time off to make some money, explore some non-architecture interests, develop personal relationahips. Then go back and finish school in a blaze of work-focus-intesity-glory that you know will only last for one more year. I think anyone can live under any conditions knowing that it is only for a year (or two) - the time limit makes circumstances bearable. Good luck and make sure you stay on archinect to keep you archi-savvy!

Jan 8, 06 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

I never did this, but actually knew a lot of people who did. My school had several study abroad programs, and one of them occured over the summer. So most of the people who studied abroad that summer, either took the following semester off and just staid abroad for an extra three months, or took the next spring off and worked from January to August before coming back for the next year. They all seemed to really enjoy the opportunity.

Then I know one other person who's currently taking a year off to sort out personal stuff. Archischool never seemed to come very easily to her, and she's got some stuff in the rest of her life (you know, the bit that happens outside of studio?) to sort out. This sounds a little bit more like you, ANewView. I can tell that it's hard for her, but if that's what she needs to do, it's better for her to go and do it now, then to try to struggle through things all at once and not do either as well as she could.

Jan 9, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 

And if this is you (I know you come here sometimes), and you're reading this, we all miss you very much!

Jan 9, 06 11:49 am  · 
 · 
archaalto

Not a school absence, but a guy in my firm (28 years old) took a leave of absence with his wife for six months to Costa Rica & South America. They did some Habitiat for Humanity stuff & dug ditches to make reed bed water systems for small villages. Got to visit Macchu Picchu & hike through the Andes. Caught malaria, food poisoning twice, & made it back with some great pictures.

Jan 9, 06 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: