Archinect
anchor

Has anyone read Platform?

JohnProlly

Michel Houellebecq's newest work [He also wrote The Elementary Particles, a book introduced to me by my Sci-Arc buddie] - Aside from a slight departure from obscure literary compostion, as found in his earlier works, this book is a really good read.

A movie is in the future as well!

Thoughts?

Jan 4, 06 11:23 am
French

It's been awhile since this one came out here, but I guess it's the one about hollyday resorts and all that. A good one indeed. I haven't read the last one which everybody is talking about, "la possibilité d'une ile" but just the title is already inspiring.
Have you read his other books? Les particules élémentaires was better I think, more sci fi than this one. And his essay about Lovercraft was a great read too.

Jan 4, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 

i read 'possibility of an island' in about 3 days, i thought it was up to the standard of Atomised. Platform i wasnt so impressed. interestingly, Island's release date in the US isnt til may 2006 while in europe it was out late last year. why? and back in 2001 after i had finsihed Atomised no Houellebecq could be found on amazon.com, amazon.co.uk had all of his books...hmmm

Jan 4, 06 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
c

la possibilite d'une ile isn't out in the states yet i don't think - Did read Platform & les particules, i am a fan of his work, which i find mostly underappreciated/ unknown in the US- though give them a few years, and the american audience will 'discover' him, and fawn..... a nihilistic bastard it seems , but a v. good writer. funny stuff about his scandalously beligerant and insulting interviews.

Jan 4, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

I read The Elementary Particles over the weekend. I give Houellebecq credit; not until the epilogue did I realize that the whole thing is a comedy. And guess who the joke's on.

Jan 23, 06 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
madturtle

He's my favourite, Prefer Platform over Atomized though. Crazy motherfucker.

Jan 23, 06 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

I just got an email notice from the circulation desk at Paley Library and someone else requested Platform, thus I have to return the book by 15 March. I'm just over half done reading Platform, and so far I'm enjoying it a bit more than The Elementary Particles.

I like how the real estate cliche "location, location, location" is expanded in the travel industry to "packaging, packaging, packaging."

Maybe that's the same metaphor/cliche for "star" architecture these days.

"In the future, everything will be an advertisement."
--Rita Novel

"So what then is architecture? Is it a hard, 'simple', 'natural' protective shell that enenders the continuation of life? Or is it a soft formlessness forever redesigning an applied shell it doesn't naturally have."
--QBVS1, p. 148.

Mar 3, 06 11:48 am  · 
 · 
doberman

i read platform and atomized (elementary particles?) and really liked them. it was a sad period in my life at the time and for some reason both books struck a sensitive chord. I'm wondering if i would have liked them in a different context. i don't like the real life character but it's made me want to read more of his stuff.

Mar 3, 06 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

i never realized the guy was so popular outside french circles by the way.

Mar 3, 06 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: