Archinect
anchor

Christian Norberg-Schulz

sumatra

I was browsing several sites of US universities (I graduated from an European university) and I didn't see anywhere the name of Norberg-Schulz in the recommended readings sections? When I think of it, it turns out that few of his books are translated in English (the ones that i have are in French). While I was studying (which was not long time ago) his works were mandatory and we considered him as very important. Is it different in US?

Jan 4, 06 8:00 am
rebelliousz_poet

i came across him while i was studying in rome for a semester... not once was he ever mentioned at my school... but i did attend a lecture where he was mentioned at cooper union... i just can't help but think about public spaces in the us vs. europe... ahh gotta go...

Jan 4, 06 9:22 am  · 
 · 
jcboley

I was in grad school at UIC in Chicago at the height of the postmodern/deconstruction phase. CN-S was dismissed by some as old-fashioned, 'structuralist' thought, modern and scientific, and therefore prejudiced. i found reading 'Meaning in Western Architecture' a revelation. CN-S connected architecture and meaning with culture, place, and time, and gave me a context for seeing and understanding architecture that I use in design and teaching every day.

I've seen MIWA and Intentions in Architecture translated into English. There may be more.

Jan 4, 06 9:59 am  · 
 · 
evangelicalbunny

Dear Friends,

Christian Norberg-Schulz has passed away. About five years ago, I think.

With Love!

eb

Jan 4, 06 10:09 am  · 
 · 
frenchcurls

'the already classic failure of C. Norberg-Schulz's Intentions in Architecture and other applications of linguistics to architectural theory over the past 10 years reveal a passion for structural rules and their limitations. In terms of architecture, structuralism has consciously rejected the importance of the transcendental dimension, thereby denying the importance of the historical horizon of meaning.' Alberto Pérez-Gomez, Architecture and the Crisis of Modern Science

Jan 4, 06 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Well he's not all that mysterious. We explored his work during my illustrious education... I've since bought a book of his collected essays. Seems to me a friend attending Yale sent me one of his Norberg-Schulz books back then... So that's a couple schools under his influence, anyway.

Jan 4, 06 11:21 am  · 
 · 
adso
Meaning in Western Architecture

was on the reading list for incoming grad students at SCI-Arc a few years back.

Jan 4, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 

Genius Loci changed my life.

Seriously, I was in my first year of architorture and I read Genius Loci, it singlehandedly made me want to stay in. His description of the different landscapes are some of the most interesting reading I have ever done.
And in my school (UF) we read a lot of his works.

Jan 4, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 

But I dont own a copy, It is costly on Ebay, if any archinecter wants to rid him or her self of a copy, Im here.

Jan 4, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 
sumatra

Yeah, Genius Loci is a must-read for every architect, He continues that theme in L'Art du Lieu

Jan 4, 06 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

I just finished my first semester of grad school at the University of Houston. We read alot of Christian Norberg-Schulz. As just mentioned, Genius Loci to name one.

Jan 4, 06 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

how can anybody miss him? he's in all those tedious architectural theory readers along with whatzisface and whoosis.

Jan 4, 06 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jan 4, 06 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

Is Genius Loci the essay where he used Alvar Aalto's town hall as an example towards the end ?

Jan 5, 06 12:12 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Are you thinking of Frampton's Critical Regionalism essay?

Jan 5, 06 12:40 am  · 
 · 
sumatra

Nope, towards the end he discusses Alto's MIT dormitory, Le Corbusier, Pietila and Louis Kahn

Jan 5, 06 3:59 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

I'll fourth Genius Loci. It was instrumental in forming my current position and passion in architecture. A lot of it points back to Heidegger's thoughts on the origin of art and the Riss between Earth and World if you're interested in similar thoughts on architecture. I recommend reading Poetry, Language, Thought...a collection of Heidegger's later works on art and place.

Jan 5, 06 4:42 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

Yeah. I guess I was thinking of Frampton-whoops!

Jan 6, 06 1:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: