Archinect
anchor

ski jumping

BLK

hello!

i am doing my diploma project and mi theme is a ski-jumping track and all the auxiliarry functions around it, but exept for 2 exemples(hadid and a german) one i haven't find anithing.

anybody knows any exemple about wintersports accomodations or some related to my project?

thanks!

Jan 4, 06 6:09 am
le bossman

i don't know that you will find many examples of great architecture in the world of winter sports. everything tends to be themed. in the 60's there was this chalet thing going on, now there's this lodge thing going on. this is the suicide hill ski jump in ishpeming, michigan.

Jan 4, 06 8:53 am  · 
 · 
French

Charlotte Perriand designed a housing project for a skiing station in France, but I don't know where exactly...

Jan 4, 06 8:58 am  · 
 · 
cayne1

There's a jump in Steamboat, Colorado, Lake Placid, NY and they put one in Utah for the last Olympics...really anywhere the winter Olympics have been. Try the offficial Olympics website, it may lead to contacts. The Turin Winter Games are in about a month and a half, I'm sure each country's ski team has media contacts in full swing. I'd try to contact someone there, the ski jumping community is pretty small, but I'm sure you'll find someone willing to give some first hand input.

Jan 4, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Actually the lack of "architectural" precedents should prove to be an exciting project. Just think. You don't have to worry about what others have done before. Clean slate. Come up with your own ideas!

Jan 4, 06 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

if you are talking ski-jumping, then you have to include holmenkollen in oslo

here's a couple of quick links i found ( 1 and 2) on google. i'd also try researching the winter olympics since ski-jumping has been one of its prime sports for many years and organizers often hire top architects for the facilities.

i can only begin to imagine how drunk those norwegians must have been when they invented ski-jumping a couple of hundred years ago...yikes

Jan 4, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Calgary Olympic Park, Calgary, Alberta
Thunder Bay Jumps, Thunder Bay, Ontatio

Jan 4, 06 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
norm

i jumped for my high school ski team - i hate to admit how long ago that was - but jumping kicks a**.

architecturally - make it what it has to be - then make it cool.

Jan 4, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
e

zaha >>

Jan 4, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
mm

The ski jumps at Lake Placid look a bit awkward.

Jan 5, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the thrill of victory...

Jan 5, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
BLK

thanks

Jan 6, 06 11:34 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Beauty Vado.. I grew up watching that exact scene every Sat. afternoon at 4:00 pm was very interested to watch one day when they actually interviewed the guy who had crashed, didn't even know he was a folk hero of sorts.

Jan 6, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: