Archinect
anchor

How to write a cover letter after a lay-off?

praygreg

In short, I was recently laid off / discharged / let-go from a firm I had worked for for the past year.  In part, the decision to let me go was based on the firm's financial circumstances - the other part was based on my inexperience.  This was my first job out of graduate school and I had a tendency to make rookie errors.  I'm an open book - I'm more than capable and beyond dedicated...just had a few lessons still to learn.

It was a wonderful working environment and due to the fact that it was so tight-knit, I learned a lot in a year.  I am anxiously ready to get back into the design market and expect to approach my next opportunity with new eyes and learn from my past experiences.  The only question is - how do I broach the subject (or do i?) on a cover letter?

Does anyone in the professional world (maybe an employer's perspective?) have any advice on how to compose a proper cover letter for my new job search?

- Do I mention I was laid off in the cover letter or do I save it solely for the interview?

-To any employers, does a year's work at a firm look odd?  Is there anything that they made be assumed from that?

I'm conflicted about my course of action.  I want to do this right.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Dec 13, 11 8:06 am
drums please, Fab?

- Do I mention I was laid off in the cover letter or do I save it solely for the interview?

save it for the interview - your cover letter just says that you want to apply for the job, it's not to explain all the financial problems your former employer had.

were your 'rookie errors' sort of understandable or were they big screw-ups that blew the job and/or caused (in part) the firm's financial troubles?

-To any employers, does a year's work at a firm look odd?  Is there anything that they made be assumed from that?

no - a lot of people just out of school work for several firms for 1-2 years at a time before finding a good fit.  i think everyone understands that workers get let go all the time in today's economy.

Dec 13, 11 10:56 am  · 
 · 

I think most will just assume you were layed off. No need to mention it in the cover letter.

Dec 13, 11 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

You don't even need to bring up the layoff in the interview, though it will likely be raised by the interviewer.

Many, many people are in the very same boat these days.  Do not feel unusual or freakish about your situation.  And good luck!

Dec 13, 11 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

"To any employers, does a year's work at a firm look odd?" 

Generally speaking, no.

One year gigs -- especially in this economy -- are not at all unusual. What tends to give a potential employer heartburn is a candidate with ten years of experience, gained at ten different firms. That sort of thing indicates a pattern and raises lots of red flags.

However, I would never get terribly troubled by someone right out of school having one 1-year job, especially if the candidate can show some decent work product, can honestly explain that the departure was due to the firm's lack-of-work, and could provide a good reference or so from the firm.

That last criteria is quite important.

Dec 13, 11 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: