Archinect
anchor

Do you need an architect's license to do a "conversion" project in Brooklyn

nonarchitect

I am planning to do some major renovation to a pre-war building in Brooklyn. does anyone know if this kind of project needs to be approved by the city ?

Jan 3, 06 11:40 am
Living in Gin

Define "major renovation."

My gut reaction is that you'll need a permit.

Jan 3, 06 11:46 am  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

It involves tearing out the floor boards, and replacing a structural column.

Jan 3, 06 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

In that case you'll most certainly need a permit, stamped drawings from a registered architect, and probably stamped drawings from a structural engineer as well.

Jan 3, 06 11:52 am  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

I already have all the plans drawn up, Can I just go to an architect and have him/her stamp it for a fee ?

Jan 3, 06 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
ice9

i wouldn't run to the city. do you own the building? what kind of building is it? do you have a contractor? what neighborhood in brooklyn are we talking about? my suggestion, if your not interested in an architect for design services, is to find a contractor who has done work in your neighborhood/building. he/she will know what you can get away with. generally, if you don't need any building-wide system shut-offs, you may be able to go without a permit.

alternately, look for an expeditor who is also a registered architect. most architects in new york use expeditors anyway, so you'll be saving a fee.

if the column your replacing is really structural, then to properly file it you'll need an engineer's drawings. my guess is that a crafty expeditor would advise you to omit the structural work from your filing drawings.

Jan 3, 06 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

thanks ice9, I bought the building and have started talking to a structural engineer. I am an architect/designer ( not yet licensed ) and am planning to renovate the buidling based on my own design. the building is in Williamsburg..

Jan 3, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
ice9

so is it a private residence or will you rent out units? if your planning to rent out parts of the building or install permanent partitions that will change the occupancy classification, you should file it (although williamsburgh is full of illegally occupied lofts conversions). but if its a private residence and your only putting up partitions/finishes and maybe some plumbing piped off of existing roughings, you may be ok. again, i would get a contractor in to look at the work first. if your not going to file the job, then your structural engineer isn't much worth to you. an experienced contractor will be able to do the work on the fly.

Jan 3, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: