Archinect
anchor

Cutting sections through 'Blobby' stuff

6nuew

I'm a noob to 'blobitecture'.. not very inclined to it either but I want to be able to handle blobs anyway... so how do you cut sections through deformed surfaces etc once you've modeled em in Rhino/Max? Sections that can be imported into Autocad and fleshed out..

And while we're on the topic: Is Blobitecture dead? I think Greg Lynn and Co. have lived out their fifteen minutes.. Blobjects live on though (Karim Rashid et al).

Danke

Jan 3, 06 11:33 am
momentum

i've only been able to do this one way, and it is kinda convoluted (from Max). keep in mind, i generally don't do "blobs."

whatever geometry you have in max, turn it into a single object of some kind, and then apply a slice modifier to it.

from there export the file in some sort of autocad compatible format (i can't remember which it is.)

open it up in cad/microstation, and rotate it till you get the section lined up with the view.

draw away.

Jan 3, 06 11:50 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

I dont do 'blobs' either.. this is for landscaping. Same principles.. anyone else? Rhino?

Jan 3, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 
montu

Every program sophiticated enough to define a warped surface has some way of taking a section at a discreet point

Jan 3, 06 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
cgrammens

Rhino has a built in it section. Draw a plane where you would like to cut the section. Then type section into rhino follow the prompts and you will get line work of you model. You can also use split and divide the model along the plane then use make 2D and rhino will make an orthangonal drawing based on the view.

Jan 3, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
cgrammens

Sorry for the first sentence,

should say Rhino has a built in section tool.

Jan 3, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
ret

cgrammens's way is the easiest and fastest.
Make2d and split are sometimes tricky. Specifically for split i normally keep the same splitting plane, but split the model layer by layer, as rhino tends to get confused when you try and split everything at once (esp in a complex model).

I usually render the split part of the section (and make it semi-transparent)and place the section line in front, and then add a light wireframe to the rendered image.
Voila we have sexy sections!!!

p.s: if you just want section profiles without splitting the model (to show elevation stuff) try using the CONTOUR command. You can make 100's of profiles for your blob.

Jan 3, 06 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

I make blobs by lofting curves; then you can cut sections along those original curves with the "split" function. Keep in mind that there are two ways of making blobitecture; from the sections out; or frank gehry style(where you figure out how to fit the programs in ) I find the latter inefficient, but could lead to interesting exploration on how to realize these blobs..however, being of a lazy pre-disposition, i would stick with the former...

Jan 4, 06 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
jh

i have always used formz to cut sections through 3d models. i can save the hiddenline work as a dwg and edit lineweights in AutoCAD. to save time i render the hiddenlines with color and then i can run a filter in AutoCAD to adjust the lineweight faster. make sure you run overkill in AutoCAD to get rid of some of the duplicate lines. by far the best way i have found to do section perspectives for my projects. i have also tried rhino, but like formz models better simply because it models solids without a lot of bullshit.

Jan 4, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: