Archinect
anchor

Specialized Fields

ylangylang

As a former Interior Architecture major, no degree, only four of the five years complete, I have always been conflicted with how the building profession is split between this and that. During school, surrounded mostly by Architecture and Landscape Architecture students I always found myself going, well, why aren't we studying that? For example, I noticed there were only two Interior Architecture Students enrolled in a class I took called Shaping the American City.

I understand a college cannot require a student to take ten years worth of classes and only give them one degree. As I entered into the professional field after I left school I found that these same areas along with many others felt quite separated from each other in the same sense almost. Sometimes it actually felt like there there was an underlying competition.

Then if I take it to another level and consider that most firms I've known specialize in something to make them more marketable. If their projects fell all over the spectrum then they'd hire someone to help them narrow their projects down so clients know exactly why they are coming to them.

I'd love to hear what experience everyone else has had with the companies they have worked for in the past or present. I am quite curious if it's just me and I just keep landing in the same job or if most firms are going in this direction today.

Jan 1, 06 11:58 pm
el jeffe

welcome to moderism and the specialized expert; it's everywhere. successfully runnning a non-specialized mid-sized firm is exceptionally difficult; there's the overhead that a small firm doesn't have but not the depth of capacity that a large firm has.

Jan 2, 06 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
ylangylang

My last job was very redundant... will every job become this in the future?

Also started to think about will it ever go backwards to the 'renaissance man' type of culture?

My obstacle is the 'Jack of all trades, Master of None' dilemma. Every place I work I'm always having to deal with more than one position at a time. I knew something was amiss when I was working on site plans one moment, 3d modeling the next, picking out interior finishes another, and drawing up elevations, space planning...

But, even so, it all was very redundant after a while because every project was the same type of project. I'm thinking of leaving architecture, ah but I've done that before only to return again, only to find out it was not what I remembered.

Before I accept that next job I'm a gonna think about it before I jump into it. I guess, first, it helps to apply. Another question I have, how much does a degree matter? I know for a fact it matters with larger corporate types as I've been told bluntly that they don't consider someone without a degree. Does that matter to everyone?

Jan 3, 06 2:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: