Archinect
anchor

what's your impression of...

strlt_typ

powder rooms underneath a staircase?

to me it doesn't seem "high end"...

my office is trying to design $500,000 condominiums(product to be marketed to yuppies) and my boss likes me to squeeze a powder room underneath a staircase...I have a difficult time succumbing to that...

my boss is old and un-hip

Dec 29, 05 1:27 pm
A

Ha ha, I've seen that in many of the new popular townhouse/condo developments that give people the illusion of buying a new house, only they've got three party walls.

I see it as a cheap move. There can't be enough area or head room for a very comfortable space.

Dec 29, 05 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

reminds me of a dirty gas station bathroom...

Dec 29, 05 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

It's OK for your little bungalow remodel, but not new fancy housing.

I'm cool with tiny bathrooms, but I've hit my head on the underside of the stair getting up from the pot. I hit it hard too, musta forgot I was peeing under a stair. It was only a problem if you were sitting on the potty in this case, if you could stand and pee - no problem. But we all know everyone can't stand and pee.

Dec 29, 05 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
ret

Let me correct you there strawbeary, you can hit your head standing and peeing. I know someone who did it once while trying to spit in a urinal. That damn flush handle was stickin out too much...it went like this...
pee...spit....hit head on flush....finish peeing....wash hands..see blood on head....rush to the hospital. OUCH!
I say we should ban toilets! :)

Dec 29, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Depends on the building. I've seen a really nice one that an architect put into his victorian renovation that was very in keeping with the character of the house+his design style. If it's just being squeezed into a place it shouldn't go (like in a beautiful open french winder like we have here in the rowhouses in Boston), then, ugh. Especially if they are doing it just to get money for having another "half-bathroom". I hate seeing stairs that should be open being closed-in.

Dec 30, 05 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

i saw one in a loft reno here that was nicely done. translucent risers between the pans of a steel/concrete tread stair let daylight into the powder room underneath. the stair was long enough that powder room was not shoved up tight and headroom was not an issue. the wc was on the opp side and the vanity faced the borrowed-light risers.

Dec 30, 05 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Regan Martin

Yeah that's a total spec-builder move if I ever saw one... You know what that's about: "...spacious, loft style...3bed/2-1/2 bath...good niehborhood..." and all that realty marketing drivel.

Study the scheme, find a really killer spot for the toilet and tell you're boss that the other way was disrepectful to the toilet and the stair.

Dec 30, 05 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

"reminds me of a dirty gas station bathroom..."
A gas station with a stair, no less...
Depends on the configuration of the stair. I saw one in a friends place in Santa Monica - a townhouse - where the powder room door was on grade right off the entry. The main living level was 2 feet up from grade, then the stair to the second floor returned over the powder room.
The multiple levels had everything to do with the success of that one, as there was no headroom issue. They fit alot of otherwise utilitarian features into a small footprint.

Dec 30, 05 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

steven...

do you have pictures?

Dec 30, 05 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

sorry. i only visited once. took my affordable housing studio on a tour of local projects as part of their precedent research.

it's about 1 1/2 blocks from my house, but i'm leaving tomorrow for hawaii. probably need pix before 9 january i'm guessing. if not, email me. that'll serve as a reminder when i get back. (trick is, that unit has been bought, so it involves arrangements with the owner. but this is louisville, so it's not THAT much of a trick.)

Dec 30, 05 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I'm sorry but I don't do impressions...

Dec 30, 05 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

^ur missing out

thanks steve..no worries if you don't have time...

Dec 30, 05 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
JAG

I'm a big fan of bathrooms under the stairs, but I'm short and I like small bathroom stalls. In fact, Paul probably remembers my favorite bathroom...the closest stall the hallway in the Pacific Building at the UofO Architecture department...it had all the graffiti in the grout.

I digress...because I'm short, the best thing about bathrooms under the stairs is that when you have been drinking heavily, you can lean your head in against the sloped ceiling to hold yourself up when you pee. I consider it a safety feature.

They can also be used as a "mile high club" simulator.

Dec 31, 05 2:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: