anchor

So what did ya get for Xmas?

e

best gift:$125 bottle of mezcal

Del Maguey Single Village Mezcal

Dec 27, 05 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

I was acting as federal air marshal of this thread.

Dec 27, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Good job. Can we go now?

Dec 27, 05 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

me too, WOnderK! I'm leaving the office now too, yay! To go home and work on a slab plan after dinner yay!

...til tomorrow, ya'll - thanks for making this week in the office more bearable...

Dec 27, 05 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
brandonmhorn

so "superheavy"

I guess I know what my online distraction for the upcoming semester will be

Dec 27, 05 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

dropped that damn book of liberty's on ma foot! merry christmas bah!

Dec 27, 05 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

sex is totally overrated. this doesn't mean i don't like it sometimes though.

Dec 27, 05 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
joed

sex is totally underrated.

Dec 27, 05 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm with you, joed.

(Only 5 more days for me to thread highjack thusly (see New Year's Resolution thread))

Dec 27, 05 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

lb, the neighbor (aka "beatledud") got that book for christmas and I went over to play with it.

The book, not the neighbor.

Anyway, damn that thing is gi-normous. I think it weighs 20 pounds or something? And opened up it's about 3'x3'? Christ. It's beautiful though, and not as pricey as I would have expected. And by that I mean less than $200. Well done. I'm going to have to save up for that one.

Dec 27, 05 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i got;

Dec 27, 05 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

On the 23rd of December, my bag fell open on the sidewalk and I dumped a few things. I didn't notice it at the time, but one of the things that fell out was a small case of drawing tools: lead holders, leads, technical pens, technical pencils, erasers, etc etc etc.

Yes, I was pretty distraught.

But karma was looking down at me, somehow. My girlfriend's father is a mechanical designer, and he gave me an entire shitload of his old supplies to replace what I had lost, in addition to some scales, lead pointers, compasses... So that was great.

Also scored a HUGE rotary tool set with everything I could possibly need for attachments. Looks like I'll be spending the next couple of weeks in the basement workshop!

Dec 28, 05 12:28 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Oh, and I also got a new drafting table. Remember those? I love drawing, so that's good.

It's been a very architect-y christmas.

Dec 28, 05 12:29 am  · 
 · 

WonderK and lb you gals are too much :)
By the way WonderK no matter what you say now it sounds funny. Man back to middleschool for me.

Dec 28, 05 10:49 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

my dad got me a mug with the elevation of the New Hampshire Historical Society's building in Concord, combining two of my favorite things.. NH and architecture

Dec 28, 05 11:14 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

+q, that's pretty much what I've been going for all along. I can be a bit blunt which is why I try to add a tinge of wit to everything I say. And there's nothing wrong with having a juvenile sense of humor except for the occasional offensive poop joke.

There I go changing the subject again. Where's that federal air marshall.....

Dec 28, 05 11:36 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I think WonderK and I specialize at middle school humor.

Does that federal air marshal wear a uniform? mmmmm.....

Dec 28, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

I got a pocketbook version of the phaidon atlas from my boss and $100...i used part of that hundred bucks to buy my boss and his wife a large wooden fish platter...

Dec 28, 05 11:50 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Dec 28, 05 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I got a new Surfboard - 6'-2" Cannibal Twin Fin with a Futures Set-up for my trip to Cabo Matapalo

A new Digi camera

Some new Kicks [high top dunks]

Some cd's - new spankrock and bmore gutter music

Argyl socks

Dec 28, 05 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

and this:

great reading

Dec 28, 05 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

lb and peoples,

Wonderk speaks the truth, I did get the Phaidon Atlas book for x-mas from my folks. My list consisted of a plane ticket and that book! I also got socks!

The book is fantastic. My plan is to study and significantly know the entire book! (about a month a region...maybe 2 months for Europe).

And the price is just right. I believe the suggested retail value of it is $160, but my parents got it off Amazon or Barnes and Noble for like $125. B&N has always had a copy in stock whenever I would go in there to man handle the monsterous thing (I speak of the book ofcourse).

Dec 28, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

This is the part where I make a wry comment about man handling and how I'm not doing much of that these days either.

Dec 28, 05 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

WonderK, you should spend more time manhandling beatledud's book, that'll build your muscles for any other manhandling that comes along.

My husband bought mine on sale plus an educational discount from the school bookstore, I think.

And agreed, beatledud, it is an amazing resource. Plus will look cool in my office (someday when my office has better digs than my partner's knotty-pine-paneled basement).

Dec 28, 05 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

Hmmm yes a kodak V530 (to replace the busted Cybershot 717); a hip faslk for those lonely all-nighters at work (engrave of course from the honey); and Troppo Architects. Granted two out of three of those gifts were from me :-)

Dec 28, 05 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Liberty Bell - although I had my lover with me for Christmas I didn't get any sex :-( But I haven't lost hope ;)

Abra what kind of prescriptions you picking up old boy? I begin to wonder (not K) hmmm ok.

Oh and as the song said, "if you think sex is overrated you just ain't doing it right" - Kanye West

Dec 28, 05 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
archidose
Dec 28, 05 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

j you really cashed in. i miss you.

Dec 28, 05 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

(Remember, it's not whatcha got, but whatcha give)

Anyway....... The Executioners Song by Norman Mailer, a video game I picked out which isn't the greatest (oh well), some shocks and brakes for the mountain bike (so when it stops snowing etc), a $50 gift certificate to JCPenny, a few sweet thoughtful things from wifey, and almost-useless shit from everyone else. (not that it really matters) I'm sure many other people didn't fare as well (well a Christmas tree up their asses!) ;) Never enough time off to do other things, always more damn bills (I shouldn't complain so much!) Some money and (some parts to a Mustang GT... I gotta find that song again) Until next year! (thank God that getting me architecture shit stopped years ago, heehee)

Dec 28, 05 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i just got a cd in the mail. dont know who its from or what it is. its from amazon. i am opening it now...it is from my pal silent bob. it is a cd of Jimmy Smith's House Party. A little housewarming present. Nice.

Dec 28, 05 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
e

vado, that's a good one ya got. i have it. i got the amazing jimmy smith trio: live at the village gate, never before released performances on vinyl from a friend. enjoy.

Dec 28, 05 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yeah he can really wail on that organ(no giggling wonderk or liberty bell)i;m talkin about the instrument...

Dec 28, 05 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
AP

and

Dec 28, 05 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

4 bottles of wine from my in-laws
i-pod from hubby

Dec 28, 05 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

oh, and 1/2 oz northern lights

Dec 28, 05 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
Christopher Connock

archidose -

i got the pro-Ject debut last christmas.

i love the fishing wire for the counterweight! this is affordable hifi at its finest kids.

my uncle's record collection was under the tree this xmas - including this gem:

Dec 28, 05 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
AP

nice Strawbeary, nice.

Dec 29, 05 12:02 am  · 
 · 
karadsheh

a studio table to go in my new house!!

Dec 29, 05 12:34 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i got a 12.5v drill, an alarm clock/home docking station for my ipod, and a 300g external hard drive...oh, and a new set of pots and pans, and the towering inferno on dvd.
i feel spoiled.

Dec 29, 05 10:50 am  · 
 · 
mwad

12" Compound Miter Saw
5" Random Orbit Sander
Home Depot Gift Cards
Fancy Jeans
Massage Pad for my Back

Dec 29, 05 11:06 am  · 
 · 

I'm going on a boat with a rear spolier.

Dec 29, 05 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

additional goodies that have manifested in the past couple days:
1. subscription to Fine Woodworking Magazine
2. dovetail saw
3. cross-cut/rip pullsaw
4. English flush-cut saw
5. bench plane

Dec 29, 05 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I got:
1. Nice headphones for recording
2. Subscription to Wired
3. Money
4. More time spent with family and friends in the form of broken tibia and fibula resulting in 2 surgeries. Once I get out of this hospital you can find me over in the insurance thread. One thing at a time... one thing at a time.

Pixel, your gifts remind me of my gifts last year. I got a dovetail saw. And these really cool vise grips (I know, not woodworking, but super useful). The flush-cut would be great... Maybe next year...

Dec 29, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

Zoë's present for me.

Dec 29, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Aww, garpike, that's so sad! At least you are able to take a positive outlook on it!

Javier, have fun - I'm sure the onboard entertainment will be Broadway-quality!

Dec 29, 05 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

Every page of every New Yorker from 1925 to Feb 2005, completely searchable. Includes ads, cartoons, everything.

The interface is a little clunky but other than that, a joy.

Dec 29, 05 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

WOW! NSJ, that is an amazing resource!! Could easily keep you busy for the rest of this lifetime!

Dec 30, 05 10:19 am  · 
 · 
JAG

I got my GF a 4gig nano, earings and movies of people doing 'it'.

I got a trip to vegas...essentially a whole weekend full of 'it'.

Dec 31, 05 3:13 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Thanks, lb. It really isn't too bad. Positive is good! Oh wait. Was that redundant??

Jan 1, 06 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I got an FLW book (from the parents haha). But it's cool because I actually don't know a whole lot about him, so it will be good to brush up a bit. A rice cooker. Batman Begins on DVD from my sister. Prince of Persia 3 for Gamecube (I only get to play video games like 2 weeks a year). And the ZOOM G7.1ut amp modeler/effects processor/audio interface. I've been streamlining my rig since I realized that I am going to live in tiny apartments for the rest of my life and will never be in a band. It's a ton of fun to play with and I can record via USB into Cubase (came with it). So it was a good Christmas. Too bad I've been spending my break working on this stupid portfolio competition. I bought an Epson R220 printer for that. It's also pretty sweet. $100 gets you full bleed 8.5x11, 6 colors, and CD printing. I enjoy that.

Jan 1, 06 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: