Archinect
anchor

Anyone know who did this house in switzerland?

impalajunkie

Intrigued by the wood finish on this (posted by Signum on his photo page), i'm guessing it has to be some sort of tongue & groove, or i'd think the boards would warp apart, especially in the swiss winters.
Anyone know any more on this?

Dec 22, 05 9:04 am
Sean Taylor

Don't know about this house in particular, but I have done tongue & groove clear heartwood cedar siding a couple of times. I have used in both horizontally and vertically, and I will say that although the horizontal application looks better initially, the vertical looks better over time.

When using it horizontally, we made sure that the tongue was facing up so that any water penetration in between the two boards would not sit in the groove and warp the wood. But, even with this, over time the face of the boards did not remain perfectly flush and there were small shaddow lines (very small, but distinguishable) on the surface which did not happen with the vertical siding.

On another job where we wanted a horizontal siding, we had the tongue and groove custom made so that the tongue was a shy 1/8" longer than the groove. This made a small, horizontal pinstripe reveal between each board, which made the shaddow intentional and hid the movement over time. Very expensive, but looks great.

We used clear heartwood cedar on all of the jobs and had the contractor purchase 300% of the amount we needed. We then culled out the darkest boards and the boards with bad grain characteristics (yes there were a couple even with clear heartwood). Although extremely expensive, it is the only way to get the level of consistency we were after since we used an transparent finish with a slight amount of pigment in it just to tint the wood.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but that has been my experience anyway.

Dec 22, 05 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

One last thing, although we all would like to see the horizontal siding mitre around the corner, this is a bad detail in a climate where humidity is not consistent. Therefore, we have typically used a very small (1x1) flush corner board detail which conceals the endgrain of the siding.

Dec 22, 05 10:27 am  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

thats exactly what i was looking for thank you

Dec 22, 05 10:29 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Wow tyvek, 300% of what was needed?!?! You need to find a better lumber yard. Not sure where you are but Bonhoff in LA will lay out all their stock and pick and choose your boards before milling.

Dec 22, 05 10:38 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Thanks for the tip on the mitre at the corner though, good stuff.

Dec 22, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

To some extent encapsulating the boards with the finish prior to installing may help with the effects of weather over time.

Dec 22, 05 11:17 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

We always backprime in order to encapsulate the boards, and we prime every cut b4 install.

300% - is this based on the sq. ft. of the elevations, or of the calculated lin. ft. needed factoring cuts?

I could easily see 175% of the actual area of ea. elev. due to the nature of the material installation process.

Dec 22, 05 11:55 am  · 
 · 
whistler

We have also done a dato cut to the back side ( like flooring ) to ensure that the stress is relieved from the wood, also check out the grain so it doesn't cup to the outside.

Dec 22, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

how do you think they did the corners on the house in the picture? they're obtuse, and it looks like a mitre from here

Dec 22, 05 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

The 300% number came from the contractor. Don't actually know what it was based on other than they said that they "ordered 300% of what they needed" for culling purposes.

As you probably know, cedar comes in a very wide range of colors, even clear heartwood. We culled the boards into 4 different piles and then used the best pile (almost perfectly homogenous in terms of color & grain) on the most important areas. And of course everyting was back primed prior to install and all cut ends finished during installation (this is just standard construction practice in my career).

The house in the image very well may have a mitre detail. When I first looked at images that used horizontal cedar siding, they used a mitre detail. And of course you can do what you want based on your own weather conditions, design sensibilities, etc. But, in the Northeast, where humidity conditions change fairly drastically from summer to winter, a mitred corner would probably open up over time. Therefore, we came up with a solution which maintained the flush condition, but did not expose the endgrain.

By the way, a 1x1 flush corner board is trickier than it sounds with a 1x siding. But, I'll leave some things for others to figure out on their own.

Good luck.

Dec 23, 05 11:00 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

1x beveled siding?

Dec 23, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 
siggers

Ehm, only just saw this post - interesting reading anyway!

p.s. I have no idea where I put that picture up on my webpage...how curious...

Mar 4, 06 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

although looking at the link does actually tell me that...durrr a late night.

Anyway, that house might look good in the photo, but I thought it was laughably out of context in Vals.

So there!

Mar 5, 06 6:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: